Skip to content

Multicalssing questions in regards to BG:EE

I'm trying to make a multiclass fighter/ranger/rogue.

I started with a Ranger (just plain ranger) and upon reaching level 3, I wanted to take a level of fighter. But.. the option to add another class at level up, was not selectable. Is there an obvious rule in BG or D&D that I'm missing here that prevents me from taking a different class at this time?

FWIW, my stats are:

Str: 18/26
Dex: 14
Con: 18
Int: 16
Wis: 18
Char: 8

Comments

• PomPom Member Posts: 9
    Multiclass: you have to select all the classes you want to be at the start of the game.
    Dualclass: you can choose to add another class later ( humans only )
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I think you're mixing up the 2E rules used in BG:EE with 3E rules. If you want to multiclass, you have to choose the multiclass option in character creation. Also, fighter/ranger/rogue is not a vaild multiclass combo in BG:EE.
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    To elaborate:

Only humans can dual class in 2nd edition rules and as the name implies you can only take a second class. You can't do it again for a third.

Only demihumans (elves, dwarves, etc) can multi-class in 2nd edition rules and multiclass is chosen at creation. Different races are allowed different combinations.

As a dual-class human you cannot mix classes of the same type. Rangers, Paladins and Fighters are all "warrior" classes. You cannot dual from one of those to the other. The same applies to trying to go from mage to sorcerer I believe.
  • KymusKymus Member Posts: 17
    Crap, I was afraid of that. Well, I'm definitely not starting over, so I guess I'll just go along with what I've got >_<

Thanks guys
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    For dual classing, you must be:

(a) human
    (b) select a valid combo (like Ranger/Cleric not Ranger/Mage, etc.)
    (c) have a 15 in your primary class requisite and a 17 in the new class's primary requisite - such as 15 strength for a fighter and 17 intelligence for a mage.

When you dual class, you switch from one class to the other and start over at 1st level. You keep your hit points form the old class (and don't acquire new ones from the new class until you pass that level) and lose the original class abilities until you pass the level. For example:

Human: 17 strength, 18 dexterity
    Fighter - Kensai Kit Level 5 48 hit points
    Dual Classes to Thief
    1st level thief with 48 hit points
    Upon reaching level 6 thief, regains the fighter abilities (and liabilities in the case of kensai restrictions)

Multiclassing is simpler but must be done at character creation (or done using a game editor like Shadowkeeper). For example: Half-elf: No 15/17 stat requirements. Select multiclass: Fighter/Thief. Now experience is divided between the two classes and the HP are cut in half for each level (for example: 1st level fighter/thief with 10 constitution has 10/2 + 6/2 = 8 hp) but otherwise level normally. With a triple class combo (like fighter/mage/thief or fighter/mage/cleric), the HPs are roughly divided by 3.

You can never combine any two classes from within any of these categories to make a dual or multi-class character:

Warrior classes (so no fighter/ranger combos)
    Mage classes
    Thief Classes
    Cleric Classes

These classes can never dual or multi-class: Bard, Monk, Barbarian, Sorcerer, Paladin.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    On top of what @Pom says, Dual Classing can only select one single different class ever, you must have a 17 in the prime requisite of the class you switch to, and you lose all

For multiclassing in general, your options are Multiclass Fighter/Thief, Dual Class Fighter (with Kit) > Thief, or Thief (again, with a kit) > Fighter.

Stalkers are sort-of ranger/thieves Ranger kits with a backstab multiplier, if you're interested in the archetype.