Skip to content

What a waste of time.

What a waste of time nwn ee has been. A complete lack of marketing or any sort of drive to boost player base.
Tell me what did i pay $40 for ? i could of just carried on playing the old 1.69.

i think refunds are in order.

change my mind.

Comments

• zordren3742zordren3742 Member Posts: 207
    edited October 2019
    Post edited by zordren3742 on
  • shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154
    BeamDog is bringing the game to mobile. I expect that will grow the market and playerbase quite a bit.

-Dave
  • Drewbert_ahoyDrewbert_ahoy Member Posts: 96
    BeamDog is almost certainly working on new premium modules.

People cough up 40+ bucks for kickstarter projects all the time, where you don't get anything til the game launches. With NWN:EE we got an improved version of the game right away and it runs great. I'm currently playing through Daggerford and it's lots of fun.
  • Grizzled_DwarflordGrizzled_Dwarflord Member Posts: 168
    It's worth it. Maybe not to the casual end-user consumer, but to the developers and creators of PWs and custom content, it's a huge advancement. It's akin to going from the stone age to the bronze age. Maybe that's too generous. It's akin to drinking a single malt scotch distilled in the Highlands of Glencoe versus drinking a blended rot gut Johnie Walker.

Maybe that's too generous.

It's like watching something on DVD, and then watching it again in HD Blu-ray.
  • jglvz256jglvz256 Member Posts: 52
    Speaking as a player I haven't found a reason to switch over to EE yet, although I did buy it.

I still prefer 1.69 with nwnshader functionality. Getting gamma control back one day would be nice as well.
  • Merago_JertMerago_Jert Member Posts: 4
    There are still PWs out there with sizeable player bases that can't jump to EE yet because they use scripts that are heavily reliant on NWNX2 plugins. I know there are a fair few worlds who have heavily utilised NWNX2 plugins that are keen to move, but are still ironing out the kinks/trying to find workarounds with their NWNX2 based scripts.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    NWNX but also NWShader and client extensions. While we can make arguments about the merits of new features in NWN EE it's also true that the third party community developed software provides other high impact features which NWN EE doesn't. An advanced PW then has to make the choice, one or the other, but you can't have both. On the other hand you can let NWN EE clients connect to 1.69 servers through a workaround I believe, but I think you would still need modifications to get client extender features.

It's a problem that I don't see changing dramatically any time soon. Beamdog were made aware of the branching development of 1.69 servers after their initial announcement but decided to focus on improving NWN EE. It was a reasonable decision but at the same time people explained that it would have a diminishing impact on the total PW population being split between two versions, which is also what ended up happening. Currently NWN EE has fewer players in the PW master list (including lan games) than the old community list + unlisted servers had for NWN DE before the release of NWN EE. However the overall total of players between both versions is more than before.

I would hope that Beamdog would take more serious steps in rectifying the situation by working with community developers of 1.69 servers. I have a feeling that the situation will persist until NWN EE catches up to the NWN DE community developments, and surpass NWN DE in other respects. It may be that tapping another market will boost the player base but I'm skeptical. People were adamant that Steam players would transform the player population back to a golden age which didn't really happen. You would need five or ten more Steams to make that a reality.

That's not to say that there aren't winners in the PW space after NWN EE released. There are perhaps 2 or maybe 3 servers which benefited greatly and account for the majority of EE PW players now. The rest have significantly lower numbers, so if the 2 high pop options don't tickle your fancy you might not stick around. It's not the most healthy situation for the player population, and while gog and android releases might contribute to improving it I don't think they'll have a significant lasting impact overall. 5 high pop servers would be better than 2 give more variation of choice, attract more players, and increase the likelihood or trying low pop servers.

So I think the player base will be unified eventually but I think it might take years not months. We'll also have to wait and see what impact the rumored 3rd expansion will have.
  • Merago_JertMerago_Jert Member Posts: 4

On the other hand you can let NWN EE clients connect to 1.69 servers through a workaround I believe, but I think you would still need modifications to get client extender features.

I wasn't aware of this, I thought it was same client version as server or no connection - is there documentation for this workaround somewhere?

• FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    I believe that Mavrixio of the Sinfar server has developed this, so it would probably be a 1.69 server that intercepts the signals and permits an EE client to connect to a 1.69 servers. I believe they have a gateway module on NWN EE server master list, usually with 0 players that then transports the player to their main server. He appears to know a lot about these sorts of things and other extended features of his servers like enhanced character customization and dynamic area creation. I believe many of his features were open sourced, and he hosts some other rp servers that use his system too, so you can probably get in touch with him about it. Honestly I would have expected him to have been one of the community advisers but it doesn't seem to be the case.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    undeniably true...
  • ArtosArtos Member Posts: 16
    It's a shame they didn't release it as an Early Access title, as that's exactly what it is.

I remember seeing the proof-of-concept for the temple graphics overhaul and was amazed, thinking that NWN never looked so sexy. Now I see that we're still some time away from the entire game being made to look that way, let alone be a stable experience.

I purchased the NWN:EE and Darkness Over Daggerford. The premium module had some promise, but with crashes coming about every 20 minutes, it made the experience horrible.

In related news...

This last week saw a big patch for BG:EE, which fixed a lot of Beamdog bugs that popped up in the EE project. This game was released six years ago now (!) and that's a looooong time to wait for bug fixes. I have the feeling that NWN:EE will be great, eventually. But if we all have to wait 6 years for that...

