Skip to content

Multi Fighter-Mages Support Group

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
I know a number of us are playing multi-class Fighter-Mages. Some are playing evil, some with mixed alignment parties, etc. Some playing elf, some half-elf, some gnome. Some choosing melee, some going ranged. Some mainly buffing prior to battle, some trying to cast in the midst of melee.

Fellow Fighter-Mages, how are you finding this choice of class thus far in BG:EE? In particular, is the combat playstyle you decided on working out for you? And what did you roll up stats-wise? Weapons choices?

Myself, I'm playing a CG half-elf Fighter-Mage (now at F4/M3)

Str 18/56
Dex 16
Con 12
Int 18
Wis 10
Cha 10

Long Swords ++
Two Weapon Style +++

I rolled him up within a minute, in only about two dozen rolls. I haven't felt the average Con at all. (I guess I could have spent more on Con at the cost of Int, but I doubt it will really matter in the long run.)

Rest of the party: Imoen, Viconia, Rasaad, Neera, and Dorn. This composition is working out great.

And I have to say, I'm very pleased so far with the unarmored/spellcasting during melee approach. For example, I just took on Melium (sword fighter at Firewine Bridge) with my F/M at Fighter 4/Mage 3... mano a mano...a contest just the two of them... and I immediately Blinded him--then kited him. I basically avoided all but one successful hit by him, as I danced around. I would preferred to have slapped Ghoul Touch on him, actually. But I had replaced that spell in the spellbook with Glitterdust in order to try it out.

Anyway, that was a really fun and satisfying use of magic + melee.

Otherwise, I find that I am very much able to cast spells--sometimes right at the start of battle before rushing in, but also right during the thick of the fight. I don't think I've had spellcasting interrupted even once so far. My PC is only a level 3 Mage, and therefore I only have level 1 and 2 spells to choose from. So I'm mainly using Sleep, Charm, Blindness, Horror, and Ghoul Touch.

I'm now curious to try Ray of Enfeeblement as well (casting time = 2, which works well during combat). I'm assuming that enemies in full plate will be immobilized by their Str dropping to 5; and therefore also not receiving any Strength bonuses if they can even lift their weapon(s) and/or shield. It only lasts 1 round/caster level. But it might make a nice finishing spell for an injured opponent.
Post edited by Lemernis on

Comments

• I thought this was an AA-style meeting for people addicted to playing Fighter/Mages. "Hi, my name is Kaigen, and I play Fighter/Mages." "Hi, Kaigen." "I tried to cut back, start over, and try something new, but the next thing I knew, I had rolled up a Blade..."

Seriously, though, I've been playing a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist and having fun with that. I've mostly been using my own spellcasting for utility (Identify, Knock, Protection from Petrification, etc.) and letting Neera (and now Imoen) call down the thunder so I can wear armor in combat. Put two pips in Katana (why not?) and two pips in Longbow at the start. Scraping together enough gold in Candlekeep for the Katana and Comp. Longbow from Winthrop was a stretch, but I managed to do it by using the Firebead easter egg, forcing locks in the inn, and selling that dagger +1 you get. Early on I alternated shooting with my bow with taking hits on the frontline, then settled into archery once Jaheira was sturdy enough to tank full time. Now I'm at about the same XP level as you and am moving back into the frontline.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Kaigen said:

I thought this was an AA-style meeting for people addicted to playing Fighter/Mages. "Hi, my name is Kaigen, and I play Fighter/Mages." "Hi, Kaigen." "I tried to cut back, start over, and try something new, but the next thing I knew, I had rolled up a Blade..."

Lol! Nice.

I'm still waiting to find katanas. None to be found at Thunderhammer. But then again it would probably be a dealer in rare and exotic items, not a weapons and armor smith with traditional skills that would have them. I'll guess I'll come across them eventually. I'll see about putting some pips into katana next. For the time being dual-wielding long swords is proving a solid choice, though. But that's no surprise.