Skip to content

Find it annoying

Anyone else find it annoying or kind of dumb that they changed the item "Only usable by" to "Not usable by" and then proceeds to list different classes/kits that cant use that item?

For example, the short sword +1 says "Not usable by" and list 11 classes/kits.

Comments

• MikePXPMikePXP Member Posts: 54
    I'm playing the original game (BG1 engine) as I type this looking at the description of an item that says "Not Usable By:"
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    I read a discussion about it somewhere on the forums, at least a couple of months before release, I believe some of the developers were involved, where they weighed pros and cons.
    Can't remember the specifics, but I believe it was that way in BG1, and they were discussing whether to keep it that way, remove only some, or remove most or all.

Would try and find the thread for you if it still exists, but the search function on this site is abysmal, so you're on your own if you want to read it and maybe find out why the decision was made to choose this.

Bear in mind that the developers was very careful not to change or remove too much from the original, for several reasons, some being that they didn't want to alienate the existing fans of BG, and also being careful not to ruin a great game by cutting too much stuff.

My opinion?
    I think it's fine, doesn't bother me in the least.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited December 2012
    It was changed so the restrictions could be handled by code rather than typed out and maintained by hand in every string. There are still some bugs with the header, but they're sorting it out. :)