Skip to content

What do you skip?

2»

Comments

• WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183

Seems obvious to me that everybody would turn Minsc down if they were truly RPing.

"A classic damsel in distress! How could anyone refuse?"

ThacoBellDordledum
  • SimulacreSimulacre Member Posts: 102

Seems obvious to me that everybody would turn Minsc down if they were truly RPing.

"A classic damsel in distress! How could anyone refuse?"

Just ask a feminist. :wink:
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    Nah, you can totally roleplay and recruit Minsc. You found the girdle of change gender before you even met him and only the best assassins using magical means can track you down and overcome your gender change disguise. Minsc is superpowerful and unlike others, who you wouldn't want to drag into danger, you don't feel guilty putting Minsc in danger, as he often returns the favour.
    ThacoBellGusinda
  • SimulacreSimulacre Member Posts: 102
    edited October 2018
    And here we go again for a roleplaying debate !

I'd argue that the gender disguise is useless if your companions give you away. Should you keep Imoen, Khalid and Jaheira in your party - and you should from a roleplay perspective - then it's not going to fool assassins.

Try to envision the scene :

* Hey Dan, who's that sweet little girl protected by the exact same persons that were protecting the target three days ago ? *

* I dunno Mike, but it's not like they would just get rid of the lad. Would they ?

* I guess not.. Besides, that chick with the annoying accent is still there. Isn't she supposed to be a friend of the target or something ?

* Indeed, and the other two are close friends of the dead geezer. They wouldn't be here if the target had left. So it must be him under some sort of spell. *

* Are you sure ? *

* Who cares ? Worst case scenario we kill an innocent, BIG DEAL... we're assassins ! *

* Oh, right... Sorry Dan, I'm so silly sometimes. Let's get the poisoned arrows then. *

See what I mean ?!

You're also meant to head straight to the Friendly Arm Inn and get Khalid and Jaheira asap after the ambush. Because of that, you'll be seen by somebody BEFORE you can change your gender.

Remember that racket near the stairs of the Inn ? Yeah, that one time when you had to kill a battered wizard in front of just everyone ? Or do you remember what happened right after when you entered the Inn and had to search through the whole place to find Khalid and Jaheira with a blood-tainted jacket and a dire smell ? Well, guess who's going to come forward with intel for a few coins ?

You'll need the people you can trust - and there aren't many, just three at this point - and there's no way you can consider surviving on your own unless playing a crazy person. Getting to the Friendly Arm Inn makes this tool impracticable because by the time you get it your physical appearance doesn't matter anymore. Plenty of ways to recognize you.

You could argue that soloing the game would resolve the problem. But is soloing the game a valid roleplay experience ? Not too sure about that. I guess that's another debate.
    fluke13
  • DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 243
    When playing a good character I always accept Minsc quest because the other 2 answers are really harsh. But I hardly ever take em along for the entire ride. No reason to. Just make sure Dynaheir is safe and dump them both in Nashkel.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I always take Minsc (and Dynaheir), Imoen, Jaheira and Khalid. I even take Xzar and Montaron early on- because I need meatshields, but I let them go If/when they survive the assassin on the steps of the FAI. If they die, I loot their bodies before moving on- it's not like they are going to be needing or using that stuff, anyway...

But I do like Minsc. Yeah, he's not the sharpest tool in the drawer, but he has a good heart, which is what I like about him. I find him a more interesting character than Ajantis, the other "good Fighter class" Minsc and I end up being fighting Bros (even though I play female characters).

I do like Rasaad, though. He's pretty Adorkable.
    ThacoBellBelgarathMTH
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    Yulaw9460 said:

Huh. Funny you should mention it, 'cause in my latest run through the game I skipped SoD entirely.

I'll likely do that next time. It's relatively short and, while fun, the lack of mod support means it's going to be pretty much identical for me each time.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Yulaw9460 said:

Huh. Funny you should mention it, 'cause in my latest run through the game I skipped SoD entirely.

I don't think that counts.
    It's an entirely seperate game.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391

Yulaw9460 said:

I don't think that counts.
    It's an entirely seperate game.
    I "skip" bg2 and ToB in most playthroughs in the sense that I restart before I get to them.
    redline
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
    edited October 2018
    To get back to roleplaying CHARNAME:

If I really do roleplay her as best as possible (as I try on my current run), I do end up ignoring/skipping most sidequests. This is ok and doable until Cloakwood Mine (for me at least), the encounter there before entering the mine is simply too tough!

I'm now off to gain some exp by doing some sidequests after all, but it slightly irks me to do so.
    Post edited by Dordledum on
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    edited October 2018
    I finally bought EE so I'm currently on my first ever non-vanilla playthrough and doing mostly everything. Basically I skipped cloakwood 3 & 4 and I never rummaged the coastline besides the lighthouse map but other than that but other than that I've done all the quests available and ran around the wilderness in every map, though I did not scout every corner (I know I missed at least one named bandit group somewhere but they don't really have anything). Just did werewolf island and currently in Durlag's.

That said, I usually skip all the TotSC content. I just loathe most of it, to be honest and I'd rather stick to the main game. Werewolf island is kinda OK because I know what I'm getting myself into; a no escape map with some sidequests and a boss that can be nigh unkillable if you didn't prepare beforehand. Prepare beforehand and it's pretty fun, though even then I question the whole things design.

Ice island is kind of fun if it wasn't for all the traps. Fighting different sorts of mages back to back is kinda different. Still, another no escape quest and those damn traps are there so I'd rather pass.

Dealing with traps in BG saga is IMO very clumsy and makes me dislike Durlag's A LOT. If trap detection didn't take several seconds at worst and had better range I'd rate it a lot higher but the myriad of traps in that place just straight out make me stay out of there.

In the base game I do usually skip most of the wilderness maps except a select few that hold valuable magic items or good exp. I sometimes like to remind myself of what some of the other areas contain and visit them, like in this playthrough, but generally I've spent enough time in my playthroughs walking around in the wilds in this game to be perfectly happy not being stuck doing that for hours on end in each of my playthroughs these days :)
    I actually really like the wilderness maps, kinda miss them in 2
    UnderstandMouseMagicDaevelon
  • NecroscopeNecroscope Member Posts: 38
    I find that if you stick to a no reload run, and roleplay as much as you are able with your given protagonist, it really opens up the feeling of agency that you have as well as a sense of danger.

It promotes you building a character that is good early BG1 and work your way into being awesome in BG2 and you worked for it.

I like to try a few NPC combinations throughout the game, which tends to quash their xp gain and make some fights harder as you progress, at least in BG1. I do have to Keeper edit the changes I make to NPCs like Jaheira and Minsc to BG2 though, for a sense of continuity. Minsc likes Axes ok!

I don't play Fighter/Mages as well, limitations breed creativity.

There are many ways to make this game different with each play-through, one of which IS limiting where and what you see.
    Aerakar