Skip to content

cleric/thieves, alignment, and a stronghold

So, I'm playing this cleric/thief who (RP-wise) reveres Tymora. With that in mind, I'm leaning towards the thief stronghold. It probably wouldn't make sense to do the cleric stronghold line and come out of it with a symbol of a god my character doesn't worship. Whereas the thieves' guild is slightly more plot integral (though unfortunately more high maintenance).

Alignment-wise, I'm on the cusp of CG and CN, but I'm really not sure where I fall. I figure I have these going for/against each:

CG: It's basically a "good" run and I am kinda becoming the hero of the region. I virtually always take the "good" options in dialogues and quests. I save and protect others. I put myself at risk for the party's sake when I could send someone else in to take the risk for me.

CN: I walk into people's houses I don't really know and chat them up (Town Councilman in Beregost, Joseph's Wife in Nashkel, Firebead in Beregost, etc.) I "explore" their houses as well, and if they have something that may be useful for my "noble" journey, I commandeer it for the cause. Sanctuary has become Rob-People-And-Get-Away-With-It. The thieves guild is basically the fantasy equivalent of the mob.

So, the specifics seem CN to me, but the overarching theme seems CG.
Aerakar

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I always thought the thieve's stronghold was a litle weak. FYI though, you don't get a holy symbol from the cleric stronghold. You get the holy symbol when your cleric hits level 25. I don't know if your C/T will hit that high or not.
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    The cleric stronghold is way better IMO, there's more quests for XP, Thief stronghold is just gold and it's annoying having to keep going back to pay.
    ThacoBell
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    for cleric multiclasses ( cleric/thief, fighter/cleric, ranger/cleric ) your cleric level will hit level 25 at the ToB XP cap, if you triple class with cleric, you will not hit a high enough level
    DJKajurugorgonzolaAerakar
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    ThacoBell said:

I always thought the thieve's stronghold was a litle weak. FYI though, you don't get a holy symbol from the cleric stronghold. You get the holy symbol when your cleric hits level 25. I don't know if your C/T will hit that high or not.

I'll barely hit it before the cap, though I'm running with a small party, so it should be well enough before endgame, for what it's worth. Are you saying that you get the holy symbol regardless of stronghold if you're part cleric?
    ThacoBell
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    Yes, the Holy Symbol is automatically given when you reach level 25 cleric regardless of stronghold.
    ThacoBell
    @sarevok57 Almost, the Ranger/Cleric will hit 24. I figured T/C might be able to hit 25, but I wasn't sure.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited September 2018
    I didn't enjoy the thief stronghold quest much, the cleric one is more interesting.

I think if you're good aligned you get a symbol of Lathander IIRC, and if you're neutral it'll be one of Helm. It doesn't matter though because they do much the same thing. If you like you can imagine it's one of Tymora :)

PS the holy symbols are nice, but not essential - there are magic rings out there that are probably just as useful.
    ThacoBell
    I think @Raduziel 's deity kitpack has more symbols for more deities, if you wanna take a look.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Dharius

In Deities of Faerun, every deity has its own holy symbol which grants Bless (while equipped), +1 spell slot/level, +1 to Turn Undead, -1 to Spellcasting time. Quite useful, but not overpowered IMHO.

Also, some kits may pick more strongholds. Torm may get the paladin's one, Tempus may get the fighter's one, Mask may get the thief's one, Mystra may get the wizard's one and so it goes. Some kits can't get the cleric stronghold at all, they get the Unseeing Eye quest as any other class but are not eligible for the stronghold. The restriction of one stronghold only is sustained.

Thanks for the reminder, @ThacoBell I know you're not a big fan of DoF, but it is good to know that it is a personal taste and you would recommend it.
    ThacoBellBorekgorgonzolaAerakar
    @Raduziel I actually simply haven't tried your mod yet.
    Raduziel
    edited September 2018
    @ThacoBell Hope you enjoy it, then :)

@Kneller Just read the first post. DoF already has Tymora implemented and the goddess allows multiclass Cleric/Thief.

Edit: Wrong tagging.
    Post edited by Raduziel on
    BorekThacoBell
    @Raduziel That mod looks pretty cool. If I wasn't a multi (i.e. no kit allowed) and didn't want to mess with my fragile (I don't even remember what mods I have running) already modded install, I'd definitely give it a shot.
    Dharius said:

I didn't enjoy the thief stronghold quest much, the cleric one is more interesting.

Honestly, I don't really care for either. The only ones I ever liked were Ranger, Mage, and Bard. However, since my character (concept) is all about Tymora, running around for Lathander, Helm, or Talos wouldn't fit the story for me.

In terms of RP, I'm not even sure if I can take the Thieves' stronghold as a CG character. I mean, it's basically running a mob. I could see it as TN, NE, CN, and CE, maaaaaaaaybe LE, but CG would be a hell of a stretch.

@Kneller DoF has kits specifically for multiclasses, so that's not an issue. DoF's Readme explains pretty clearly how to install it with other mods, so don't worry about breaking anything.

The problem is installing mods in an ongoing game, that's not recommended indeed.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Kneller said:

@Raduziel That mod looks pretty cool. If I wasn't a multi (i.e. no kit allowed) and didn't want to mess with my fragile (I don't even remember what mods I have running) already modded install, I'd definitely give it a shot.

Dharius said:

Honestly, I don't really care for either. The only ones I ever liked were Ranger, Mage, and Bard. However, since my character (concept) is all about Tymora, running around for Lathander, Helm, or Talos wouldn't fit the story for me.

In terms of RP, I'm not even sure if I can take the Thieves' stronghold as a CG character. I mean, it's basically running a mob. I could see it as TN, NE, CN, and CE, maaaaaaaaybe LE, but CG would be a hell of a stretch.

Robin Hood was the archtypical chaotic good so it could be done. No slavery, or assassinations for sure, but robbing the rich and smuggling? Maybe...
    ThacoBell
    That's how I'm trying to look at it. And, in terms of stealing, I'm only stealing from the rich (the town councilman in Beregost, the whoever in a mansion at Nashkel) and leaving the rest alone.
    Balrog99ThacoBell