Skip to content

Demonknight and Aec'Letec

WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183
Were they always this trivial?

Demonknight: open the mirror, wait one round while the clone rips it several new ones, shoot it with magic arrows. The only "difficulty" in this fight is to not let the clone steal your kill and therefore XP.

Aec'Letec: so slow it can literally be kited around the room until it dies. Only real attack is Death Gaze, fully blockable by Potion of Mirrored Eyes... or Magic Resistance... or just by saving vs. Death(at no penalty) The fight can only be in any way difficult for first time players who will be caught off-guard by the Death Gaze and the demon itself respawning through Cultists.

Oh, and did I mention neither sees through invisibilty so they can just be backstabbed and insta-gibbed with a lucky crit? Or that Aec'Letec's melee attacks don't even count as magical weapons, so that you can simply polymorph into a Mustard Jelly and be completely immune to everything he does?

In a way, Demonknight being easy is fine - he's not really the boss of Durlag's Tower, just an invader, and you use a magical doodad to win the fight based on information form a party that was nearly wiped before you. But Aec'Letec being an easier fight than Cultists trying to summon it is just bizarre.

My recommendation: simply making both being able to see through invisibilty would go a long way. In Demonknight's case, at least you would need to risk getting close to uncover the mirror. In Aec'Letec's case, it would make it more difficult to kill all Cultists before the fight. Increase Aec'Letec's movement speed at least to that of a human. Make his melee attacks count as magical and maybe give him a bit of elemental damage so that Stoneskin doesn't make you completely invincible(Demonknight at least can dispel it) Maybe make it aggro when you attack the Cultists.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i think both fights match the difficulty as intended
  • DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 243
    Aec'letec is my next enemy on my current playthough and actually not looking forward to the encounter. Will probably take some cheesing, fireballing guards asap, etc.
  • DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 243
    Well, it took me quite some tries and resources to finally kill him. Needed a few wands of paralysis to get him, but I was only with four 6th lvl characters. Not the optimal party composition.
  • YazOYazO Member Posts: 10
    Dordledum said:

Well, it took me quite some tries and resources to finally kill him. Needed a few wands of paralysis to get him, but I was only with four 6th lvl characters. Not the optimal party composition.

I got him quite easy with Web.

I don't know why, but I got the impression that if he doesn't respawn through cultists he always got held.

Basically(on my first playthrough ever here, btw) I needed three times to win that fight. I don't prebuff, save Stoneskin and so the first time I got wrecked. The second time with minimal prebuff I finished the fight, but with two party members gone forever. I did try web here and it worked, so I thought I will get him, but he did respawn. Couldn't land another web after he did, though.

The third time I went in fully buffed, but without mirror eyes. I killed everything and when he was left alone web got him again, first try, and that was that.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The Demon Knight has always been easy to take down with the mirror.

Aec is actually HARDER than he used to be. In vanilla, he was listed as a level 1 creature for some reason, so cloukill would auto kill him.