Skip to content

The highest mage roll? / My 100 wild mage roll

laimelaime Member Posts: 2
What’s the highest roll someone’s attained on a mage (or any class) without in-game modifications, while allowing auto-roll?

I’ve achieved a 100 wild mage roll: https://imgur.com/a/XlFxl

After bg1, she will have 19-20-18-19-21-11

After bg2, she will have 19-19-21-20-21-12

After TOB, 20-20-22-21-22-13 Or 22-20-22-21-21-12*

Would anyone distribute differently if combat was the priority?

I did it with the help of the Enhanced Edition Auto-Roller. It ran at full speed for 4 days. As far as I can gather from the forums that's still incredibly lucky, since the amounts of rolls needed to make that outcome over 50% likely would require 1,5 months of continuous re-rolling. The low odds on good stats even with an auto-clicker really shows the depth, difficulties and possibilities of this game. There really isn't another one like it.

I’ve played this game on and off for 20 years and had different view in auto-roll during this time. It’s comparable to botting a character generation screen, so while not using direct engine cheats, it is not playing the game as intended. It’s essentially a tool assisted run. However, it does present another challenge in itself, reaching scores attainable only by extreme perseverance and luck.

I understand that mage is particularly hard to roll for mages and all classes with low minimums. Race minimums play a role here too. Does anyone have the relative odds for all classes? I understand that Cavalier is more than 10 times as likely to get good stats.

*That’s depending on the choice of evil or good path at Test of Wrath from the wraith Saraevok Bhaal Tear. In vanilla you could get 1+ primary here as well, which should not have been removed in ee. What’s the justification of removing an Easter Egg giving me 23 intelligence!
Post edited by laime on

Comments

• brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    100 roll, thought thats impossible lol
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    brunardo said:

100 roll, thought thats impossible lol

A lot becomes possible with an auto-roller. They roll at an inhuman speed. Just ten minutes of autorolling is like hours of doing it by hand, and the autoroller never accidentally rolls past anything.
  • laimelaime Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2018
    You would be surprised how hard it is to auto-roll well. You may hit 97-98 for a mage if you’re lucky for a mage in the first few hours, or 99-low hundreds with a thief or pally but then there’s some sort of mathematical soft-cap. Be prepared to be stuck at 99 or a while!

Many of these stats are surprisingly helpful for a mage, particularly being a decent at ranged combat due to strength modification bonuses for slings, and great natural AC due to dex. Haste modification=Machine gun. I also enjoy high regeneration due to con. My only wish is that intelligence was less of a vanity stat for mages. Did Beamdog introduce any changes there to make intelligence more significant?
  • MonotremataMonotremata Member Posts: 78
    Is this auto-roll thingy part of BG:EE or is it some mod you're using?? Ive read that its best to start the game over after updating to 2.5 but dammit, Im already in Baldur's Gate. Between the regular game, the side quests, and the Sword Coast stuff (Durlag's Tower UGH and that damn demon afterwards), thats a lot of work to get back to this point. Maybe Ill just auto-roll a super Ranger from the start and use the Godbow to catch back up to where I was hehehe. I can make more than one of those right? :smiley:
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391

Is this auto-roll thingy part of BG:EE or is it some mod you're using?? Ive read that its best to start the game over after updating to 2.5 but dammit, Im already in Baldur's Gate. Between the regular game, the side quests, and the Sword Coast stuff (Durlag's Tower UGH and that damn demon afterwards), thats a lot of work to get back to this point. Maybe Ill just auto-roll a super Ranger from the start and use the Godbow to catch back up to where I was hehehe. I can make more than one of those right? :smiley:

It's sort of a little program outside the game. You start the game in window mode, get to the part of the character creation screen where you roll for stats, boot up the autoroller, tell it where the buttons are, then it'll move your cursor to do the rolls while continuously storing the highest one it's seen.
  • xizorxizor Member Posts: 89
    I was just preparing a new character (half-elf fighter/mage), without autoroller. I was prepared for two or three hours of rolling to get 93. Then after about 8000 rolls I got a few 90s, one 91, three 92 and suddenly...

• brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Auto roller. I got to try that...or EEkeeper works for me too :smile:

It's sort of a little program outside the game. You start the game in window mode, get to the part of the character creation screen where you roll for stats, boot up the autoroller, tell it where the buttons are, then it'll move your cursor to do the rolls while continuously storing the highest one it's seen.

Bummer Im on a Mac, the Windows one I got isn't working right in Crossover. I select the buttons, but it never starts auto rolling after I hit reroll. I don't think its registering them to begin with. If I hit start, it'll have me select the recall button, then I click back on the auto roller, it tells me select the store button, then I click back, tells me to select the reroll button and it will start going. It never does, and if I click back on the auto roller, I get the message that no character could be found. Could be directory issues since a Mac is a completely different structure, could just not work with Mac apps like that through Wine, could need to run it as admin, who knows.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited August 2018
    @Monotremata, you could try the version that is in EEUITweaks. It is the version I use when I want to run an autoroller.

Gus
    Gusinda said:

@Monotremata, you could try the version that is in EEUITweaks. It is the version I use when I want to run an autoroller.

Gus

Haha I actually grabbed the Faydark one out of there last night. It works great! First character ended up rolling a 99. Tried to do another one today but only got to 96 after a couple hours. Still worked great for a thief though. Wish I would've had this thing ages ago heh. Maybe now Ill finally replay the game with something other than a ranger.
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    laime said:

You would be surprised how hard it is to auto-roll well. You may hit 97-98 for a mage if you’re lucky for a mage in the first few hours, or 99-low hundreds with a thief or pally but then there’s some sort of mathematical soft-cap. Be prepared to be stuck at 99 or a while!

Many of these stats are surprisingly helpful for a mage, particularly being a decent at ranged combat due to strength modification bonuses for slings, and great natural AC due to dex. Haste modification=Machine gun. I also enjoy high regeneration due to con. My only wish is that intelligence was less of a vanity stat for mages. Did Beamdog introduce any changes there to make intelligence more significant?

I would not say that Int is a vanity stat for Mages! It actively affects chance to learn spell, total spells per level that can be learnt and lore. Yes you can do (limited) potion tricks and alter difficulty to trivialise those issues, but still...

With better implementation it would also effect dialogue options and max spell level that can be cast. It is an old game though so what we have is what we have.