Skip to content

Invalid character - Player login refused. You aren't allowed to use that character.

Hi folks,
I can't seem to be able to use ActivatePortal anymore, here's what I did trying to narrow down the problem:
  1. Delete nwnplayer.ini and servervault from the Linux (Ubuntu 18.4LTS) server to get a fresh configuration
  2. Modify AllowLocalChars=0 in nwnplayer.ini
  3. Start 2 fresh modules with just a starting zone with a lever (ActivatePortal(GetLastUsedBy(), "myServer:xxxx", "", "", TRUE);)
  4. Connect to a module, create a character, log in, pull the lever
  5. I get the message "Invalid character - Player login refused. You aren't allowed to use that character."
  6. I then get prompted to chose a character from the server vault
  7. I chose the exact same character which was just refused and log in fine.
AllowLocalChars=1 in nwnplayer.ini works fine, my local character can portal at will between the modules.
Of course, I don't want of local characters in my PW, so what gives?

Cheers

Comments

• JapualtahJapualtah Member Posts: 165
    edited October 2018
    More info on this.

I get different results depending on the address I'm using to changer servers.
    If I'm activating the portal with my local server IP - ActivatePortal(GetLastUsedBy(), "192.168.1.200:xxxx", "", "", TRUE); - after the 'Invalid character - Player login refused. You aren't allowed to use that character.' error message I'm prompted with the character selection screen, can select the very same character I was playing and get transfered fine after that.

The logs also give some details:

Connection Attempt made by Thierry (QRM3DWPV)
    [Mon Oct 15 10:39:39] Thierry (QRM3DWPV) Joined as Player 1
    *** FAULT *** Thierry [192.168.1.201] (QRM3DWPV) has attempted to load an invalid character.
    *** FAULT *** GFF Resource Load Failure in CNWSPlayer::LoadLocalCreature
    *** ValidateGFFResource sent by user.

If I portal with a DNS - ActivatePortal(GetLastUsedBy(), "http://japu.synology.me:xxxx", "", "", TRUE); - I'm not prompted with the character selecting screen anymore and only get this error message ingame:
    Portal failed, server won't accept your character.
    Nothing in the logs.

Edit: no clue if it's relevant, but when creating a character on the server vault, I also get a copy of that character in my local vault, never paid attention to that.
    Post edited by Japualtah on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Please create a report at support.baldursgate.com so that our QA could help you. Thanks in advance!
    Will do, this is quite a strange behaviour since I successfully portal once in 15 tries or so O.o
    I spent quite some time trying to resolve the issue on my own to no avail.

Bug report is here.

I would greatly appreciate some help here, this issue is kind of gamebreaking a few weeks away from my PW opening.

Cheers.
    Julius, is there anything you can do for the devs to have a look at this?
    I updated my one month old bug report for the third time with testing which are final at this point, need to open my PW in a few days, this issue is gamebreaking for me.

Cheers!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Hello, @Japualtah . Turns out we have an internal ticket on it already (but haven't added the mention of it to your ticket). Thanks for all the feedback, tests, and other info.
    Cool, Julius, very glad to hear it!