Skip to content

improve how quests are initiated within private homes

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
There are quests that are initiated within private houses, and it would be unlawful or inappropriate to enter those homes without any knowledge that someone in need of an adventurer resides there. This has always been a flaw in the design of the original game.

I think the player should be pointed toward those quests by talking to other commoners in public areas, and/or from buying drinks/hearing gossip in taverns. And this can be done rather specifically, not vaguely. I.e., you're specifically told where to go and who to talk with. What the quest-giver needs help with doesn't have to be completely explained. But you can be pointed to talk to them (and most importantly where to find them).

It is the sort of thing that could be done in a mod. But it might also be an enhancement to the original game that WotC would give approval for Beamdog to implement. It's not changing content, just implementing it better.

Comments

• Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,063
    Reminds me of the old Northlands trilogy, where several quests wouldn't even be opened until you heard rumors about them in taverns.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited December 2012
    I don't think hearing about the quest should be a trigger, necessarily. But it does provide a roleplaying justification for non-evil and non-chaotic characters to enter a house when the party has no idea who lives there.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    I support this, not just for RP reasons but also for the sake of making the game as beginner friendly as possible.
  • MansenMansen Member Posts: 82
    I absolutely agree - One way could be to add them to the local tavern "rumors". And then inform players better about tavern rumors.

First one that springs to mind is the ring? outside of the Friendly Arms Inn that the woman misses.