Skip to content

100% translation Pt-Br "BG: EE / SoD" !!! : D BG2: EE planned to launch?

The translation of BG2: EE and IWD into Portuguese is missing! : D
I am Brazilian and many of those who speak this language miss it, because Spanish is not a "similar" language as many people think. And now with version 2.5 gave an encouragement to believe that can come the update.

Comments

• Durmir46Durmir46 Member Posts: 110
    edited August 2018
    This is indeed surprising, as Brazil is a huge market for video games, so you would think there is a Portuguese version (or even a "Brazilian Portuguese" one as in many games). Have you checked on the internet if anyone has prepared a "patch" to address this? I would try but you have better chance checking directly in the language, and... "falou so um poucinho de portugues, mas meu portugues e terrivel".
  • ArcanjoArcanjo Member Posts: 155
    In the site that lists the translations of the BG2 was practically ready, and the IWD is very close to that, but I do not know why they do not, many people do not buy because they do not have a language in Brazil, in Brazil we do not have a second language, we only learn Portuguese of compulsory form in the schools, learns English who pays here, so if they want to sell to Brazil they have to translate into Portuguese or lose a giant market.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    A translation is not necessary to get Brazil's market share. Some people, like me, prefer to play the game in English instead of in Portuguese. It is not like English is an unpopular language around here and many of those who afford games also afforded English courses. Or, also like me, learned by him/herself.

Of course, providing a translation would give Beamdog a larger market share around here as the percentile of people who don't speak English or feels more confortable playing in its own native language is undoubtedly bigger.
  • Durmir46Durmir46 Member Posts: 110
    Raduziel said:

A translation is not necessary to get Brazil's market share. Some people, like me, prefer to play the game in English instead of in Portuguese. It is not like English is an unpopular language around here and many of those who afford games also afforded English courses. Or, also like me, learned by him/herself.

Of course, providing a translation would give Beamdog a larger market share around here as the percentile of people who don't speak English or feels more confortable playing in its own native language is undoubtedly bigger.

From my personal experience this is not 100% correct. I live in Ireland (although I am not Irish, and English is not my mother tongue) and the Brazilian community is huge here. Minha esposa e Brasileira ;)

You would think those who can go to Ireland could afford video games in Brazil and enter the same category you are mentioning, but I can assure you their English is not that good and I wager they'd rather play in Portuguese ^^

My wife's sister is an English teacher in Curitiba, and I can tell you her English is really not that good... and she is the only one in the family, minus my wife obviously, who can speak a bit of English. It's a fairly well educated family (I'd say upper end of the middle class).

But this is only my personal experience and may not be representative of the whole truth (you can't really extrapolate statistics from such a small sample)
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Portuguese guy here!
    Just learn English, you damn jungle savages!
    *sails away in a caravela*

This is a joke, in case it's not obvious.
    @Raduziel
    You are very, very much mistaken! I am Brazilian and I live in the north of the country, and here almost nobody speaks English, our long courses (Do not teach well) and we are not stimulated to such (We have Googl Translator, but I can not copy the texts of BeamDog games and paste in Translator, I have to type in the hand what is tiring).

If you can not read or read with much difficulty, there will be no immersion of the player, so the game becomes less fun and more tiring. What was meant to be something fluid, becomes laborious.

Much of the Brazilian population is composed of the poor or the lower middle class. So if you want to have a strong market in Brazil, the language is vital!

Do not use as a parameter, if you read English well, your merit! But do not take that as a basis. I am a graduate, I have a postgraduate degree (Latu Senso) and I am a Master. I am a computer literate, my English is medium enough to work quietly in my area, but it annoys me / it bothers me to have to struggle in reading and often losing immersion and fun because of the language.
    Please, read my second paragraph again.

PT-BR is not mandatory to bite our market share (I'm from RJ, by the way). Making our native language available only decides how big this share will be.

Of course providing a country's language will improve sales in that country, this train of thought seems logical enough, but to get into a offshore market English suffices.

Speaking exclusively about myself: I prefer to play using ENG as language because that way I improve my skills in that language and have fun at the same time. I've learned English by myself this way: starting way back in time with a Super Nintendo and an Oxford Dictionary, following the RPG books that could only be found in English and finally PC games.
    I affirm that it is obligatory to have the English idiom! Will the Brazilian have to pay an English course to play? serious, in a country that we fought to alphabetize in Pt-Br, where we have serious problems in education, barely have money for purchases of the month, between N problems and will be a prerequisite to pay a corso of English to play the BG1, 2 or IWD or ...? Seriously, I read that?

Games like Forgotten Realms, need heavy reading to understand, is not an MMO that is to kill bjar and upar, without real immersion, etc. D & D games require the player to understand the context, be immersive in context, cling to the characters and interactions. It is much less tiring to read in our Pt-Br or Pt language, than to stay in Google translator by writing each text, or paying course.

What was the best selling BioWare game in Brazil? BG1: EE or BG2: EE, not at launch but currently? Guess what? Surely what still sells most is what has our native language!
    You think you're undermining my argument, but in fact you're raising a whole different one. And you're recurring to a fallacy called "Straw Man" when you raise the poor and oppressed flag.

But I'll try to be more clear in what I'm saying.

Does every game that sells a single copy in the Brazilian market has Portuguese as a language? Undoubtedly no.

Does the game that presents an option for Portuguese sells better? Undoubtedly yes.

And that is exactly what I'm saying: you don't need Portuguese to get into our market, but putting Portuguese as an option improves sales.
  • HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    edited September 2018
    Just a quick note here:
    Arcanjo said:

In the site that lists the translations of the BG2 was practically ready, and the IWD is very close to that

If you're referring to the Translation Tool, please note that the completion percentage for IWD:EE is unfortunately misleading at the moment. The translation of IWD:EE is not close to ready. I explained this a bit more in another post.
    Post edited by Hurricane on
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    Im English and living in Brazil. I've seen 34 different countries and never seen a country where so many people don't understand English. So... in my experience... A Brazilian Portuguese translation should be top priority. Im learning Portuguese and I think it's the second most important language, because (as lazy as it is) you can get away with English in most other countries.