Skip to content

We need to know before launch if the new followers are racist

PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
First of all, Neera is the only follower whose page says she is romanceable, but it's apparently common knowledge that all three are. Shame on whoever maintains the website. Shame.

And secondly, we need to know if they accept love in all its forms or if we need to be a member of any particular race to strike their fancy.

Comments

• GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Agreed.
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    Be aware, Neera, I've something long, hard and low to the ground ye're free to touch and fondle.

Child, no need to glare! 'Twas me axe I were referring to.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Brother, I edit writing for a living. I'm doing it right now in another tab. Do not presume to correct me. There is more than one definition to the word. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/need

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited October 2012
    For role-playing purposes, is it plausible that elves would be attracted to Half-Orcs and Dwarves? If not, how is that particularly racist? Why aren't Dwarves attracted to Goblins? Those racists!

My point is that racism is a term that we (humans in the real world) have constructed to mean actions that discriminate based on the racial identity of another person. It's human against human discrimination, so it's not the same thing as a Dwarf hating a Goblin because it's a Goblin (yes, I know I shouldn't be capitalizing collective nouns). Now, if a moon elf hates wood elves, then that would probably be a better example of racism as we know it.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    I think Barry's point was not so much that you had made a mistake or failed to express yourself, but that we don't really need to know this information. I'd rather they didn't divulge all the details about the new NPCs considering that they account for the majority of the new content.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    I'd prefer to find out on my own, so if they don't announce it I won't mind.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @PugPug for you:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Stop trying to start another moral war, can you?
  • ArkynomiconArkynomicon Member Posts: 52
    I'm more interested in where I can pick her up.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    edited October 2012
    Mortianna said:

My point is that racism is a term that we (humans in the real world) have constructed to mean actions that discriminate based on the racial identity of another person. It's human against human discrimination, so it's not the same thing as a Dwarf hating a Goblin because it's a Goblin

kamuizin said:

Stop trying to start another moral war, can you?

I use the word "racist" in a tongue-in-cheek, shorthand-for-a-more-complex-concept sort of way. :p
  • ramagonsramagons Member Posts: 96
    edited October 2012
    Mortianna said:

For role-playing purposes, is it plausible that elves would be attracted to Half-Orcs and Dwarves? If not, how is that particularly racist? Why aren't Dwarves attracted to Goblins? Those racists!

My point is that racism is a term that we (humans in the real world) have constructed to mean actions that discriminate based on the racial identity of another person. It's human against human discrimination, so it's not the same thing as a Dwarf hating a Goblin because it's a Goblin (yes, I know I shouldn't be capitalizing collective nouns). Now, if a moon elf hates wood elves, then that would probably be a better example of racism as we know it.

Dwarves/goblins/elves are all races in the setting, so I think racism might be accurate. I think a moon elf hating wood elves would be demonstrating ethnic hatred, which seems interchangeable with racism.

Either way, I'm lobbying for more racist NPCs. They're already in there, independent of alignment. Both Keldorn and Korgan are racist against dark elves, but from what I remember only Korgan went all Rwanda ear necklace on some of them.

Maybe in baldur's gate 2 ee, there can be an evil sportsman NPC that shoots down Avariel while wearing Wellingtons and a Barbour jacket. When Aerie asks why he would do such a thing, he just looks wistful before unloading both barrels of a shotgun into her quivering, wide-eyed face. Then he plucks her feathers, cleans and guts her before sitting down to tea.
  • DeathMachineMiyagiDeathMachineMiyagi Member Posts: 120
    I do find it annoying that to play a dwarf or halfling or some such short race in BG2 is usually to pursue a romance with Rosy Palm and her five sisters.

Why does Bioware hate short people? Short people need love too.
  • DeathMachineMiyagiDeathMachineMiyagi Member Posts: 120
    Mortianna said:

Why isn't it plausible? We have plenty of short people in our world, too. Do you consider it implausible that someone would find them attractive?

Now, of course, it would suggest a certain taste or an ability to look past appearances. But I don't consder an elf-dwarf romance or a dwarf-half-orc romance to be as wildly out there as you do.

• SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    Here is another discussion on the exact same issue that is less emotionally charged:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/89688/#Comment_89688

I disagree with racial restrictions on romance. Not because it's immoral, but just because it limits options severely without adding anything to the story itself. These racial restrictions are arbitrary, unexplained, and not obvious to the player until multiple playthroughs were completed. Were they true story decisions, that I might support. But it is never explained in these stories why being a male half-orc (or a female gnome, I think) makes one unlovable.
  • WittandWittand Member Posts: 54
    First of all it would not be racism, it is specism because Dwarfs, Elfs, ... are all different species. I know that in the setting, and in games generally, they are called races, but species is the more correct therm.

As far as interspecies go. Human-Elf and Human-Orc are part of the setting and are the only ones who are capable of producing living offspring. But since the ability to breed is hardly a requirement for romance, and all the humanoid species in the setting are so much alike, I really hope that the new romanceables come without species restrictions.
  • Lord_GayLord_Gay Member Posts: 94
    Silence said:

I disagree with racial restrictions on romance. Not because it's immoral, but just because it limits options severely without adding anything to the story itself.

