Skip to content

From one developer to another!

There seems to be a lot of criticism about Beamdog on this forum and I wanted to put in my two cents. I had some problems with crashing initially but I was able to resolve it by updating my graphics drivers. I have been able to play it for a couple of hours now with no other issues as far as I can tell. I want to congratulate everyone at Beamdog on the release of Baldur's Gate: EE.

As a software developer, I know the process intimately and just how much work is involved in the QA and testing. There are obviously some bugs and crashes to fix but I think everything will be addressed in time. I want to give you guys some support amongst all the unwarranted insults and criticisms.

Thanks and good luck.

Comments

• InkeytheRPGInkeytheRPG Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2012

There seems to be a lot of criticism about Beamdog on this forum and I wanted to put in my two cents. I had some problems with crashing initially but I was able to resolve it by updating my graphics drivers. I have been able to play it for a couple of hours now with no other issues as far as I can tell. I want to congratulate everyone at Beamdog on the release of Baldur's Gate: EE.

As a software developer, I know the process intimately and just how much work is involved in the QA and testing. There are obviously some bugs and crashes to fix but I think everything will be addressed in time. I want to give you guys some support amongst all the unwarranted insults and criticisms.

Thanks and good luck.

What criticisms are unwarranted? People who paid money for a product and can't use the product because it is broken? I agree there is alot of QA and testing involved in releasing a game, but that is usually done before a game is released, not after.

This is exactly like I paid $20 for an extended beta test.
  • ppnoirppnoir Member Posts: 9
    I agree with inkeytherpg
  • RPGFan1972RPGFan1972 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2012
    "I agree there is alot of QA and testing involved in releasing a game, but that is usually done before a game is released, not after."

A lot of the criticisms are implying that Beamdog did no QA before releasing the game which we all know is complete rubbish. Maybe they could have done a better job. Sure I can agree with that. The reality is that only people who have issues will be posting on the support forum which makes it seems like the game doesn't work at all. All the people who are able to play the game are enjoying it and not on here throwing insults at the company. I decided to make one post to show that there are people who are able to run the game.

Beamdog cannot test every specific hardware, driver, and OS configuration out there. If you are having issues, you need to email them your computer's specs and a game dump/log. Then be patient and give time for Beamdog to investigate and respond.

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Haters gonna hate. Angrys gonna be angry.

Overall, I've had few problems with BG:EE and I expect it will only improve as more technical 'rubs' are solved. All for the price of a couple of hamburger value meals...

All the people who are able to play the game are enjoying it and not on here throwing insults at the company. I decided to make one post to show that there are people who are able to run the game.

Beamdog cannot test every specific hardware, driver, and OS configuration out there. If you are having issues, you need to email them your computer's specs and a game dump/log. Then be patient and give time for Beamdog to investigate and respond.

You decided to go onto a support forum where people who are having trouble running the game so to ask for help and just say how great of a job the developers are doing? And this makes sense how?

If your game is running fine, why are you even reading the support forums?

I have tried this game on 3 different PCs now and it will not work properly on any of them. It is obvious that there was not enough testing done before this game was released. There is no other product in the world that doesn't work out of the box and the customers are just supposed to be patient and expect it to work eventually.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602

All the people who are able to play the game are enjoying it and not on here throwing insults at the company. I decided to make one post to show that there are people who are able to run the game.

You decided to go onto a support forum where people who are having trouble running the game so to ask for help and just say how great of a job the developers are doing? And this makes sense how?

If your game is running fine, why are you even reading the support forums?

I have tried this game on 3 different PCs now and it will not work properly on any of them. It is obvious that there was not enough testing done before this game was released. There is no other product in the world that doesn't work out of the box and the customers are just supposed to be patient and expect it to work eventually.
    Well, in the pc gaming world it's an expected event with every single release, simply because it cannot be prevented.
    Everybody has a right to a refund and will get it if they ask, but I've been through this before with other games, and because I understand it's inherent in the very nature of software/hardware relations, bugs can and will happen, so I try to see what I can do myself to rectify the issue, after that, I wait for a patch.

Also, there's a huge amount of pc owners that don't upgrade their graphics drivers, which account for many of the problems in many releases, not just with this one.

Playing games on a pc have always been somewhat on the users own diligence to keep their drivers and OS updates in optimum condition, it's not like owning a Playstation, the range of issues that can and will arise on our chosen platform is staggering.
    edited December 2012
    I have been playing PC games for a long time and this is the first game I have ever purchased that simply will not function.

I have had issues before, as anyone who has worked with computers has, and normally there will be some small fix required to get everything working as expected. This game doesn't work on 3 different PCs, all with different hardware.

Trying to say that this is not something that could not have been foreseen and that it is the users fault for not updating drivers is not helping the issue. The range of issues that can and will arise is staggering but that is the developers job. They can not release a faulty product and say "Well we tried our best but dang it sure is hard to get this game to work" and expect us that paid for nothing to sit back and wait.

I personally have already asked for my money back. I might try this product again in the future but not likely. I will just pop in the original Baulder's Gate CDs I bought close to 15 years ago and play that. And they will work too.