Skip to content

item request

I have a request from the community. I am having issue with applying certain effects on my pc when taking my custom ninja class so I decided to apply the same effects using a token the pc carries. I am unable to not overpower this item, the curse of having too much access in the toolset.

the plan is to create a feat for every rank of the class which will be given to the pc when they reach a certain level. the feat will then run a spell script once that will create an item on the player to signify their rank in the class, the premade item will grant the player with all the benefits of that rank as well as the previous ranks. doing all this hasn't been an issue.

what I need is balance, in testing I feel the powers granted by the token make the player overpowered for her level.

so, the class I am making is ninja and before anyone jumps on me that it's been done, I am aware but every instance I've found grants the ninja some sort of magical ability which is, in my opinion, nonsense. the ninja is the master of stealth, deceit, and assassination... the class ought to focus on that...

I have created items in the toolset to imitate these magical abilities and stripped the spells from the class. I refer to things like ghost step which is essentially a form of invisibility. there are potions of invisibility so this is not needed. so on, so forth

what I have done is created a token for each rank of ninja, 1, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30... these tokens need to apply certain benefits onto the ninja. as an example, the first rank token, Novice Ninja Token, simply gives the bonus feat alertness and +1 save and that's all; each subsequent token increases the save +1 and I want to add other things but need to keep it toned down some

so, anyone want to make suggestions for each level token keeping in mind that each level will carry all the benefits of the token before it...

oh, yes, I created a special item in baseitems called ninjatokens for these and gave them the possibility of increasing the players dodge AC

this eliminates my problem with having a magical class ninja and pushing all the magic onto a powerful artifact he carries (the item is marked plot and cursed in the toolset to prevent selling or dropping)

last thing: I was going to add the cast spell: darkness as a property, but instead made darkness grenades he can throw; the second level token will give her immunity to the darkness spells (but I don't think Bioware implemented the immunity correctly and I cannot script well enough to remedy)

Comments

• ghowriterghowriter Member Posts: 35
    17+ views, not one response

thanks a mil
  • zordren3742zordren3742 Member Posts: 207
    edited August 2018
    Not everyone that looks at these post know how to make game content,and some may not know how to do what it is you are asking. did you try the nwn vault forums? I do not know how to do what you are asking, I have not done anything with spells, class's or feats yet. Remember the golden age of nwn is kind of past, it may come back, but when you post it may take time for someone that has the time and skill to reply or take on a task.
  • LaputianBirdLaputianBird Member Posts: 107
    @ghowriter, best way to find such specific help is by real time interaction.

NWVault has a discord channel that you can join here
    The old vault or the new one? The old one is dead, naturally. The new one will not lot me log in.

Its all good. I'll either figure it out myself or discard the idea.
    ghowriter said:

The old vault or the new one? The old one is dead, naturally. The new one will not lot me log in.

Its all good. I'll either figure it out myself or discard the idea.

It's a discord server. A mix between skype and IRC, where many community members hang out nowadays. We all have too little time for writing up essays on a forum to address specific CC problems, while on the other hand a chatroom full of other devs allows for addressing such help requests through multiple concurrent contribution from whoever has the time and knowledge.
    Makes perfect sense. Looking into it.

and, thanks
    oh, forgot to mention that I am scrapping the entire idea... all the scripts are done, feats added, items made

game even gives the character a token at first level. then gives 2 at fifth and 3 at tenth and so on... no idea why this is happening and my scripting ought to prevent it but something is doing multiple calls to my script after leveling and somehow bypassing my 'do this only once' variable checks...
    I gave it one last chance before scrapping it and decided to instead of using feats have the ring "upgrade" itself using the unique power spell and boom! it's working as intended. Thus the feats are simply passive markers (the ring uses them to choose if the player is due for an upgrade).
    You could try using the onPlayerLevelUp event instead, check for the ring and upgrade it accordingly to the character class/level. If you use the hidden creature skin slot, you can add whatever bonus to it, avoiding having to use a ring

You could try using the onPlayerLevelUp event instead, check for the ring and upgrade it accordingly to the character class/level. If you use the hidden creature skin slot, you can add whatever bonus to it, avoiding having to use a ring

I'm unwilling to alter those since I have no idea what's necessary and what's not but not a bad idea about the creature skin though I am betting the PRC uses this slot for some of their work and messing with it would no doubt mess up any custom races they made that uses it too

besides, the ring idea grew on me and now that it's fully working as intended, why change it; its not like the player will ever find a better ring in game
    The point is that adding feats just to check if a character has level X and hence is ready for a ring upgrade is an unnecessarily complex approach. However, as they say, your game, your fun. It's just that when someone asks for help, people tend to give them the best advice they can, if it's met with a "thanks but no thanks" attitude, it defeats the purpose of giving advice, and possibly of asking for it too
  • TheBarbarianTheBarbarian Member Posts: 58
    There's definitely a lot to be said for encouraging people to point out different and simpler solutions if they can think of any, even if the problem has already been solved. Making a habit of using approaches that are easy to maintain or expand can save everyone involved in the project (present or future) a great deal of trouble down the road, and even if backtracking to change something that's already working is undesirable at the moment, the simpler solution could be applied to one of the next problems, and can be appreciated for that.

