Skip to content

Unable to import a character from BGI to BGII on Mac.

So I just finished BG 1 and am trying to import my character to BGII SoA. When I bring up the import screen, it's not seeing any files. I have moved the final save from BGI into the save folder for BGII. The funny thing is that when I try to import a character into ToB, it DOES recognize my saved game files and I can import. Is this a bug, or do I need to put my save file into a different place now to import to SoA?

Comments

• JGPJGP Member Posts: 26
    Can't say with utter certainty as I don't work for Beamdog, but what I can tell you is that a BG 2 import will look for a BG 1 saved game in the BG 1 save folder, not the BG 2. From that you can infer that BG 2 looks for a specific place that BG 1 is installed and it's not finding it there. This could happen, I assume, from any number of reasons depending on your install history.

Solutions could be to make copies of your save and char folders then reinstall both games, move the saves back to the new folders and see if BG 2 finds them or to export your char at the end of BG 1 and then move those char files into the BG 2 char folder and see it if imports from there (specifying import char file instead of saved game file on the import).

Frankly, I don't understand the quirks of Beamdog's file conventions (those numbered folders etc.) and even after a clean install of all games on a new computer I am left with old versions that were never cleaned up after game upgrades and beta tests, so I can't just say where to put things.

Good luck. :)
  • ZokbarZokbar Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2018
    That is helpful, thank you, I'll try reinstalling. Actually, I thought of that second option, with the character file, but I can't seem to find the character folder location on my mac. I see the game comes with 4 preloaded characters but I can't find them in any folder I can see.
    If all else fails I'll just go back to my old version of BGII - I had no problem importing my saved game into that version.
    EDIT: tried that first option of reinstalling BG 1 EE, and pasting my final save. No luck there.
    Post edited by Zokbar on
  • JGPJGP Member Posts: 26
    Export with a unique file name and then search your computer for that name to find the char files. As far as reinstalling goes, you would have to do both games, preferably from the Beamdog client to make sure. It could be either game which is in a non-standard location. That's about all I got for ya.
  • ZokbarZokbar Member Posts: 3
    That character export thing worked - I now see that like the "save" folder, the "character" folder has to be initially generated as well, which is why I couldn't find it. Problem solved, thank you.