Anyways, I agree with some of the folks here that Beamdog missed a really big window in attracting new players, and it will be an uphill climb from here on out to convince people to buy and try this game. That being said, I don't really harbor any ill-will towards Beamdog for this, I applaud that they are trying to revive it. I think they just got a little too excited and released it waaaay too early. If I recall, they released it only about 6 months after publicly announcing it was in the works. They'll get another window when they launch the inevitable DLC for it, but that will have diminishing returns with each release of DLC.

As I write this, there are actually more people on NWN1 servers than NWN:EE, according to nwnscry and the Beamdog master server. However, these are mostly non-English servers on NWN1, while english-speaking servers are on NWN:EE, so maybe there is room for growth in the international scene. Still, steamapps tracking shows a steady decline in average player count since the April release.

What does stand out, are the 100+ completely empty PWs on the NWN:EE server list. The game badly needs players, and it seems like a lot of the NWN community that is left are builders. I'm not sure that NWN:EE will ever be able to recapture the magic that was the original PW scene with NWN. I remember that PWs were never really meant to happen, the toolset/DM functions were built around the idea of a small group, so it was partly amazing in itself that PWs ever were even a thing at all. People had lower expectations of them and there was definitely a "hobbyist" feel to the scene. Nowadays, to run a successful PW (by measure of large player count), you need an entire staff of semi-professionals to do so, and it will take up a significant portion of your life.

Perhaps Beamdog still finds success in making NWN:EE a game that reflects table-top D&D with smaller groups, but I have my doubts about a flourishing PW community ever getting back to the high water mark it enjoyed in the first 5 years after NWN's original release. And you know what? Maybe that's fine. Maybe it was just a one-shot deal at the time.

I don't want this to come off as a rant really though, and I'm fine with giving them my dollars. The entertainment value I got out of the original game was unmatched in all of my years of gaming (only rivaled by the Civ series) so I don't feel too badly about all of this. But, like others, I'm saddened a bit by the fact that the NWN community waited for a long time for official support and in the end it felt rushed out the door. The funny thing is that as an ex-PW admin, I can definitely relate to rushing something out because you're excited to share it with your community, only to find that there are still some bugs to work out!

Anyways, I'll see you all in six years!
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    edited September 2018
    uh, yeah. they are longterm caretakers of these games. Of COURSE we'll still be getting updates in six years. That's the whole damn point! It's going to take YEARS to replace all the character models and tilesets.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    There has to be huge potential for this game since it's the only online version of the "real" DnD experience.

Myself being a huge nwn fanatic, I still get turned off by the awful graphics. I have to wonder just how big an impact a proper visual overhaul would have. I guess from a business point of view a huge investment in an old game could be risky. But the only important enhancement nwn truly needs is the visual one, and years is just too long.
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    edited September 2018
    It's not like there's any competition on the horizon. And all of these things are obvious, hence rebuilding the lighting engine and graphics pipeline.
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    When this comes to tablets, it should be big.
    For some reason dungeons and dragons have avoided tablets. I always figured that wotc didn’t like money.
    Only bringing bioware classics over, as well as that one card game.

The things that always bothered me about Neverwinter have been
    - character customization
    - difficulty of getting new modules
    - Henchmen/pets/familiars ai

Supposedly beamdog will fix this.
    I haven’t played much since release as a result.
  • LaputianBirdLaputianBird Member Posts: 107
    edited September 2018
    Chiming in just to amend JFK's reference to "Laputian Bird's project". It is @Croquette's as much as mine
  • britishjbritishj Member Posts: 44
    edited September 2018
    I purchased the deluxe edition of the game and I know and trust beamdog will continue to improve neverwinter with awesome stuff, but as of right now, they simply haven't improved much at all from an end user standpoint. The game to me seems exactly the same with a few filters slapped over the top of it.

I want an improved user interface and maybe some slight updates to the original campaigns before i start playing the title again, as these would be features that directly effect me as someone who wants to play the game. And right now i'm seeing a lot of improvements from a content creators standpoint but none from an end users standpoint.

Its great to give content creators more controls and tools to work with, but if the engine your giving them still uses the same old UI that can simply be doubled in size ( sometimes cutting off parts of it ) then it means less people will play the cool content that these creators come out with.

This is just an opinion from someone who purchased the game on release and haven't seen much enhancements if any at all from my perspective.
  • GM_ODAGM_ODA Member Posts: 177
    What would you change about the OC?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    GM_ODA said:

What would you change about the OC?

Personally? The chests insane damage resistance that borders physical immunity. Really, locked chests are way too OP in NwN. Easily enough to be corrected if Beamdog is willing.
  • britishjbritishj Member Posts: 44
    Improved companions would be great, i'm not looking for direct control but maybe a few more options such as the ability to equipped them or summon their familiars would be great. Improved ai would also be welcome, stopping companions using elements that heal your enemies would be great.

Generally small quality of life improvements.
  • KranyumKranyum Member Posts: 33
    Game sucks. Beamdog haven't delivered shit. Save your money or ask for a refund
  • KendaricKendaric Member Posts: 9
    Kranyum said:

Care to elaborate?

While there haven't been many visual upgrades, there's been quite some "under the hood" improvements that aid builders/content creators. And hopefully there will be more to come, including visual upgrades to the models/tilesets.
  • KranyumKranyum Member Posts: 33
    Kendaric said:

Kranyum said:

Care to elaborate?

While there haven't been many visual upgrades, there's been quite some "under the hood" improvements that aid builders/content creators. And hopefully there will be more to come, including visual upgrades to the models/tilesets.
    *hopefully*
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    You wanna know what else is a waste of time? Video games.
    Why can’t people just read a good novel or get a hobby like knitting.