Skip to content

Am I in the minority?

DetDet Member Posts: 20
Are crashes and glitches common for everyone? I feel like I'm one of the only ones not having those issues from reading stuff around the internet. I've played BG:EE since day 1 and I've never had a slow down, crash, or any glitches (graphical and otherwise.) I've gotten through all of the game outside of the city and just entered Baldur's Gate if that helps show how much I've played so far.

I thought I would throw out my computer specifications because I'm generally curious about comparing it to others that are and are not having problems.

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Memory - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card - XFX Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 (Catalyst Version 12.10)
Hard Drive - Force Series GT 120GB SSD (Game is installed here)
Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Comments

• AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    I don't think you are in the minority. Quite the opposite, really. Everyone that can play, IS playing, and having a good time. Although when I take a break from it, I usually come here and read the QQ threads.

I'm glad you can play it, though. Hope you are having fun! =)
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    @Aosaw

You beat me to it, haha. Jinx? =D
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I'm only having minor issues. Starting the game in a window fixed all of them except the map comments crash bug. And the patch fixed that. So there =3
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    @captrory not an ideal solution, ideally there'd be no bugs. But that's life, gotta adapt!
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @stygga Pretty much. If you want to be an early adopter, you put up with the bugs. It's rare for me to get a game right when it comes out for that reason. Plus the price always goes down over time. But mostly the bugs. XD
  • RenulanRenulan Member Posts: 109
    Mine's been perfect, a lot of people are doing just fine. I had one small issue that i had to c-a-d, but it was incredibly minor that i pretty much made happen due to impatience.

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870 X2
    System Manufacturer: alienware
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9100 @ 2.26GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    HD: Samsung SSD RBX series 128 GB

(just copy pasted dxdiag)

• Arabus13Arabus13 Member Posts: 102
    The only issue I ever had was the random freeze. However, since the patch, that problem has not resurfaced..
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I've had a single crash when I attempted to change a map note (known issue apparently) and my mouse pointer used to disappear when using inventory if fullscreen was enabled, but that got patched... oh yeah, and the tooltip for the help button says "Rest" but that doesn't really impair me in any way.
  • BeastmanBeastman Member Posts: 42
    Det said:

Are crashes and glitches common for everyone?

Nope. It runs technically fine on my 2 PCS, too (aside from ingame "bugs")

1) Laptop. Acer Aspire 6935G + Win7 64bit

2) Desktop: 6GB RAM, Nvidia 8800 Ultra, Intel E6600, Win7 bit

• Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    There was a poll made one or two days after release, asking people if the game did run fine with them or not. When I voted, the result at that was 80% had their game working well, 20% not. So you're in the mayority. And it's a silent mayority, like pointed out above, they're busy playing the game right now.
  • Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    Okay, look.

Most everyone can run the game well. A very small minority of people experience game-breaking bugs. Most everyone here encounters SOME bugs... but only a handful out of the hundreds that have been reported.

The only bugs I know of that are universal involve the Journal menu, key-bindings and certain quests.
  • ST4TICStrikerST4TICStriker Member Posts: 162

Okay, look.

Most everyone can run the game well. A very small minority of people experience game-breaking bugs. Most everyone here encounters SOME bugs... but only a handful out of the hundreds that have been reported.

The only bugs I know of that are universal involve the Journal menu, key-bindings and certain quests.

The only real problem that people are having in any numbers is that intel cards arn't supported, which isn't a bug really, it's a compatibility issue and the number of people who can't get a work around to work is really small (I'm one of them :( )
  • pukingdogpukingdog Member Posts: 25
    game runs 99,9% flawlesly with me.
    i got some occasional icon flashing, and had a slowdown to a creep just once.
    restart handled that, didnt see it return.

some minor bugged quests, but i dont realy mind that.
    having a blast with the game.

asus rampage extreem mobo, intel core i7 975 proc at 4 ghz
    6 gig kingston hyperx memory
    nvidia gtx 590 video
    win 7 enterprise 64 bit
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Game crashes occasionally for me on area transitioning, and I ran into a bug during Dorn's quest.
    Other than that, it's working fine. The crashes happened when I should've gone to bed/the store/etc anyway, so maybe the game is just upgraded with a mind reading device too.
  • pukingdogpukingdog Member Posts: 25
    edited December 2012
    Drugar said:

Game crashes occasionally for me on area transitioning, and I ran into a bug during Dorn's quest.
    Other than that, it's working fine. The crashes happened when I should've gone to bed/the store/etc anyway, so maybe the game is just upgraded with a mind reading device too.

in guildwars they introduced the message 'you have been playing for x hours, please take a break' for that.

