Skip to content

What's worth stealing?

I'm playing a cleric/thief in a party with Imoen as a thief and I don't usually have this much thiefiness. Since she's specced to be a trapmonkey, I'll have plenty of points to spread around. I figure I'll have points for pickpocketing, Not to mention, I've read about a lot of folks playing bards, and it's made me wonder what's worth pinching

The few things I know about:
Cloak of Algernon
Ring of Regen
Rings of Gaxx and the Ram (kinda cheaty though)
various items from Elminster

Aside from that, is the skill just good for pilfering from shops?

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    In SoA, the shop in the Copper Coronet is a very solid source of "free" items especially the ranged disruption axe which is a must-have for nearly any party. The scroll vendor in Waukeen's Promenade and the high-level scroll vendor in the northwest corner of Ribald's would fall into the same category as you can basically fully stock the spellbooks of 1-2 mages without delaying your quest for 15K gold. Later, in the Underdark, both the merchant in the southeast corner of the cave area and the merchants clustered in the southern part of the city have an enormous quantity of useful "free" items.

The one thing to be aware of is that doing this essentially knocks the game's difficulty level down a notch, which some players enjoy but others find problematic.
    gorgonzola
  • BrightL1ghtsBrightL1ghts Member Posts: 53
    Also Maevar's Guild for free rogue stones and around 8 potions of master thievery <:D
    sarevok57StummvonBordwehr
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

Also Maevar's Guild for free rogue stones and around 8 potions of master thievery <:D </p>

that is where i always get my free rogue stone :)
    jsaving said:

In SoA, the shop in the Copper Coronet is a very solid source of "free" items especially the ranged disruption axe which is a must-have for nearly any party. The scroll vendor in Waukeen's Promenade and the high-level scroll vendor in the northwest corner of Ribald's would fall into the same category as you can basically fully stock the spellbooks of 1-2 mages without delaying your quest for 15K gold. Later, in the Underdark, both the merchant in the southeast corner of the cave area and the merchants clustered in the southern part of the city have an enormous quantity of useful "free" items.

The one thing to be aware of is that doing this essentially knocks the game's difficulty level down a notch, which some players enjoy but others find problematic.

bernard in the copper coronet comes with a stellar -128 penalty on your stealing chance, so you are going to need some pretty high pick pockets if you want to steal his goodies
    gorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    robe of vecna, the girdle of strength from ribald, the staff of rym and all the other really expensive and useful items sold by the merchants we can not steal from are surely worth to steal.

i am not joking, you buy them, then you sell them to a merchant where you can easily steal and after you steal from him you sell and steal them from a fence or if you wish you do it with all the 4 fences of soa.
    this way you can "sell" 2-5 times what you bought and own the item in the end. depending on how many fences you use you can pay those items very little or even gain money in the process (to sell and steal multiple times the same item from a single fence in my book is a lame tactic that completely kills the role playing a thief, almost as lame and role play breaking as learning and erasing multiple times the spells to gain xp faster).

other items that imo are mandatory to steal, after selling them, are the wands you get in chateau irenicus, you gain some little money but get fully charged wands that are a great help in the first part of soa, free summons, free fireballs and other useful effects that are perfect to carry you until your mages are enough leveled up to make them obsolete.

i also pickpocket almost every run the owner of the house where you find the sculptor and their horrible majordomo, they treat you like a scum for no reason, even if you are a cleric or a pally, so they deserve it.
    i get only few coins from them, but is a priceless satisfaction...

not EE only. you HAVE to steal a certain tear from a certain genie to get a certain sword without changing alignment to evil, if you are not evil, and even if you are evil to have the weapon and the outcome of the good choice that imo is better.
    sadly this has been nerfed in EE :(
    i don't know if also the ring of the ram stealing exploit has been nerfed, in not EE is possible to get up to 3 of them, the ring of gax one is surely nerfed. still stealing the ring of gax is still useful, as to fight the demilich while you and not him have the ring equipped makes that battle more easy.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    edited September 2018
    i dont know where the 3rd ring of the ram was, but now you can only get 1, once you pick pocket the ring it will no longer be on buddy's body
    Post edited by sarevok57 on
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438

other items that imo are mandatory to steal, after selling them, are the wands you get in chateau irenicus, you gain some little money but get fully charged wands that are a great help in the first part of soa, free summons, free fireballs and other useful effects that are perfect to carry you until your mages are enough leveled up to make them obsolete.

That always kinda bothered me (for rp reasons). You take a wand with a single charge of cloudkill, sell it to some random merchant, buy/steal it back and now you have 100 charges?

I basically don't do anything when I play that I wouldn't be able to get away with in a PnP game.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    @Kneller that is perfectly fine. maybe that even in a "pvp soa" a player can point out that is not granted that the wand at the moment you find it is fully loaded, like a purse containing one coin at the moment you find it can contain other ones if someone puts them into it a wand can be charged behind the level of charge it has when you find it. and maybe your dm can agree. but you are the dm of your own game, if you don't want it don't do it. i, as dm of my game, allow it and don't allow other things that many players do, like learning multiple times the same spell, or prebuffing above the generic buffs i have always on before a fight using my metagame knowledge if in game there is no clue of what type of enemy i am going to meet.
    to each one his taste and his choices.

@sarevok57 i never obtained the 3rd ring of ram for rp reasons, i never play evil, but i am pretty sure the trick worked. you pick pocket the mage when you agree to find the ranger, then when you bring to him the corpse after killing valigar, and again when he betrays you in the sphere.
    Grond0