Skip to content

Protection From Petrification

Hello! Dont know if its a bug, but, i go to the Basilisk area, and i'm around lvl 5-6, and i cast protection from petrification (the first level spell) on every member of the group, and one: it last only for a few minutes, making me recast it, and two: i'm still getting petrified, even with the spell active... it is a bug?
Browsing the forum earlier, i discovered that the duration is like this, 5 minutes in real time, but i dont get it why i'm still getting petrified even with the spell active.
To finish the area, i have to summon skeletons and put Minsc with a bow behind it, and leave my group and protagonist in a border of the area.
Please send me your tougths of this.

Comments

• GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited September 2018
    Its duration is indeed around 5+/- minutes. Besides an honest bug where a file is corrupt and causing the spell not to work as intended, perhaps you're mistaking protection from evil for protection from petrification due to the similarity of their symbols?

I'd try and track down any mod files you use and then do a fresh install of the game or if you're using steam "verify integrity" of the game files and see if that fixes the problem.
    ThacoBell
  • MarciusVetrackMarciusVetrack Member Posts: 12
    I'm not mistaking the spells, i'm sure it is protection from petrification, its the simbol with the little man inside the circle, i'm sure...
    With relations to mods, i'm doing a minimal mod instalation, it's already a fresh install, and the only save game...
    The mods i use are: BG1 NPC Project, Tweaks Anthology, BG Mini quests and encounters, BG Romances Encounters, The Packmule, and the AI BP Series. These are well documented mods, and i dont know if they have something to do with this.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    I'm not aware of any bug associated with PfP in the vanilla game, so I think this must be something to do with your installation. None of the mods you mention should have affected the spell directly, but it's possible that installing them has introduced some bugs. I agree it would be sensible to do a fresh installation (in a fresh directory).
    ThacoBell
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited September 2018
    Grond0 said:

I'm not aware of any bug associated with PfP in the vanilla game, so I think this must be something to do with your installation. None of the mods you mention should have affected the spell directly, but it's possible that installing them has introduced some bugs. I agree it would be sensible to do a fresh installation (in a fresh directory).

beamdog's own patches have caused countless regressions and "bugs" so i doubt this has to do with installs.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    If no-one else has reported this sort of problem then it seems much more likely it's specific to this installation rather than a generic bug. It should be easy enough to test by the OP just doing a fresh installation.
    ThacoBellsarevok57
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803

beamdog's own patches have caused countless regressions and "bugs" so i doubt this has to do with installs.

The patches bugged out modded versions of 2.3, yes, but I don't recall seeing any new bug reports showing up on mods installed on a patched 2.5. I haven't had the chance to test this with an unmodded install (I'm frankly not sure if I HAVE an unmodded install) but this is the first time this issue's ever surfaced.
    ThacoBell
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    A couple of thoughts:
    Firstly, I just cast PfP on my tank and recast when necessary - I don't throw my whole party into the affray because the basilisk attack still causes physical damage even when protected from petrification.
    So secondly, are you sure you're dying from petrification and not just........death?