Skip to content

Why isn't this on Steam?

n8lyn8ly Posts: 2
This is my favorite game series of all time... But, as i clicked to buy it i was redirected to beamdog and I really don't want to sign up for and purchase this from another steam ripoff site. Is there any hope of this coming to steam? Anyone else feel similarly about this?
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215
    This isn't a bug and has been addressed by the devs before.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    There should be a gear button on this page you can use. Click it and change the location of this thread to the general forum. Thanks.
  • xxxsmb1987xxxxxxsmb1987xxx Member Posts: 280
    Its not a bug, and its contract obligations.
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    You don't have to buy it from Beamdog. Well, you have to buy it from them, but you don't have to use their client. You can just buy the game, and play it on your computer. WHAT A CONCEPT HUH?
  • xxxsmb1987xxxxxxsmb1987xxx Member Posts: 280
    yea just download the installer instead of the client we all have know about this since July.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Because Steam is a horrible POS...like basically every other bastardized clone it's spawned.
  • n8lyn8ly Posts: 2
    Steam may be horrible and all that. But, it's also made pc gaming more accessible to your average person, there's actual sales, and I believe it's the most used platform of this type. It would just be awesome to get more people interested in this particular series. My bad on the bugs post... doesn't seem to be a way for me to move it out of the bugs section though even with the little gear button.
  • KomarrKomarr Member Posts: 80
    Regardless of how anyone feels about Steam, Wizards of the Coast (owners of D & D) set up some pretty strict rules about what Overhaul games could and couldn't do with the game. http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1588/bgee-please-read-list-of-things-that-cant-be-done/p1 While nothing is mentioned specifically about Steam or distribution platforms, WotC no doubt has the final say in that as well.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    @n8ly
    There's a long, long thread about this already somewhere, and I guess us longtime users of the forums are just tired of explaining why to new members here.

The fact of the matter is, that Beamdog is forced by contractual matters to not sell on Steam, also, they would have to pay a percentage to Valve to do so and loose money in the process.

Last, but not least, you don't have to use Beamdogs Client to install or play at all, so that's not an issue, its not like Steam, where you're locked to their Client to play.

When installing BG:EE it checks your account once when installing, and once the first time you play.
    After that you don't even need to be connected to the Internet, except of course, if you want the game to check for upgrades to the game.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Bytebrain said:

Last, but not least, you don't have to use Beamdogs Client to install or play at all, so that's not an issue, its not like Steam, where you're locked to their Client to play.

When installing BG:EE it checks your account once when installing, and once the first time you play.
    After that you don't even need to be connected to the Internet, except of course, if you want the game to check for upgrades to the game.

Ie. it works exactly like Steam. Always fun to see people who don't even know how Steam works.

@Messi

No, because you need Steam to install your games.
    You DON'T need Beamdog's Client (Store) to install BG:EE.

You just go to their website, download the independent standalone installer, that's it.
    Play the game, you don't ever have to visit Beamdog again, whether via their client or website.

• MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    edited December 2012
    Bytebrain said:

@Messi

No, because you need Steam to install your games.
    You DON'T need Beamdog's Client (Store) to install BG:EE.

You just go to their website, download the independent standalone installer, that's it.
    Play the game, you don't ever have to visit Beamdog again, whether via their client or website.

*points at the OP*

Pretty sure for people asking to buy this on Steam thats exactly the what they want... Rest being the same as I already pointed out.
    Well, then they're just shit out of luck aren't they?
    If they want the game, they'll go where it's available, like most normal straight thinking individuals.
    Not bitch about the fact that their preferred outlet doesn't sell it.