Skip to content

New Baldurs gate Game or forgotten realms game.

MerlinMerlin Member Posts: 15
Id like to see new Bg or some kind of Forgotten realms D&D game after these Enhanced editions of BG1 and 2.
of course it would be nice to see them with the LEGENDARY infinity engine without any stupid fancy 3d graphics
like most of these days gamers are after.
I just like to see a good and intense story.

Comments

• StradlinStradlin Member Posts: 142
    I'd love Infinity 2.0 using MMO set in Sword Coast. Something that would remind of Ultima Online.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    I couldnt have said it better Winthal and Merlin. There is no "magic" or soul in most of these flashy "awesome button smashing" newer games...
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    How about a DarkSun game?
  • JackalenJackalen Member Posts: 8
    We're committed to iso-party based games for the forseeable future. As long as we can make enough money to eat that is. We promise to limit the 3D splashy over the top crud and make good RPGs.

-Trent
    This makes me very happy. Baldur's gate and games like it are legendary and immortal, and now returning even better? One could almost call this a renaissance of the good old rpg games. I am hopeful that you the devs will be around for a long time to come.
  • Girth_WargearGirth_Wargear Member Posts: 10
    We're committed to iso-party based games for the forseeable future. As long as we can make enough money to eat that is. We promise to limit the 3D splashy over the top crud and make good RPGs.

-Trent
    This makes me happy too! I'll buy 3 copies so you can eat well.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I promise to tell all my friends how awesome these games are and try to ensnare them into them.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    @smeagolheart, i've been trying quite a few times to allure acquaintances into Infinity Engine and some other "old-school"(mostly isometric) games; not many people appreciate these games; everything has to be flashy nowadays.

“Much ostentation vain of fleshly arm.” Milton.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566

-Trent
    I've got three copies of Baldur's Gate (and expansions), I'll probably get a few of the EE as well, and I'll rope my friends into getting it (Already have four who will).
    I'm usually a stingy dwarf, but quality deserves to be rewarded!

• CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    One of the reasons I still play Baldur's Gate is that I just *hate* changing camera angles and so on. I tried to play Neverwinter Nights and had to quit because I just couldn't get past the fact that the movement system was so unintuitive and complex compared to the nice simple 2D isometric where you click somewhere/something on the map and then can go there. 3D is a massive step backwards in terms of user friendliness.
    edited June 2012
    One of the reasons I still play Baldur's Gate is that I just *hate* changing camera angles and so on. I tried to play Neverwinter Nights and had to quit because I just couldn't get past the fact that the movement system was so unintuitive and complex compared to the nice simple 2D isometric where you click somewhere/something on the map and then can go there. 3D is a massive step backwards in terms of user friendliness.
    I agree I hated NWN at first. After it had been out a few years and patched and expansioned I took another look at it. They did fix the camera issues, it was later possible to have a much better camera experience. I played most of the first two single player campaigns and they weren't that great but back in the day I had a great time online one of the hosted worlds some people had made.

• DamageIncDamageInc Member Posts: 14
    I agree I hated NWN at first. After it had been out a few years and patched and expansioned I took another look at it. They did fix the camera issues, it was later possible to have a much better camera experience. I played most of the first two single player campaigns and they weren't that great but back in the day I had a great time online one of the hosted worlds some people had made.

Honestly its a good system once you get used to the non-isometric gameplay. The issue when it came out was that the original story design was dreadful (non-expansion, hotu was very fun imo).

What I really want to see is a Planescape remake. That game was so original while still feeling extremely familiar. The first playthrough of that was one of my favorite gaming experiences ever.
    What I really want to see is a Planescape remake. That game was so original while still feeling extremely familiar. The first playthrough of that was one of my favorite gaming experiences ever.
    Planescape with the widescreen mod is playable today. A little clunky and all when compared especially to BG2 but definitely playable.

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited June 2012
    @razor, we will soon know it, when this forum become open to registration and has a link to it in the official game site.

When that happen, i will make what advertisment i can here on Brasil sites/forums of RPG, i hope ppl do the same in their respective countries, and based on the number of visits and registrations this forum get, we will have an slight idea of the actual repercussion of BG:EE even before the game is launched.

