Skip to content

Can't save game

Is anyone else unable to save their game? I am able to start a new game fine. I can import saves from BGEE just fine. However, when I try to save any progress in SOD, I create a save then try to load the save, annnddd...There's nothing there.

Comments

• podpity_joepodpity_joe Member Posts: 21
    Same here. I checked in My Documents.The save files for BG:EE and SoD are there in seperate folders. It looks as though the game somehow doesn't see the save files or has another folder set to browse. I'm playin on Steam. I just finished BG:EE and there were no problems with save files there.
    New info: this problem occurs when quicksaving. Clicking on the save icon in the menu, however, has no effect on the first try and crashes the game on the second click Therefore there's no possibility of successfully saving and loading the game either way. I reproduced this problem several times and decided to wait for a response from someone who knows stuff around here. I'm a Windows 10 user. Save files are in my documents
  • SwiftTrooperSwiftTrooper Member Posts: 5
    Thank you Podpity. I'm waiting on a response as well from the support staff.
    I managed to solve the problem simply by entering the second level of the prologue dungeon. In the second level the game corectly loaded quicksaves and autosaves. Try that. And try not to die in the initial level.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    edited April 2016
    An irritating problem. Can you please give as much information as possible. Machine specifications and operating system.

I am suffering with this. You can easily copy and paste your machines specs from this site.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com

My specs are:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz
    Manufacturer Intel
    Speed 2.0 GHz
    Number of Cores 2
    Video Card Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family v2
    Manufacturer Intel
    Chipset Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family v2
    Dedicated Memory 64.0 MB
    Total Memory 1.5 GB
    Memory 3.0 GB
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 (build 10586), 32-bit
    Service Pack 0
    Size 32 Bit

I also have a crash dump... I can make a ticket on the beta site... Please make a ticket if you can and upload your crash dump. Load it here if you do not...

EDIT: @bengoshi can we move this to the troubleshooting area of the forum please.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Can each of you confirm if you do or do not have non-english characters in your file path to the documents folder?
    @Cerevant Copying and pasting my path reveals...

C:\Users\Andrew\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\sodsave

@SwiftTrooper and @podpity_joe ?

I can reveal that @podpity_joe 's solution of going to the second level of the dungeon does, for some reason, allows you to save the game as normal for a SoD playthrough. However, no such solution works for the original game or the tutorial, moving to another area has no effect (quick save and auto-save works as normal). The black pits seems unaffected.

I'm testing everything on my machine, checking the exe security, turning norton on and off, wifi, Steam, Beamdog installer... Nothing seems to change it... Generating lots of crash dumps...
    @Anduin try Taking Ownership of the Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition folder and each of its subfolders.
    I will try finishing the Prologue. Thanks for all the discussion guys. I've been at work so haven't been able to check this.
    edited April 2016
    @Cerevant tried that. Unfortunately, Windows 10 does not have that option.

EDIT: Actually found a programme that added back into windows 10!

Still didn't work...
    Post edited by Anduin on
    Can you both try renaming your BG:EE folder in Documents so the game can create a new one?
  • ngreennzngreennz Member Posts: 5
    I had the problem where trying to get into the save screen would crash on the second click; renaming the folder and letting the game create a second one fixed that.
    Just tried renaming te folder. It did not work. Returned everything back to where it was. I am worried this may be a Windows 10 issue.
  • StronginthearmStronginthearm Member Posts: 1
    running win 7 ultra quicksave does not work and save under options does autosaves seem to workl
  • Nothing_to_see_hereNothing_to_see_here Member Posts: 31
    I have a weird thing happening with my saves now. Before upgrading to windows 10 I had no problems at all, after the upgrade it seems that Baldurs gate gets confused where he saves the game. And how.

