Skip to content

Cloakwood without a thief

Any strategies for how to proceed? I'm running a custom party of a paladin, cleric and mage. About to start the spider area of Cloakwood and thinking hmm, I've never done this without a thief in the party. I hate to skip out on recovering Chedak's body...and thinking ahead, parts of the mines are going to be potentially painful.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • SingsSings Member Posts: 10
    Thanks! My cleric hit L7, got Free Action, just as the party squeezed their way to the spider cave, one leading and setting off web traps, the others covering her with missile fire. So that went OK. Guess I'm going to have to tank the battle horrors in the mines...hints would help! Been a long time since I did this the hard way.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

My old way of getting past the web traps in the spider area without a thief is to have someone cast Invisibility and walk through the area, triggering all the traps. If they get paralyzed, they won't be attacked since they're invisible. Once they've triggered all the traps, I have them walk back to the rest of the party and wait until all the webs have expired. Then the party goes through the area.

An easy way to kill the Battle Horrors is to use the Wand of Frost (from the spider lair) on them.

In any case, if you have a level 7 character this early in the game, I doubt the mines will be that tough.

i always intentionally trip the battle horror traps for that juicy 8000 XP, mmm mmm :)
    StummvonBordwehrSkatan[Deleted User]
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    I spend a lot of time in the Wyvern cave power levelling Imoen's mage levels so I can disarm/unlock again.
    sarevok57
    Thanks, folks, Cloakwood was easier than expected and the frost wand worked a treat on those battle horrors. When I first played the game many years ago, I wasn't expecting them and they spanked me real bad...to this day battle horrors scare me, lol. But from now on, I'm going for the XP!

Now my party is in the Gate and I'm trying to concoct some reasonable way my paladin can lay her saintly hands on the Cloak of Balduran. (Usually I pickpocket it.) Pesky ethics (and lack of skills) are getting in the way. Boo. This is why I always, always play as a thief! Walking past a locked chest just seems so wrong! (Even when they're filled with junk.)
    UnderstandMouseMagicThacoBell
    Sings said:

Thanks, folks, Cloakwood was easier than expected and the frost wand worked a treat on those battle horrors. When I first played the game many years ago, I wasn't expecting them and they spanked me real bad...to this day battle horrors scare me, lol. But from now on, I'm going for the XP!

Now my party is in the Gate and I'm trying to concoct some reasonable way my paladin can lay her saintly hands on the Cloak of Balduran. (Usually I pickpocket it.) Pesky ethics (and lack of skills) are getting in the way. Boo. This is why I always, always play as a thief! Walking past a locked chest just seems so wrong! (Even when they're filled with junk.)

remember, anything a thief can open, the level 2 spell knock can open it, so if you really need to get whats inside use the mage spell knock

as for the cloak of balduran what you can do, is drop someone off temporarily ( say at the elf song tavern ) and go pick up alora at the hall of wonders at night ( since she will come with a nice pick pocket score ) use her to grab the cloak, drop her off back where ever and bring your previous companion back from the elf song
    [Deleted User]
    My mage keeps one knock spell memorized so every once in awhile she'll knock a lock. (I rest as seldom as possible.) And my cleric has 18/00 strength so every once in awhile those doors just pop open. Oops, clumsy me, what flimsy construction! I thought about Alora, at least she's aligned good, but I'm thinking my paladin is still going to have a problem...well, really, I'm trying to see if I can run without a thief, since that's mainly what I'm experienced with. LOL I've never been good at playing mages or clerics and I'm trying to learn.
    sarevok57Skatan
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Sings In north-ish Baldur's Gate, there is a big manor that really stands out near the bottom of one of the area maps. If you go inside, you get mobbed by battle horrors and invisible stalkers (Hardest fight in the game imo). Survive those and a mage will port in and demand you run an errand for him to pay for his lost guards. This errand is finding the cloak of balduran. You can do his quest and have the cloak given to you willingly. Then you can decide to screw the mage who threatened you and keep the cloak for yourself. Done, you get the cloak without stealing, and even save a few lives during the quest.
    ThacoBell said:

@Sings In north-ish Baldur's Gate, there is a big manor that really stands out near the bottom of one of the area maps. If you go inside, you get mobbed by battle horrors and invisible stalkers (Hardest fight in the game imo). Survive those and a mage will port in and demand you run an errand for him to pay for his lost guards. This errand is finding the cloak of balduran. You can do his quest and have the cloak given to you willingly. Then you can decide to screw the mage who threatened you and keep the cloak for yourself. Done, you get the cloak without stealing, and even save a few lives during the quest.

pssst.... its actually the helm of balduran, but close enough :) ( the note tells you where both items are but holmes is looking for the helm )
  • hockmah2hockmah2 Member Posts: 10
    If you ask for the helmet but not insist , the unpetrified warrior offers you the cloak in retribution.
    ThacoBellsarevok57
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    As @hockmah2 says, you can easily get the cloak through the quest. For someone rping as good, that shouldn't be an issue to pull off.
    Wow, thanks, I've never actually done that quest. By the time I get to Baldur's Gate, I'm ready to rush through the main quest. (I've always liked the way the game pace changes to make me feel a sense of urgency at this point.) I expect I've missed a lot of the city side quests.
    ThacoBell[Deleted User]