They can play with the news too, and send the new infos about BG:EE in articles to sites like Metacritic, gamespot and etc even before post that in the official site (what make the info more valuable as is an exclusive article). An agreement with gamefaqs would be nice also, before any marketing of the game is done, put an exclusive poster on gamefaqs main page can call some curious looks to the game.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited June 2012
    Eurogamer has been following Trent's tweets at least, and before BGEE was announced (I think we only had the teaser website at the time) they actually had a feature article talking about BG1. Not sure how big eurogamer is, but there's interest in reporting about BGEE.
  • yazgangyazgang Member Posts: 41
    New forgotten realms game with infinity engine!
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    @smeagolheart: exactly, i also hated nwn at first but managed to finish it last year. it was not so bad but i never got over tactical advantage of isometric perspective. i also vastly prefer the bg style dialogue...
    @DamageInc: i agree, planescape is one of crown achievements in gaming history. i saw few twits from trent telling they are looking to enhance it. that game could sure use some serious rework of combat system and ui. it had the best looking spell icons (and effects) in my opinion though...
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited June 2012
    @trinit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJyUQ7zarS8
    Best. Spell. Ever.

Do feel kinda bad for that poor Thug though...
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    @Communard: ...

i've yet to see high level spells feel epic like this ones. damn, nostalgia sure hits hard... :')
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    We're committed to iso-party based games for the forseeable future. As long as we can make enough money to eat that is. We promise to limit the 3D splashy over the top crud and make good RPGs.-Trent
    I will buy BGEE 10 times if that can get me more isometric party based RPGs.

• YorleenYorleen Member Posts: 150
    As for France, contacting the Game One & No Life TV channels, that might be helpful to advertize. :) I'll try and see if the comperes can be contacted via Facebook or Twitter.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    A Dark Sun game would be boner-worthy, provided the original AD&D source material was used and the AD&D rules set was used as a base. 4th Ed. (which I was never a fan of) changed a lot of things in Dark Sun. Now, I was never a Dark Sun player and I don't know the specifics but I know this: Dark Sun was, together with Planescape, one of the most highly regarded campaign settings ever released. There must have been a reason. You do not change what already works well. Period.

Another Planescape game would be great, but with Torment to match, the bar may be set too high for it to be even feasible (and even if it was feasible, I don't see many devs out there willing to take up the challenge: living up to a game like Torment is a gargantuan feat - and that's a gargantuan understatement if we consider the average modern game synopsys).
  • carugacaruga Member Posts: 375

-Trent
    I think I know what you're saying, but I don't associate 3D with being inferior to isometric which is what might come across here. I think gameplay is more important than whether the engine is rendering polygons or plotting tiles. I wouldn't consider it sacrelige if BG or other classics were converted to 3D. :)
    edited June 2012
    I believe planecape campaign setting doesnt exist anymore since D&D changed how they viewed planes and cosmology. I think I saw an interview with Chris Avellone a couple years ago saying this.
  • looterlooter Member Posts: 12
    edited July 2012
    Isometric games are special and ageless in a way, I can go back to some 3D games from the same age as BG and cringe, yet high quality 2D-art games can easily compete with modern games in terms of looking great, BG, Age of Empires and countless other 2D games hold this truth for me, I play them to this day and think they look great. Not to mention the gameplay of BG is vastly superior to any modern RPG.
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113
    Yes please! More Forgotten Realms 2d iso with 2nd or 3rd ed rules! Modeling out a city like Waterdeep would be awesomness. Or the moon sea area or chult or calimshan. More more we want more. We always want more. That's what more is for :-)
    Seriously I'm a buyer of these for as long as you keep putting them out...I am NOT alone either...
    YOU WILL MAKE MONEY.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    Oh yes. I would love Calimshan and/or Waterdeep.

Though, now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind a Spelljammer campaign either. I mean, I have never played Spelljammer, it doesn't seem too widely known, yet the concept seems kinda kewl (also, wasn't it the setting that inspired the creation of the Planescape cosmology in the first place?). Yeah, a 2D isometric Spelljammer game with AD&D rules and an epic story like Baldur's Gate (or even like Ps:T, so long as BG-like gameplay is retained) would rule.