Skip to content

[Request] Draining kills memorization selection

LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
Current behaviour:
Got a party of casters fighting undead? Soon you'll be sick of reselecting your memorized spells after every level drain + restoration.

Desired behaviour:
Somehow the original selection should be restored too by restoration.
Post edited by Lunever on

Comments

• GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited June 2012
    I wish that it set up the spells so that it just went back to normal as well, just would need to sleep to be able to use them again. It gets pretty frustrating when fighting vampires to go back to the books and rechoose every single spell again and again and again.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    edited June 2012
    @Anton - could you post a link to that request instead of its full description? In order to keep the fora clean, users who are interested in this feature (which is not a bugfix) should be redirected to that thread rather than led to keep posting in this one.
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    Didn't notice an existing topic despite having looked. Maybe my thread can be moderated over there.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    edited June 2012
    @AndreaColombo it looks as if the post by @Anton is from reddit, not another discussion on this forum:
    [Request] Remember spell choices after level drain
    (Reddit request by Swarnacle)
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    Right, I didn't know about Reddit before.
    Just to follow up, I did a search here for "remember spell choices after level drain" and got no results besides this discussion, so that is definitely just something he copied from Reddit.

@Lunever, this topic is fine, there isn't an existing one as far as I can tell.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I'll just move this to the Feature Requests then.

Maybe Lunever could add a [Request] tag to the topic title of the discussion?
    @jaysl659 - thanks. Then @Lunever did good to post it over here, as it's something that I fully support.
    As far as the topic goes, I support this. It's a minor inconvenience. it's not something that is too big of an inconvenience, as after restoration I just don't re-select them until the next time I'm somewhere where I'm about to sleep, like at an inn (so just something that that happens almost once every time I have to fight vampires, ultimately not too many times throughout the game). But as an inconvenience I'd like to see this fixed so that the spells you had selected before level drain were restored when the levels are restored.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I'd put it at moderate inconvenience. The spells should be disabled when you are level drained and re-enabled when you are not level drained. I suppose the current system makes sense in that if your mage is drained from level 10 to 5. Then restored from 5 to 10 he has to rememorize all that days spells since he now (again) has the power of a 10th level wizard after being a full (down levelled) level 5 wizard.
    @smeagolheart - true, but when you're a high level mage with several memorized spells it gets bothersome to rememorize them after being level drained. They should at least be kept in memory so that you don't have re-click them in and just have to rest to rememorize them.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    @smeagolheart - true, but when you're a high level mage with several memorized spells it gets bothersome to rememorize them after being level drained. They should at least be kept in memory so that you don't have re-click them in and just have to rest to rememorize them.
    that just might be an excellent compromise

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'm not sure if I agree with this.

I think it depends on what we expect from level drain. I kind of feel like by having the game like the way it is now it really makes it so that you act strategically to avoid level drain. Using summoning creatures, distracting vampires with someone who has the amulet of power on (or is an undead hunter), etc. It makes it a much more serious effect than say disease. So yes, I agree that it sucks when it happens. But, I kind of agree with keeping it just because of how big of a pain in the behind it can be when your spell casters are hit with level drain.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    i think it is pain enough that restoration causes fatigue and it is unlikely you will have more than two at the hand at the time. not to mention you rapidly lose levels and walk around like a weakling. in any case, you either pay nad usually have to rest anyway, so i think this management problem should be adressed.

i agree with spells being lost but not unmemorized. i recommend this to be posted in the bugs section, developers can always decide it is not a bug and ignore it.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    This doesn't really seem like a bug to me though, which is why I believe its a Request.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    @Tanthalus, it is a request. :)
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    @Tanthalas: i know it's not really a bug, i'm overreacting. ;)