Skip to content

Kickstarter for Baldur's Gate 3 please

13»

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Eunectes said:

Fardragon said:

[...] if they did decide on a new BG game they would go to a bigger corp to make it - quite possibly EA/Bioware.

Oh, please gods no! It's like asking Uwe Boll to make another movie. I'd rather see BG storyline ended as is than having it raped by EA (there is no Bioware, not for a long time) over and over.

Edit:
    I might be bias here, but I would like to see how CD Projekt Red (the bastion of hope in game dev) would handle a franchise like Baldur's Gate. If they applied three quarters of commitment they had while developing Witcher 3, and same market principles... I can dream, can I?

As long as they don't try to "mature" the setting and story like the Witcher. Why do "adult" fantasy games always feel more like teenager fantasty than the teen rated games?
    bleusteeltbone1PsicoVic
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    Personally, I'd prefer to leave the Baldur's Gate title to the past. Not only is that story finished, but tying an ongoing franchise to a single location in a world as large as Faerun is too limiting in the first place.

Instead, I would go with a more generally applicable title. If feasible, I'd stick to calling it "The Forgotten Realms" and then give each individual game a subtitle like Siege of Dragonspear had. If WotC wouldn't allow "The Forgotten Realms" or if a title more recognizable as being specific to Beamdog was needed, "Tales of Faerun" would work as well.

As for actual direction for a new series, there are a few things I'd want on in a new Forgotten Realms series:
    • 5th Edition Rules, as close to RAW as possible.
    • RTwP as an option, but the engine itself plays more strictly turn based than the Infinity Engine does.
    • If not actual 2D, use a painterly art style that will still look good 20 years later. Age like Baldur's Gate, not like Neverwinter Nights.
    • Take modding into account from the start. Not only does this help build a lasting community, it makes it easier on you when it comes time for expansions and sequels.
    • Most importantly, spend some time studying the tabletop communities. See what sort of adventures people enjoy playing. Find well loved examples, suggested adventure design guides and other recommended resources. Don't just ape Baldur's Gate or Torment, or even modernly praised video games like Divinity: Original Sin 2. Look at how the sausage is made on the pen and paper side of things, and add what you think can work to your toolbox.
    I think that using those pointers as a starting point, it should be possible to create a game that will have lasting appeal just as the Baldur's Gate series had, at least to the limit of the writers' skill.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    I think a Baldur's Gate 3 would be a bad idea. Just look at how people reacted to Siege of Dragonspear; it would be doomed from the start. Besides, the story's done, there nothing really left to say.

That said, I would kill for a new Forgotten Realms game, preferably with 5th edition rules.
    ThacoBellkanisatha
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    and for those that say " what about the soul taker dagger and the caelar plot?". mods is your answer.

and for those that say " what about the soul taker dagger and the caelar plot?". mods is your answer.

Mods SHOULDN'T be the answer though. Beamdog introduced new plot threads, it is their responsibility to close them.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

It's pretty obvious that those where deliberate loose ends intended to set up a Beamdog Baldur's Gate 3. It's also pretty obvious that game was axed when SoD wasn't as well received as was hoped.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Fardragon said:

It's pretty obvious that those where deliberate loose ends intended to set up a Beamdog Baldur's Gate 3. It's also pretty obvious that game was axed when SoD wasn't as well received as was hoped.
    Nope!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur's_Gate:_Siege_of_Dragonspear#Reception

I also googled whether SoD met it's sales target, but failed to find the answer, either because BD is secretive about those things, or because 5 minutes googling isn't enough to find it. But my guess is that they did.

I do not think SoD was a failure at all - well from BD:s point of view, I have yet to actually play it - therefore, I don't think they axed the game because the SIWs (social injustice warriors) are obnoxiously loud about two perceived slights that, even if you buy into the whole SIW bullshit, objectively are rather minor.

Just because a group of individuals are extremely vocal, does not mean they represent any significant portion of the gaming community. Remember, while their bitching and whining started almost as soon as the game was released, BD still met their sales target (probably). My guess is that there is another reason they did not make a BG3. I mean, your first sentence is probably correct, they put in loose ends on purpose in the eventuality they need to make a BG3, but I think your second sentence is incorrect. The SIWs were NOT the reason BD did not or has yet to make BG3, or some other spinoff.
    At least at one point there WERE plans to add a soultaker questline to BG2. At some point Trent Oster decided not to.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Businesses keep very quiet when things go badly - otherwise the banks decide they want their money back.

