Skip to content

Attacks of Opportunity

LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
On contrary to 3e games in BG you can shoot with your bow in the middle of a melee unpenalized and ignore melee enemies by just wallking past them (and melee NPCs targeting your mage also just walk past your fighters).
AoO would be a great addition, even to an AD&D 2nd Ed game (I believe something like this is already in ToEE, don't remember anymore if it was in IWD2 too - but if so, the proper code probably already exists.

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    Actually, engaging in melee combat with a ranged weapon grants the opponent a +4 bonus to their attack rolls in AD&D (and BG).

AoO would imho be hacky to implement in the IE because of its (mostly) real time nature.
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    Right, I didn't know about the +4, that is already sufficient. Maybe the same could be done if someone engaged in melee walks away from the engaged opponent. Of course AI would have to consifer that.
    I've just found the paragraph about Attacks of Opportunity in the AD&D Player's Option: Combat & Tactics.

Attacks of opportunity occur when a threatened character or creature ignores the enemy next to it or turns its back on a foe. The threatening enemy gets to make an immediate melee attack (or sequence of attacks for monsters with multiple attacks) against the threatened creature. Attacks of opportunity cannot be performed with missile weapons. This is a free attack that does not take the place of any actions the threatening creature had already planned. A creature can't make more than one attack of opportunity against a single opponent in the course of a combat round, but if several enemies leave themselves open, the creature can make one free attack against each one. There is a limit to the number of attacks of opportunity a single creature may make in one round. Warriors and monsters can make three attacks of opportunity plus one per five levels or Hit Dice. All other characters can make one attack of opportunity plus one per five levels. Thirty kobolds trying to swarm past a fighter in a narrow passage will take losses, but some will still get through. Surprised characters and monsters cannot make attacks of opportunity during the round in which they are surprised.

Since every change to the existing rules in Baldur's Gate must go through an approval pipeline before the devs can work it in, and the devs already tight with time, I'd say this would be better left to mods (I'm fairly certain it doesn't take the source code to implement).
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    Interesting though, I thought AoO came with the third edition.
    edited June 2012
    Yeah, that's what I thought too. The AD&D Player's Option handbooks are packed full of stuff I thought came from 3rd Ed., in fact.