Skip to content

Installation of mods for IE games - important poll!

2»

Comments

• ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    edited September 2018
    I think I have all data which I need. Thanks for helping me!
    ThacoBell
    edited September 2018
    @StefanO
    StefanO said:

BWS uses an nowadays unsupported Windows only programming language. The data is stored in hundreds of windows ini files in various character set encodings. This is so last century.

But it was good enough to accomplish wonders :)
    StefanO said:

Nowadays the execution logic could be implemented in javascript or php or whatever. That means the user interface could be platform independent because everything a user needs is a browser and a platform dependent tool like WeiDU (both already there). The data could be stored in a database like MySQL or mongodb. That is, of cause, no small programming project.

It seems so simple. I wonder why all developers suggest similar thing and they gone :wink:
    Raduziel
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ThacoBellStefanO
    @subtledoctor I can ensure you that I don't miss this point, since it was repeated so many times. I fully agree that "it would be better to have new, cross-platform BWS". I did lot of research to compare cross-platform languages and cross-platform GUI's. All of them have drawbacks. So for me, it's irritating to hear that creating cross-platform app is the same amount of work and effort as creating Windows-only app. It's not. But what do I know? Let me give you some numbers:

my windows-only app: 800 lines of code
    cross-platform app: 8500 lines of code

This is ten times less code and work! Guess which app has more features included?
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    Developing a Windows-only app is, to repeat myself, really so last century. Neglecting two major desktops and smart phones and tablets isn't the way to go, IMHO.
    ALIEN
    @StefanO Fully agree, but to repeat myself, it's not the same effort.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited September 2018
    @subtledoctor
    That's a lot of "maybe's". Have some facts: I publicly encouraged everyone to create cross-platform BWS, I mention many times that developer will get all help which he needs, I've coordinated discussion between 5 developers who show interest to create next BWS, I shared ALL my ideas how to create good replacement for BWS, my 'secret' project was no secret to anyone who was involved.

Despite all of this, they all gone, nothing was released. I'm sorry but that's reality. Face it.

I don't complain about feedback of any kind. The "make it cross-platform" is valuable feedback. The "use database!" is fairy-tale :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.