Skip to content

Menhir quest seems seriously broken - any way to fix this? [SPOILER!]

So, I've activated the sixth menhir. A ghost appears. We chat. Another ghost appears, attacks, turns into a wraith. I have to kill it. After this, nothing happens. I talk to the ghost again. We chat. It's the same chat. Another ghost appears, attacks, turns into a wraith. I have to kill it. After this, nothing happens. I talk to the ghost again. We chat. It's the same chat, once again. Another ghost appears, attacks, turns into a wraith. I have to kill it. After this, nothing happens.

I'm completely certain that something is broken here. Any way to fix this?

@elminster? @Dee?

Comments

• GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Upload a savegame and I'll take a look to see if it's install related or save game related.

I did this quest 2 times with no issues, did you choose an overly agressive dialog to begin with ?
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    This is extremely odd. It appears that all hinges on one dialogue option: when the second ghost appears, you have to say "Calm down spirit, [or else...]". In this case, they have a proper conversation and the quest resolves. Otherwise, you will get into the wraith loop.

I chose the other option, because it seemed less belligerent. So, no, I never choose aggressive dialogue options. Although BG:EE hardly ever had any other...
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited April 2016
    I had the same thing. At first I thought it was a bug, but maybe the two ghosts are meant to replay the same cycle until you snap her out of it. I did have some actual bugs during that quest, where the man would just walk away and disappear or I would be in an endless ''cutscene'' (not frozen, but nothing further happening and the UI remaining gone).

As an aside, this is not the only place in SOD where the belligerent option is the right one.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    Another issues is that my PC is a Priest of Lathander with the "Controlled Cleric" AI, so Turn Undead is always active. According to the dialogue box, Crommus is killed by the Turn Undead and Carline's spirit never appears. I was finally able to complete the quest by changing the AI, and I reported the bug to Beamdog.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @Philhelm: Oh dear, that's bad. I believe the same AI will also insta-kill Wellyn's ghost in BG2.

I don't trust the AI one bit, for rather obvious reasons. So, individual AI and party AI are always off.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    @xzar_monty I usually run with the generic AI that has party members attack when an enemy is in sight, since I want them to attack without always being directed. I pause the game to issue individual commands, but I don't like it when a character just sits there. The problem is the cleric will attack and not turn undead when I want him to.
  • LarnievcLarnievc Member Posts: 1
    Hi, sorry to necro this thread. I’ve activated all six menhirs but now the only one I can interact with is the one by Prinn. But this one just has some flavour text and nothing else. No ghost at all.

Can any one help?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @Larnievc Please zip and attach your save to a new ticket at support.baldursgate.com, and our QA will get back to you.