When I'm loading, the game checks the shared documents (for some reason, it didn't do that before the upgrade) and when I save in a new file, the game saves it in the shared folder. No problems so far.
    But when I save over an old file, like a quicksave for example, the game sometimes move the save to my personal folder and sometimes it saves it in the shared folder but with some strange security settings that won't let me access it. When trying to look into the folder I get an "Access denied" on that folder I saved. That save is not shown in the game either.

It also seems that the very first save when I start the game in a new session (i.e. not starting a new game, just restarting the game and loading a save) works as it should, even if I save over an older save.

About the non english characters, I have a swedish windows 10 and the save path shows some swedish characters, but when checking what the path really is called, it says this:
    C:\Users\Jonas\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save (or Public instead of Jonas)

Has this been solved in some way? It says nothing here but the thread is not exactly new and it just seems to have faded away. And I'm not sure my problem is the same as others here, the information in this thread is not exactly overwhelning.
    And I'm playing the latest version of Baldurs gate EE without SoD.

@Anduin, it seems you are active, did you see any solution?
    @Nothing_to_see_here this is a very daft solution. But it worked for me. Play the game and get down to the second level of the dungeon. It will automatically create an auto-save... And for no special reason... Fix the other save issues.

Also. Have you updated to the latest version?

Other things to consider with Win 10.

Are you saving your documents to the Microsoft cloud drive? This crashed me out a couple of times as my saves would slowly upload in the background and then I would try and quick load a partially uploaded save...

Are you saving or play the game from a USB or SD drive. Latest Win 10 security update has made these drives drop out and reconnect randomly. Also causing crashes and problems with saves...

For a complete cure I suggest Linux or a new machine...
  • Nothing_to_see_hereNothing_to_see_here Member Posts: 31
    @Anduin
    Playing BG EE without SoD so dungeons are not really an option. :)
    Updated to the latest version. No cloud saves, USB, SD, SSD or any other strange things, just a plain old hard drive.

And yes, Linux have crossed my mind since the update, Windows 10 is not ready yet, and it's a year since they released it.. But that will of course create a plethora of other problems so not really worth it. I will just have to endure.

And I'm quite late in the game, done with Tales of the Sword coast and evading the law in BG so it might be better to just keep going, creating new saves and deleting old ones. Hoping that SoD will work as it should. Or at least dungeon swapping will be enough.
  • OedipusTexOedipusTex Member Posts: 1
    I was having the same problem and I just noticed that there are these tabs on the bottom of the SoD start menu that allow you to switch between games (BGEE, SoD, and Black Pits). For some reason my BGEE "button" was pressed so even though it looked like SoD it was BGEE. At any rate, I switched it to the SoD tab, the game started and all of my saved games "reappeared". I'm not tech savvy at all, but my problem sounded similar to what y'all were dealing with. At any rate, give it a whirl.
  • FrancisAu49FrancisAu49 Member Posts: 1
    For those having issues saving their game with Win10 and OneDrive active. Make sure to change the save setting of "Documents" to your PC, not OneDrive.

Here is how : Right click on the OneDrive icon > Settings > Auto save > Documents > To this PC only

The BGEE save folder will create itself. You can also copy/paste your files from the OneDrive folder.

Hope it helps.
  • existboxexistbox Member Posts: 1

For those having issues saving their game with Win10 and OneDrive active. Make sure to change the save setting of "Documents" to your PC, not OneDrive.

Here is how : Right click on the OneDrive icon > Settings > Auto save > Documents > To this PC only

The BGEE save folder will create itself. You can also copy/paste your files from the OneDrive folder.

Hope it helps.

thank you solve the problem. it is windows 10 onedrive's fault save the game wrong way

it work on me.
  • Lord_KinboatLord_Kinboat Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    I had an issue when I first installed the game. It wouldn't save.

The solution was to ensure that my documents folder was located a C:\Documents. If the Documents folder is located C:\your name|documents, files will not save.

To change the location, right click on your win10 icon, sellect file explorer, then right click on the documents in the left hand pane. Go to Properties, then file location, change to C"\Documents.

That should solve the issue.