Skip to content

Steam vs GOG

I'm playing BG1:EE purchased on steam. This might be a stupid question but can I get Siege of Dragonspear and BG2:EE on GOG or do I need to get the steam versions if I want to carry on with a character from the steam version of BG1?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    You'll need the version you purchased BG1EE from, for SoD at least. For BG2, you should be able to import your character just fine, though you will probably need to do so manually.
    JuliusBorisovmegamike15
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    Cheers, that's what I thought
    JuliusBorisov
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    people will say you should get the gog version as it's drm free. but beam dogs games in general don't have a drm on steam. just move the game folder from your steam folder[ or copy and paste] and play it outside of it and it runs with out every having to start steam.

i do that with the bg games as it prevents me having issues if it updates in the middle of a game they also run better when outside of steam for whatever reason.
    Rik_KirtaniyaALIEN
    @megamike15 But by using Steam at all, you are putting DRM on your computer. The problem isn't the games, its Steam.
    Torgrimmer
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i've had steam for 4 years and i have been fine.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,269
    @Pingwin The only meaningful difference between edition is that SoD from Beamdog Store/Client doesn't require "DLC Merger" tool in order to install any mod.

i've had steam for 4 years and i have been fine.

And you might be fine forever, or you might end up one of the people who have their entire systems ruined by particularly aggressive DRM. You never what you are gonna get, and by supporting Stream, you encourage other companies to follow their lead and pack DRM into their products as well.
    Mogbog
  • MonotremataMonotremata Member Posts: 78
    ThacoBell said:

You'll need the version you purchased BG1EE from, for SoD at least. For BG2, you should be able to import your character just fine, though you will probably need to do so manually.

Well thats good to know I didnt screw anything up haha. Was about to buy it from Beamdog this time, but went with GOG again because it was like $6 this weekend. I was about to make a post the other day about the same thing, but after I bought it I figured I was safe anyways since all my EEs are from GOG. Ill have to keep that in mind when I finally get NWN.