Skip to content

Candlekeep stealing WTF

I've just started again (yet one more time :)) and was getting busy with cleaning Candlekeep of any goodies before departing with Gorion. In the 'hospital' (?) building (bottom right corner of the map) there is a priest giving you a potion. There is also a closed locket. Which i forced open, was seen, guard (Watcher) came to take me in. We fought, he died. Took his armor etc. As i'm playing evil this is no problem for me RP-wise.

BUT - no one turned hostile, no reputation was lost, nothing. I just got myself a nice Plate Mail, cool looking helmet and 175 XP.

How come??

It will not backfire on me sometime later, right :) ?

Comments

• Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,063
    No, it will not backfire. This bug has already been reported and turned into a mess of a thread.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8544/reputation
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    edited December 2012
    Regarding this, I do think people should be a little nicer where you start from, seeing how this is basically a tutorial. Just tell you that you're not supposed to take what belongs to other people and leave it at that with a warning.

Also, did anyone see you killing that guard? Because then obviously there would be no hit to reputation or no one would turn hostile. After all, they don't know what they don't see, right?
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    Helm knows. The Watcher sees all. ;-)
  • jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
    @Chow is that the case? If i kill a civilian on second floor of Winthorp's Inn in Candlekeep, also no reputation hit as noone sees?

Will need to try that.

After all i'm evil, right?
    Visibility of your actions is not very important in the Baldur's Gate series.
    In Baldur's Gate 2 you can disguise yourself as a drow and order another drow in the Underdark to kill a human (make him explode) and somehow that reflects in your reputation.

I personally don't regard the warden's as wrong. True, Baldur's Gate is not nice to newcomers. But I find that's part of the charm. There is no real beginner's level. There is only the real world, which doesn't care if your level happens to start at 1. "Hello Freshmeat. I am bear. You look tasty."
    jolly_bb said:

@Chow is that the case? If i kill a civilian on second floor of Winthorp's Inn in Candlekeep, also no reputation hit as noone sees?

Will need to try that.

After all i'm evil, right?

Well, in fairness I'm pretty sure it will hit your reputation, and the behavior you pointed out happening was just a glitch. At least that's how it was in the original game, unless you installed the Virtue mod. But it really makes much more sense to be the way it was for you, hence my slightly joking post.

Tell me how it works out for you, though: maybe it was fixed for BG:EE?
  • TelemakusTelemakus Member Posts: 12
    @chow this isn't elder scrolls. Won't matter usually who does or doesn't see you.
    @Chow It wasn't fixed.
  • jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
    @chow yeah killing nobleman when no one sees me decreased my reputation by 3 BUT no guards shown up.
    Well, that's a bummer. I guess I wasn't expecting it to be fixed either, and to be honest it wasn't that high up on my list of things I wanted to see.

These things really don't come up in my games too often, the goody-two-shoes I am.
  • ServiusTheBearServiusTheBear Member Posts: 24
    Not to burst peoples bubble. This happens in the Original game. You can kill guards, but killing the nobles or innocents your rep will drop.
  • FentonFenton Member Posts: 38
    Happens in Vanilla BG too. I tried an thief many years ago to test this and well my halfling thief was caught and basically the guards hit me with the Candlekeep penalty.
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    @PugPug I got pulled over this morning. I didn't have the nerve to say that to the officer. I don't think she would have taken that well :P
  • ServiusTheBearServiusTheBear Member Posts: 24
    PugPug said:

Up yours, you uppity bald virgin.

I think I must have killed nearly all the guards. hehehe
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    edited December 2012
    I may have just killed all the watchers I could find in chapter 6 in Candlekeep, just because I could. Except for Hull of course. Someone has to be left to spread word of my evil deeds >:D
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803

Not to burst peoples bubble. This happens in the Original game. You can kill guards, but killing the nobles or innocents your rep will drop.

No.

In the original, if you kill guards, you will loose some reputation.

with my Paladin I always start stealing upstairs of Candlekeep Inn so that guards are summoned by nobles.

When I kill them (and collect their plate armor), I have always lost 4 of reputation.

I had then to be very careful if I didn't wanted to become fallen.

Currently, in BG:EE, my starting reputation is still the same after murdering them.

This is another bug that shall be fixed.

• szbszb Member Posts: 220
    edited December 2012

No.

In the original, if you kill guards, you will loose some reputation.

with my Paladin I always start stealing upstairs of Candlekeep Inn so that guards are summoned by nobles.

When I kill them (and collect their plate armor), I have always lost 4 of reputation.

I had then to be very careful if I didn't wanted to become fallen.

Currently, in BG:EE, my starting reputation is still the same after murdering them.

This is another bug that shall be fixed.

Nice to see people roleplaying their paladin so well.
    Post edited by szb on
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited December 2012
    szb said:

Nice to see people roleplaying their paladin so well.

Roleplaying on a computer game alone on your computer ?
    Not interesting at all.

Roleplaying with living people ?
    I'm in !
    Post edited by Aasimar069 on