Skip to content

[Request] Lifting party splitting restrictions

LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
Current behaviour:
Many map exits demand, that you have to gather your party before travelling forth.

Using the CLUAConsole:MoveToArea(NAME) command repeatedly on different single characters for different distant large areas clearly shows, that the engine is quite capable of handling 6 characters on 6 distant large maps very well. So entirely ditching the "You have to gather your party ..." would be doable. Should it? Yes, it should, for 2 reasons:

a) Single Player mode: There are absolutely absurd places where this limit applies: For example I can't sneak with my thief past the guards down the stairs in Saerk's house (Bridge district) because the stairs say "You have to gather your party ....", so I need to make the entire party walk invisibly into a bunch of guards just in order to let my thief scout the first floor. There are dozens of places like this.

b) Multiplayer mode: The greatest virtue of BG compared to later, prettier but more boring RPGs is, that it offers a huge non-linear mesh of main quests and side quests. And BG1 also has some nice wilderness areas suitable for multiplayer fun. BG2 has an even better quest mesh (actually the best I've ever seen), but, like in BG1 even in multiplayer mode you have only 1 main player/PC who does all the dialogue decisions, while the other players in the net can only attend passively. Right, you can storm Watcher's Keep together, but that's it.

Desired behaviour:
Remove that condotion entirely from the game.

Woudn't it be absolutely GREAT if people could behave like on a LARP convention, just online, and teamspeak stuff like "Right, you go inquire at the inns, I gonna talk to all the peasants, and you are checking what stuff the merchants in this city have to offer? And if we want to intrude some enemy base or someone cries for help while fleeing, we gonna meet and fight together? This wouldn't be as complicated as it may sound, because the engine basically already has every capability required. And with the slight addition of a "Teleport to Friend" item/spell this could be even more optimized. BG2 is technically able to handle multiplayer, but actually it wasn't half as much fun playing multiplayer compared to BG1, despite being the more advanced game. This tweak would be a true ENHANCED asset.
Post edited by Lunever on

Comments