Skip to content

Missing Coran

am I the only one who always had Coran in the party in BG1?

I used to give him boots of speed and glove of giant strength, long sword+2 (+1 cold). I used to solo entire dungeons with him! making foes explode to his critical hits like nothing!

now I'm stuck with worthless dual-maged half-thieves bountyhounters which I only use as trap detectors.

But I don't want to use a character just to be a radar! pure thieves are useless in a fight... they don't hit, don't damage and don't tank. setting traps is funny but only do so much/it doesn't fit every situation.a I'd like a multi fighter-thief and I'm regretting starting the game with a Paladin (cause apparently there's a good one in the game).

is there any thief resembling the versatility of Coran in BG2?
Ludwig_II

Comments

• BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    Jan is the only Multi-class thief in the BG2, he's actually very good, but you do need some levels under the belt for him to shine. He's particularly brutal with Mislead letting him backstab over and over.

If you have EE Keeper and you are disappointed with the options available then you can simply edit an NPC you like having in the party to something that matches your class/kit wishes.

Obviously there are many mods available also, i would be surprised if there aren't some that have new multi-class thieves.
    JuliusBorisov
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    A F/T (or even better F/M/T) is a great choice for a BG2 protagonist given the game's lack of melee-capable thieves.

Paladins are less than ideal CHARNAMEs for a couple of reasons. First, it's not hard to boost your charisma in BG2 so you don't need the 17-18 starting charisma that paladins receive. Second, there is already a joinable NPC (Keldorn) who happened to pick the strongest paladin kit. Third, the most powerful ability from that kit (dispelling magic at twice your level) doesn't depend on your stats so there's less of a benefit from burning your one super-high-stat character slot (the one you roll) on a paladin. I enjoy playing a paladin anyway for RP reasons but think you're right to consider a different choice for a first run-through of BG2.
    Cabal82
  • Kaisc006Kaisc006 Member Posts: 25
    You are vastly underestimating Yoshimo’s abilities. Equipped with shortbows (there is one that gives 3 attacks) and Thaco boosting items he hits well enough. Also, you only need your open lock / trap to 100 (which is overkill most of the time) and should get his set traps up. His special snares can be deployed in combat at range and are excellent. Also, setting traps can make difficult boss encounters a
    Breeze. He can’t melee well but backstab is overrated. If you’re good aligned there are ways to counter mages (who are the best targets for backstabbing).

But that said I missed Coran as well. His humor was good and he’s a crack shot with the bow.
    ThacoBellgorgonzola
  • demilichdemilich Member Posts: 5
    Wait, you had Coran in your party, in BG1, and you used him as a melee longsword brawler? I am speechless :D
    ThacoBellUnderstandMouseMagic
  • MefestoMefesto Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2018
    I remember him being the best!
    I played BG1 when it came out, so no dual wielding bs... long sword and long bow, incredible dexterity and gloves of giant strength made him a perfect all round character.
    backstab was half the job done, but he was also good in finishing the victim having the thaco and the strength of a fighter.
    not much of a tank but what are you gonna do??
    I had a very heavy armor-oriented party anyways (pc fighter, minsc, the good blonde cleric girl and jaheira or kivan) and with boots of speed Coran could easily go in and out of combat coming back for more backstabs! :)

also a very good shot when at low health, perfect character I tell you!

I was a child, but what's wrong in putting Coran in the front lines? he was perfectly suited to so :)

edit: didn't he already come with long sword proficiency?
  • MefestoMefesto Member Posts: 12
    about the characters, I'm changing them a lot during time, using them at least for their own quests. Yoshimo is still with me, usually the less helpful character of the party (the best use I find of him in combat is firing lots of arrows on mages stoneskins) but I don't care anymore.

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Thieves can be GREAT, but they require more micro than mages to be used to full potential.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Kaisc006 said:

He can’t melee well but backstab is overrated. If you’re good aligned there are ways to counter mages (who are the best targets for backstabbing).

backstab probably is underrated by most of the players, once you master it you will find that it can do much more than killing mages. you can easily destroy strong enemy parties
    like the one you find in the temple area sewers

using a single thief, his stealth, backstab and traps.
    planar spere, planar prison and many other areas become much easier as you use backstab to its full potential.

Mefesto said:

I remember him being the best!
    I played BG1 when it came out, so no dual wielding bs... long sword and long bow, incredible dexterity and gloves of giant strength made him a perfect all round character.
    backstab was half the job done, but he was also good in finishing the victim having the thaco and the strength of a fighter.
    not much of a tank but what are you gonna do??

in bg2 there are different levels and a thief does not shine so much used like that.
    for many reasons
    1. ranged weapons are a lot less powerful
    2. fighters get +1/2 apr at lev 7, and an other 1/2 at 13, they get also +1/2 apr with specialization and +1apr with great maestry. so they have at high level +2 apr compared to thief and +1.5 apr if multi or dual from fighter lev 7-12. as they can get 3 pips in DW they can have up to 3 apr more than a thief.
    3. they reach 0 thac0, you can not level enough in bg1 to see all those differences. so
    4. probably to give to a thief str enhancing items is not the wisest thing, you can do it as he backstabs to rise his thac0 and get some more dmg, not multiplied, but a proper fighter can spread the str bonuses on a much larger number of apr. the best str enhancer in soa gives 25 str, that is +14 dmg, the second one gives str 21, +9 dmg. better to use them on a toon that has 3-5 apr than on someone that hits only one time/round.

• steelchasersteelchaser Member Posts: 72
    There is a great mod for Coran. I wouldn’t go forth without him. I also play my char name as a paladin-inquisitor. Now that’s a tank. Add in Neera and Minsk and let the nutsy coo moo begin....
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    Yeah I can't imagine playing a good party without Coran. Too bad we can't keep him during SoD though. I wish there was a mod of him for SoD