Skip to content

Starting point for trying to understand how D&D works in BG:EE/BG2:EE

I've purchased BG:EE, BG2:EE, Planescape:EE. I've always read that they're amazing stories and I want to experience them.

However, I have no idea what I'm doing when I'm creating my character.

Yes, I understand what each stat does (Str, Dex, etc) but I have no real concept of what each of these numbers should be for classes.

For example, I did some reading and to me, it sounds like a Kensai Fighter is a simple, straight-forward class. No worries about what spells or any of that stuff and you run around hitting things with a sword. A class built around the idea of being incredibly proficient in doing one single thing - Awesome!

Then I get to the screen and I'm paralyzed - how much strength should a pure Kensai have? How much charisma and intelligence? etc. I have no reference by which to gauge what I should be selecting.

If I just push past and get to the next screen... Now I've got 6 stars to put into things against which I again have no reference. Longswords sound great - how many stars should I put into it?

Then I find out that you can import characters from previous games into the next one - so now I'm worried about a character that might not play as well in the next game and investing the time into something that won't work.

Ugh...

I guess what I'm saying is I'm paralyzed by choices I don't really understand and it's frustrating as hell.

Comments

• CybrSlydrCybrSlydr Member Posts: 2
    In reading about the Kensai, I think I saw something about prioritizing finding an amulet that grants an armor bonus to make it a little less squishy.

The other thing I'm pondering is if I should go single weapon or dual wield. What I've read generally says that dual wield is great as it helps counter the lack of armor and associated buffs by giving a second weapon that can have enchantments on it - while also getting the added bonus of a second weapon doing damage.

Is it as simple as that or is there something else I should be considering?
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited August 2018
    Other members will need to answer as to which one is better as I don't try to build the best character when I play.

All I have to say is that considering it is your first play-through, go for the style you like the most. Both single weapon or dual wield can easily beat the game. I think you should try to discover the game by yourself and only ask questions if you are blocked.

If you are worried that a Kensai might be too fragile, you can try a pure Fighter. You will do less damage but have a much better armor class. But again, a Kensai is perfectly fine to beat the game.
    Post edited by lefreut on
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    The easiest way to come to understand the details of ability scores is to play Planescape Torment. In that game, when you are allocating the stats for the Nameless One, you can see the bonuses that a certain value of the stat will give you. The bonuses given by stats are exactly the same numbers in Baldur's Gate as in Planescape Torment (for example, in both games, having 19 Strength gives you +3 to hit and +7 damage, and having 18 Dexterity gives you a +4 AC bonus).
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    As a basic rule, any stat that is important for your class, you will want to max it out. So for a fighter STR, DEX, and CON are very important. Make them as high as you can. You can work with non-optimal scores, but for a new player, its easier that way.

Kensai are my favorite fighter class, but they are dangerous to play as at low levels. I recommend Single weapon style to start. It will give you an armor bonus so you won't die as easily. Once you get several levels under your belt (and some good magic items for protection), you can safely switch to dual wield to dish out lots of pain.

Long swords are a good standard choice. Plentiful weapon, with a lot of powerful artifacts. I also like daggers, but thats kind of an unpopular choice. Daggers are much weaker damage wise, but they often have very nice enchantments that add status problems and debuffs to enemies.