• joshykinsjoshykins Member Posts: 95
    edited December 2012
    You know, I think us AMD people are having a much better time of it. The only crash I've experienced was the custom note bug, where the game would crash when trying to make a custom note on the map. That was fixed in the last patch and I haven't had any crash since. I've noticed a handful of bugs here and there but that's to be expected really.

Windows 7 x64
    AMD FX8150 8 core @ 3.6ghz
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 (cat 12.10)
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaw
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited December 2012
    On my rig that plays the game, I've had only one crash when trying to leave the new area for Neera from the north.

The other issue is that, on the computer I have that runs the game, the windowed mode worked poorly for me re: moving the viewable screen within the map area around by pushing the mouse cursor into the edges of the game window. But that problem was easily solved by selecting Full Screen under game options for that to work properly.

The game relentlessly crashed the computer I was intending to play the game on, which unfortunately for me has a NVIDIA GEForce graphics card. That problem necessitated set-up of another older computer in my office that uses an ATI Radeon card. (I had been using it in my living room for the big screen TV.) So for me it was not a happy experience the night of the launch. All that eager anticipation... and I finally got the download after several hours... and then crash, crash crash... To make matters worse, I tried it on my laptop found it unplayable there as well.

Anyway, fortunately, I do have a computer that runs the game. And I'm having a wonderful time with the first playthough. Very stable with the right hardware.
  • yastruyastru Member Posts: 5
    working great, occasional sound bug which can be fixed by reloading or restarting game. no fps troubles, no mechanics and no quest troubles yet.
    good job overhaul, and thank you for returnin the best game ever to us.
  • VarkirielVarkiriel Member Posts: 3
    I'm also on an AMD system and the game is playing fine. The only odd thing I noticed was that when I was listening to Youtube at the same time as playing the game, the sound would cut out sometimes, removing the headphone and putting then back in seemed to sort this
  • mudrosermudroser Member Posts: 2
    I had flawless gaming experience so far, only broke the game a few times when I minimized it and then played other games/surfed the web with BGEE still open.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    I'm only having *one* minor issue with disappearing cursor in the inventory when plasing in full-screen mode. Well, I had, maybe it's been solved in the last patch, but I don't know because I've come to enjoy window mode. ;)
  • DMCDMC Member Posts: 44
    Once I got my game installed, it ran 99% flawlessly for me too. The only thing that gave me trouble was no initial mention of updating Microsoft NET Framework. Aside from that, I've only had the map point crash bug, and that's it. I have been thoroughly enjoying the speed and smoothness of the game, and I really don't understand all the hate I see spewed on the forums. I keep thinking to myself that some of these folks must be missing something or not reading for their PC's to be so buggy.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @Calmar There should be another option in the Graphics menu for Hardware Mouse that should help if you ever feel the need to go back to fullscreen.
  • szbszb Member Posts: 220
    Game didn't get past after character creation and crashed to desktop every time, but after I installed the latest video card drivers I had zero problems.
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    I have tried the game on two computers now. One had all sorts of bugs and problems, the other (a much older one!) was fine. It does seem to vary a lot depending on the machine.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    edited December 2012
    Well, I had a terrible glitch at day 1, but it disappeared after changing my graphic card options.
    Crashes also happen, but it's usualy because i often test things that normal people doesn't do xP

Other than that, the games run smoothly (some small bugs happen, like missing dialog strings, but it will disappear after a patch or two).
  • Google_CalasadeGoogle_Calasade Member Posts: 80
    I've had no issues. The only time I'm on the forums is when I switch from playing BG:EE (can't stop) to editing and then visa versa.
  • FFGFFG Member Posts: 52
    dont have any issues either
  • The_Guilty_PartyThe_Guilty_Party Member Posts: 44
    I've had very few issues. Mostly minor cosmetic things that you have to take a bit of effort to notice.

The original BG and BG2 had forums filled with people complaining and decrying the terribleness of everything, so don't let it bug you.