FWIW, I rather found adding custom feats to be overall more complex and confusing than adding stuff to the default module event scripts. Since you managed to get those feats working, I think you won't have trouble learning the ropes of the module events, either. :-) Don't let not knowing how something works yet discourage you from figuring it out. LB's made a bunch of valuable points here. I recommend not swiping them away without a second thought; they'll be useful in the future.

The point is that adding feats just to check if a character has level X and hence is ready for a ring upgrade is an unnecessarily complex approach. However, as they say, your game, your fun. It's just that when someone asks for help, people tend to give them the best advice they can, if it's met with a "thanks but no thanks" attitude, it defeats the purpose of giving advice, and possibly of asking for it too

Not really sure if this was meant for me, but I have to respond because I think the "thanks but no thanks" comment needs addressing because that was NOT what I'd intended to be sure. The whole situation arose from my attempt to make custom feats that were awarded at certain class levels and these feats were supposed to give the character a token at that level and remove the previous token. It wouldn't work as I wanted for whatever reason that dealt with persistent feats and the like so I transferred the scripts to be activated by the token's onactivate flag. This was done before anyone suggested editing the level up scripts and I simply wanted to explain that I could not alter those scripts because I wasn't comfortable doing so. That is all. It seems to me berating someone like this defeats the purpose of the site and forum. I know it'll be a long, LONG, time before I return after this, if ever.

There's definitely a lot to be said for encouraging people to point out different and simpler solutions if they can think of any, even if the problem has already been solved. Making a habit of using approaches that are easy to maintain or expand can save everyone involved in the project (present or future) a great deal of trouble down the road, and even if backtracking to change something that's already working is undesirable at the moment, the simpler solution could be applied to one of the next problems, and can be appreciated for that.

FWIW, I rather found adding custom feats to be overall more complex and confusing than adding stuff to the default module event scripts. Since you managed to get those feats working, I think you won't have trouble learning the ropes of the module events, either. :-) Don't let not knowing how something works yet discourage you from figuring it out. LB's made a bunch of valuable points here. I recommend not swiping them away without a second thought; they'll be useful in the future.

I agree and I never suggested you not offer your suggestion. I did, however, forget to say thank you to him/her so @LaputianBird thank you.

Anyway, I'm out of here. I'll find a forum where people aren't wrongfully berated for nonsensical issues.
  • TheBarbarianTheBarbarian Member Posts: 58
    From watching technical-optimization-minded-people communicate and interact for quite some time now - I don't think it's intended to be beratement. They're just applying different standards for interaction. Anything to do with systems, code, structure, workflow, etc, is always 100% up for debate; criticism on how someone's work could be improved or streamlined actually seems to be a very friendly gesture, since that's information from which the recipient stands to benefit, delivered at a time-and-effort cost on part of the answerer. It's "These methods are suboptimal. Beep boop. This cannot be allowed to stand. Boop beep. All methods must be optimized. All systems must be in optimal condition. Iamarobot. Boop!".

It's easy to read that kind of thing as "This person is completely unnecessarily criticizing me, how rude!!" (I know I've been there), but that just leaves optimization-people confused because their thought process was actually along the lines of "Hello - allied - unit - your - methods - are - suboptimal - I - will - participate - in - optimizing - your - methods - boop" (i.e., being pragmatically helpful, therefore being friendly). Or, worse, it makes them unhappy and affronted themselves, 'cuz they actually aren't robots either, but people, who get antsy and ornery like anyone else does, and may start thinking that other people aren't worth the effort of trying to help them - or, worse still, they start thinking that there's something wrong with them and start trying to fundamentally change what they are (imagine defaulting to trying to optimize yourself when what you're trying to optimize away is your drive to optimize things. Certain doom!). Giving people who try to help improve things experiences of disregard and discouragement is pretty much just always a bad idea for absolutely everyone, everywhere. Didn't wanna let LB stand alone getting frustrated while trying to help. ^^' I did not intend to step on your feet in a rude way with that mini-lecture back there, though.

I'm sorry that I've given you cause to feel uncomfortable, and I'm quite sure that you are welcome here. I wouldn't take small squabbles like this one too hard, in general; people argue over all kinds of things, and it takes time to get to know someone well enough to know when they are or aren't being purposely antagonistic. People in a habitual "OPTIMIZE EVERYTHING!"-loop with one another make for a pretty brash welcome team (more likely than not, no "hello" whatsoever, but a three-page document listing everything that's wrong with your code instead...), but they're awesome to have around once you get to a point where you've got things that need (ba-dumm-tss)... optimizing. :grin: It can take some getting used to, but it's not usually ill-intentioned.

You're very welcome to stop by the Vault for scripting or CC questions, too. :-) Zero chance of no nonsense, ever, as long as there's people involved (we are the ultimate nonsense species!), but we do like to solve CC problems.