The long silences tell you all you need, even without the staff haemorrhaging left right and centre!
    ThacoBell
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    the sod npcs and most of the loose ends were supposed to be added in some kind of bg2 thing. weather a patch or expansion we will never know. but like most things that have never been finished for the last 10 years it's up to modders to fix what was never finished.

you may not like it but thats how this series has worked for the last 10 year. bioware could not get vayagar or Haer'Dalis's romances finished. mods

minsic not having a side quest: mods

imoen not having that much dialogue in bg2 due to her late addition: mods

you may not like it but modders have always had to fix what was never finished and this is not changing. we already have two mods that add an ending to the soul taker dagger, and a caelar mod is in development.
    Fardragon said:

Businesses keep very quiet when things go badly - otherwise the banks decide they want their money back.

The long silences tell you all you need, even without the staff haemorrhaging left right and centre!

Not buying it! Why bother with 2.5 patch and SoD port to Android? No, BD is on for the long haul. They will release something that's infinity engine, just not right now. But I would be willing to bet 100 bux that there is an infinity engine sketch in Seth's office drawer right now, just waiting for the right moment to be dusted off. Unfortunately, it's going to be another expansion or some kind of spinoff, since WoTC want 5E for any new games, and overhauling infinity engine to work with 5E is probably as bothersome as making a new engine from scratch.
    tbone1StummvonBordwehr
  • FlayerivFlayeriv Member Posts: 23
    Actually, I'd kind of like to see a Baldurs Gate 3. Except be the child of the Bhaalspawn.

Aerie at least gets pregnant by the end of BG2, why not have the option of choosing who your mother is and being the child of the Bhaalspawn? It'd allow for completely new gameplay and expansion, and for those of us who are lore buffs there'd be SO MUCH content to explore with that kind of a set up.
    StummvonBordwehr
    Flayeriv said:

Actually, I'd kind of like to see a Baldurs Gate 3. Except be the child of the Bhaalspawn.

Aerie at least gets pregnant by the end of BG2, why not have the option of choosing who your mother is and being the child of the Bhaalspawn? It'd allow for completely new gameplay and expansion, and for those of us who are lore buffs there'd be SO MUCH content to explore with that kind of a set up.

You can also knock up Viconia, read her end bio if you date her. Jaheira I dunno the one time I dated her I did not finish the game. Also, why must we assume the protagonist of the first game is male? You could play as the child of Anomen. Maybe perhaps I really don't know how that romance ends either,..

Like, for a BGIII (we can have fun, since that ain't happening anyway), you could of make a character and then dialogue how the BG saga since then had played out, like in the start of Kotor 2. With some NPC asking you leading questions like "Hey I heard you are the son / daughter of a God, is that true?" To which you can reply "No, Bhaals throne is still abandoned as far as I know" or "Indeed I am" and the next question is "So, why did you dad decide to ascend / not ascend" to which you can reply "Actually it was my mum..." or "He / she never told me why" and then "Your dad / mum must have a real name right? All we hear are rumors, he / she is known only as Gorions Ward / The lord of Murder" and then "So what was your other parents name" etc etc. And all these choices have minor or major influences on later game play. Like, if your parent ascended, then you get some dark powers, but if your parent did not ascend, your family has a Guardian Archon (as a little thank you for not further wrecking the realms with murder and mayhem) that occasionally steps in and aids you.

Now for all official romances in the BG saga, you need to be human, elf or gnome, so a true child of Gorions Ward would then be elf, human, half-elf or... uhhh... half-elf-half-gnome (can such an abomination really exist?) but since that is boring lets say you can also be adopted (as your dad / mum were), allowing free choice of race.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    Interesting thread... Lots of people discussing bg3 possibilities. Most interestingly of all is that it looks like most people missed a post from Andrew Foley himself, the person probably best placed to actually write a bg3 story.
  • Umar_SlobberknockerUmar_Slobberknocker Member Posts: 19
    I'm guessing by now you have all heard that Larian Studios is making BG3. It IS happening!!!
  • XanthisXanthis Member Posts: 3
    To be honest, if they just remade the bg storyline with a refreshed modern graphics I would throw my money at them