Skip to content

No Backstab for Stalker at level 1

wissenschaftwissenschaft Member Posts: 229
edited December 2012 in Not An Issue
Current behavior:

The Stalker has no backstab x2 at level 1. When I tried to backstab Firebead Elvenhair, I didn't get x2 damage. Only after leveling up did I gain the backstab x2.

Expected behavior: Stalkers should have Backstab x2 at level 1.
Post edited by Avenger_teambg on

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    I just tested the stalker and had no problems.

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but at the moment only weapons thieves can use can backstab even for a stalker. Axes cannot backstab for instance, but quarterstaves and clubs can. Did you try attacking him from behind and were you using a weapon for backstabbing (so short sword, long sword, quarter staff, club, dagger, etc)
  • wissenschaftwissenschaft Member Posts: 229
    I was using a long sword. Maybe I didn't quite attack him from behind. Odd.
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    Errrrm, as far as I remember, Stalker have bacstab x2 starting level 8. This has always been the normal way (x1, x2 and finally x3. Since in BG2 you starts at level 7-8 you started with backstab of x2). The problem is probably with the kit description though... Since it has changed. I'll look into it :)
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    Yeah the description needs to be changed......Stalkers aren't supposed to get early game backstab (8+ is the correct time for 2x), since unlike a thief, they get fighter exceptional strength bonus, fighter thac0 progression, extra attacks, specialization, free dual-wielding, charm animal, a stealth bonus, and greatly improved prof acquisition, and spell casting.
    edited December 2012

Yeah the description needs to be changed......Stalkers aren't supposed to get early game backstab (8+ is the correct time for 2x), since unlike a thief, they get fighter exceptional strength bonus, fighter thac0 progression, extra attacks, specialization, free dual-wielding, charm animal, a stealth bonus, and greatly improved prof acquisition, and spell casting.

The descriptions were the ones that were initially wrong, the manual descriptions were wrong compared to what was happening in game, and the character page (at least my character page for my test stalker) doesn't even mention the backstab damage even above level 8. Regardless, Stalkers were getting 2x backstab in BG2 at levels 7 and 8.
    If you want to continue discussing this you should probably move this to the "not an issue" category, make it a feature request, or put it into the general forum. But it is not a bug.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited December 2012
    There is a tobex feature that is not implemented (flagging weapons for backstab, even when thieves cannot use them). Until that, this cannot be changed.
    It has x2 in manual and in game description too.

There is a bugreport to display the multiplier correctly too.