Skip to content

Suggestion: alphabetized tailmodel + wingmodel drop downs in creature editor

shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154
edited November 2017 in Builders - Toolset
Creature appearances are already alphabetized; propagating this feature to tail model and wingmodel selection will help find stuff in mods with a lot of cc options in these departments.

-Dave

Comments

• BalanorBalanor Member Posts: 176
    edited November 2017
    Yes! I heartily agree with this. It bugged me so much, I honestly decided it would save me time instead of hunting through the list of tails (when looking to resize a creature), to instead revise my wings and tails.2da files just so they would be in alphabetical order in the toolset, rather than in order they are in the 2da file.
  • shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154
    Sorry to necro this thread, but a couple more strongly related ideas came up this week while working on integrating new robes and cloaks into some HAKs:

1) alphabetize the cloak appearance drop down menu by label when choosing an appearance
    2) add support for a new LABEL column in parts_*.2da, and have the toolset sort on that, when it exists, rather than on the ACBONUS column. ACBONUS only makes a lot of sense for chest pieces, and this suggestion mostly just makes sense for robes. I really only care about it for parts_robe.2da, but it may be worth just doing at once for all the parts 2das while you're in there going at it.

-Dave
  • TheAmethystDragonTheAmethystDragon Member Posts: 86
    This is something that has been on my wishlist. We have this for creatures and placeables, but not or anything else. :smile:

I like the idea for a LABEL column for content that doesn't already have it. It makes things easier to read and categorize. Plus, when I work on stuff in the CEP, I can add the content creators' names as part of the label so builders can see who made the stuff they are building with.

The additional label column would require reworking the armor properties window in the toolset to make the new text visible (as those drop-downs are not very wide).
    Yeah. I keep wondering if existing methods of hacking up the toolset (reference: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/nwn-toolset-modification-axs ) will work long term. I haven't tried messing with that under NWNee, nor most of the new features. Too many things to investigate and only so much time with the day job, family, pre-existing projects, etc.

If the axs toolset mod approach works long term, widening those fields is trivial, when the time comes.

My toolset mods are an unfinished idea on my HD too, as I keep finding stuff to tweak here and there, and the creature dialog is touchy, but I'm not sure how much effort it's worth putting into pursuing further v1.69 toolset GUI improvement ideas on my own with the advent of NWNee now.

Then again, I think @Sherincall estimated ~3000 man hours of work for a proper toolset update. I'm not convinced players will support builder issues on trello enough for them to get that kind of attention.

-Dave
    Bumping, since the toolset got some attention in this week's 8180 patch. @virusman @JuliusBorisov

-Dave
    Thank you sir!

-Dave