Skip to content

Getting arrested at Candlekeep

So, I just returned to Candlekeep. I wanted to explore the place before confronting the leaders, but once I get to the sixth floor the guard arrests me for killing them anyways. Is that just how it's supposed to be?

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Yup.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    It is possible to explore everywhere, but you need to dodge the guards to do so (you can be arrested on lower floors as well once you've gone above the floor with the leaders on).
  • Skip beating up the Iron Throne if you want to explore as their death will add sentinels on many floors. Otherwise, only the top floor will have a guardian. You can go upstairs alone and invisible and he will not bother you. Stay out of sight and carry some form of invisibility or have a thief who can reliably hide in shadows. Once everything has been looted, kill the leaders of the Iron Throne if that's your thing then get arrested.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited September 2018
    Speaking of this topic. Am I the only one who thinks it's very strange that you get arrested, tried for murder and sentenced to death and yet the authorities let you keep all your equipment? Were they just too afraid of you to ask for your sword, shield, bow, arrows, wand of fireballs, magical jewelry, belts, gauntlets, bracers, cloak, scroll book, potion case, gem bag and boots? I'm sorry, at some point SOMEBODY is going to have to TRY to kill me!

Now I'm kind of picturing that scene in the matrix where the security guy asks Neo to please put any metal objects in the box at the checkpoint. Priceless scene!
  • xizorxizor Member Posts: 89
    @Balrog99

Even though it seems like you keep your eqipment, the dialogue implies that they took it. Thethoril gives it back to you ("I have your possesions with me, you must take them and go with haste").
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    That's a lot of equipment for an old man to carry. Must have a bag of holding...
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    actually if you want to explore all of candlekeep without getting arrested there are 2 things you need to do:

#1 do NOT speak with koveras, he is actually the holmes that will script this in with the gate warden on the top floor

#2 do NOT kill the baddies on the third level because that warps in the watcher on level 4

so if you want to explore all of candle keep, here is how i do it:

first level: give 'er ham, nothing here will trigger the "arrested" scene

second level: as soon as you get here, run upstairs and talk with no body ( you will be coming back )

third level: same thing, skip this level and go to level 4

fourth level: now you will not be molested by the "arrested" scene ( although i still advise not talking to the watchers though ) so explore at your leisure
    * Do note that if you are seen stealing goodies from chests and the like you can get caught, so stealth is still a good option there

fifth level: again do whatever you wish here and all should be good

sixth level: the gate warden will still come speak to you just to say he doesn't have time to speak to you ( HAW, thanks for the irony pal ) anyway, again explore at your leisure, but perhaps though when thethoril comes to speak to you, make sure he is as far away from his starting position as possible because if you plan to "procure" the goodies from the chest/cabinet in his room, you will summon the guards so watch out beware

after levels 1,4,5,6 are all said and done, go back down to level 2

second level: now you can talk to all the holmes who will come flying in on your position, after their conversations, do as you will

third level: again do whatever you need to do here, perhaps murder perhaps not, either way you are getting framed for it so you know what to do :)

after you finish floor 3, you will be arrested on floor 4 but it will be all good, since you will have finished all of candlekeep library and its time to continue on to the next section
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Balrog99 said:

That's a lot of equipment for an old man to carry. Must have a bag of holding...

He's got old man strength
  • TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    elminster said:

Balrog99 said:

He's got old man strength
    For a doppelganger, he pretty old, ugly too. ;)