Skip to content

HOW TO: Syncing Multipule Saves Windows/Linux

blwavgblwavg Member Posts: 0
I have three computers at home. Two of them are Win7 and Win2008 and one of them is Ubuntu 12.10.

Server Setup
I have copied my save folder from C:\users\MYUSER\My Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition to my server on a share (remember to give read write permissions for users accessing the share!).

Windows Shares
- Mapped my win7 machine to the drive containing the share.
- Make a link from the mapped drive to C:\users\MYUSER\My Documents\
---Note: The link must be named "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition". You will notice if it is names incorrectly when you open the game and you have two folders under C:\users\MYUSER\My Documents\. Just delete the file name and delete the duplicate.

Linux:
Prereqs:
blwavg said:

sudo apt-get install cifs-utils

Copy this line to /etc/fstab (words in all caps you need to change to match your system):
blwavg said:

# Share Baldurs Gate
//SERVERIP/SHARE/Baldur\047s\040Gate\040\055\040Enhanced\040Edition /home/LINUXHOMEFOLDER/Baldur\047s\040Gate\040\055\040Enhanced\040Edition cifs username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD,uid=1000 0 0

NOTE: the \040 and other random garbage are octal form of the acsii characters them selves. You can find a decent map of it here - http://www.csgnetwork.com/asciiset.html

SERVER = The ip address of the machine hosting the folder
eg. 192.168.1.111

SHARE = The path of the file share
eg. //192.168.1.111/superawesomeBGEEfolder

LINUXHOMEFOLDER = The home folder for Lunix (duh)
eg. /home/bob/

USERNAME = The user name setup on the windows server that has permission to access the file
eg. administrator (please do not actually do that)

PASSWORD = The password of the user listed a few lines above
eg. mypassword

From the CLI type:
blwavg said:

mount -a

--note during reboot or doing the "mount -a" command sometimes created a root protected folder under your home directory looking something like "Baldur\047s Gate \055 Enhanced Edition" just delete it (if you have root that is). It still should mount to the properly named file.

NOTE1: There are several ways in which you can do a cifs mount this file, I would recommend using ~/.smbcredentials, for the password. I just wanted to make this HOW TO easy.

NOTE2: The launcher for BGEE does not play nice in linux. If you copy the folder over and open the file under "/home/USER/.wine/drive_c/program files (x86)/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/Data/0076/Baldur.exe", it should work just fine.

DISCLAIMER: BACKUP YOUR SAVED GAMES! I am not responsible for you following my crappy advice and mucking something up.