Skip to content

Balanced Stat Points Total

Hello everyone.

I'm creating a new party to replay IWD:EE, and I was wondering if there is something like a balanced total of stat points to create good, but not overpowered, character. I know that through the console commands you can "cheat" and max all stats, but I'd prefer to roll my stats (or at least I won't use all 108 points to create the PCs). So what is, in your opinion the perfect amount of stat points a character should have available? 85? 90?

Thank you in advance for all your answers.

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited September 2018
    I think it's less about how many stat points you have and more about where you put them. The two most broken choices you can make at character creation are multiclassing as a fighter and having a high strength, which you can easily do with even a modest number of points. For example a half-orc fighter/thief with stats 19/18/18/3/3/3 is among the strongest characters in the game and only takes 64 points to create. On the other hand, if you went with an average strength of 10 but 18s in everything else, you'd be a much weaker melee combatant despite having used a whopping 100 points.
    Post edited by jsaving on
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    One fun way of creating a non powergaming party is to not redistribute points at character creation. You roll as much as you want, but don’t reallocate stats. Except if you’re really lucky, you will rarely have characters with more than two stats above 16. It forces you to look deeper in the game to make up for the weaknesses your character can have. I had a paladin with 13 dex once, but, when I casted Cat’s Grace on her, her AC then became real good. Food for thoughts.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Totally agree with @Arctodus . Nowadays I always roll my characters like that , I just focus on two attributes ("strength and dexterity,for instance) and keep rolling till it looks balanced , sometimes I may get an extra high roll that will give the character more personality (a fighter with high charisma,or a mage with high constitution) .

On the hand,you you prefer to go for number of points I would suggest 80 for classes that only rely on a couple of abilities such as fighters and thieves, and 84 for classes that rely on both physical and mental abilities such as paladins and rangers.