Skip to content

mouse responsivity

LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
edited February 2013 in Not An Issue
Often in BG the interface does not do what I want (i.e. quickly clicking on a character and then clicking on a position where I want him to go) for a very simple reason: The engine only registers the mouse click upon releasing the mouse button, not upon pressing it in the first place.

For a game that may include realtime combat I strongly recommend to invert this.

Also, I'd like to have a quicker responsivity regarding the pause key (space by default).
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• wbouvywbouvy Member Posts: 33
    This is actually normal behaviour in most games. If a click would be registered on mouse down, you would never be able to drag reliably (i.e. to reorder characters in your party, or select characters by dragging a box around them, or rotate formations,etc.) because a click would already be registered and acted upon.
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    also you couldn't cancel actions midway otherwise (like clicking to go somewhere, but before releasing the mouse button, change your mind and instead hold the button to select your party or something to cancel the action)
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    Good point - then I'll correct my suggestion:

If you do a SHORT click while moving the mouse, let the selection be where the mouse pointer was when the mouse button was pressed (not released). SHORT means obciously short enough that you don't intend to hold & drag.
  • wbouvywbouvy Member Posts: 33
    Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with using mouse up for clicks; if you do an actual click (down and up), there is no delay. You'd need to spend quite some time pressing down the mouse button during a click for you to notice any actual delay. I've personally never noticed any delay, but perhaps I'm just a fast clicker.
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    edited June 2012
    Then I should clarify the problem: When fighting more realtime and less autopause, I often click on y mage, cast a spell, click on my tank, make the tank walk in front of the party - and once again my mage cancels his spell, walks forward and gets killed because the engine didn't register my mouseclick on the tank portrait.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    @Lunever How is this in the beta?
  • DarksheerDarksheer Member Posts: 84
    Had the same problem, opened and cleaned my mouse and now it works just fine. Hopefully this does the trick for you too. :)