This is how I feel, but in all categories. If I were a dev, I would make all romanceable NPCs open to all races, alignments, ages, and genders. If I'm going to spend many late nights writing code for new game content, I would want as many gamers as possible to be able to experience said content, and thus enjoy the game even more. This is particularly true for CRPGs, where players may want to role-play their characters. Even if I, a dev, can't possibly see how a gnome and half-orc can get on, or a good and evil group can get on, or two men can get on, that doesn't mean that some player can't, and won't be greatly disappointed that I've blocked such an option.

Make as many options as possible to the players, and let THEM decide what they want for their characters.
  • TarquinTarquin Member Posts: 41
    Lord_Gay said:

This is how I feel, but in all categories. If I were a dev, I would make all romanceable NPCs open to all races, alignments, ages, and genders. If I'm going to spend many late nights writing code for new game content, I would want as many gamers as possible to be able to experience said content, and thus enjoy the game even more. This is particularly true for CRPGs, where players may want to role-play their characters. Even if I, a dev, can't possibly see how a gnome and half-orc can get on, or a good and evil group can get on, or two men can get on, that doesn't mean that some player can't, and won't be greatly disappointed that I've blocked such an option.

Make as many options as possible to the players, and let THEM decide what they want for their characters.

I'm not entirely sure if you're being serious or not, but I'll take you at face value. I could not disagree more with your post.

This is very obvious, but in real life, there is a wide spectrum of sexuality and sexual interest. While there are many people who are not solely heterosexual, not everyone is homosexual, bisexual, or pansexual (in fact I would hazard an estimate that a large majority of people are primarily heterosexual). It's poor writing and beyond lazy to make all romanceable characters generically pansexual. You take all the time to develop a backstory and a personality--all things very much unique to specific characters in the game--and then you just make them all sexual omnivores? That's not the way real life works, and I don't think games should be written that way either.

I enjoyed Dragon Age Origins. I had no interest in DA2 for a number of reasons, but one reason was that all romances were open to either gender. I find that completely uninteresting. In DAO the romance options--and the combinations of sexualities--fit with the characters, their backgrounds, and their personalities.
  • ramagonsramagons Member Posts: 96
    Wittand said:

First of all it would not be racism, it is specism because Dwarfs, Elfs, ... are all different species. I know that in the setting, and in games generally, they are called races, but species is the more correct therm.

As far as interspecies go. Human-Elf and Human-Orc are part of the setting and are the only ones who are capable of producing living offspring. But since the ability to breed is hardly a requirement for romance, and all the humanoid species in the setting are so much alike, I really hope that the new romanceables come without species restrictions.

The word is speciesism, and it isn't the right word at all. There are animals in the forgotten realms universe, and if all elves had a pathological hatred of bears, that would be speciesism. If all elves hate orcs, that's racism. It really isn't a gray area. Elves and orcs are races, not species. Humans and orcs can interbreed, as they are only different races and not different species. Try interbreeding with a cat, it won't work because you are members of different species. Please don't try more than the once.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    Um... Wow? How has this discussion evolved into what it is? I'm GUESSING the question was asked so that we could know which races we could play and still enjoy the romance. I'm guessing its no shorties allowed, but I'm hoping that those who play short people can enjoy romances at some point themselves...
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    What seems surprising to me is that a lot of people appear to find it common sense that all races should be romanceable by all other races and that many NPCs should be bisexual, but still frown upon possibilities such as redeeming Dorn into a good-aligned character. Sexual preferences and attraction basis should be malleable while alignment should not?
  • WittandWittand Member Posts: 54
    ramagons said:

Wittand said:

The word is speciesism, and it isn't the right word at all. There are animals in the forgotten realms universe, and if all elves had a pathological hatred of bears, that would be speciesism. If all elves hate orcs, that's racism. It really isn't a gray area. Elves and orcs are races, not species. Humans and orcs can interbreed, as they are only different races and not different species. Try interbreeding with a cat, it won't work because you are members of different species. Please don't try more than the once.
    Tigers and Lions can breed (and female offspring is even fertile), as can donkeys and horses, that does not stop them from being different species.
    Also correct me if I am wrong but human(half-,elf)/halfling, human(half-,elf)/dwarf and human(half-,elf)/gnome can´t breed and those three were the restricted combinations for romances.

Unless there exists a very recent common ancestor they are not different races but different species of sentient humanoids.
    Anyway biological terms are a bit hard to apply in a world with magic.
    As example that the offspring of two half-orcs are all half-orks instead of the 25% pure humans, 25% pure orcs and 50% half-orcs you would actually get if the forgotten realms followed the same biological rules as our world.
    And speciesism is simply a far less inflammatory term than racism so I rather prefer to use it.
  • CyhortCyhort Member Posts: 78
    I'd like to know too. I make my main character based on what I plan to do with them and for me a big part of what I wanna do is romance the bi guy. I don't wanna get ten hours in and then find out that I messed up by choosing the wrong alignment or race or made a bad conversation choice. But I don't really need the devs to announce it. I'll just wait for someone to figure it out and post it on the board. With how fast people breeze through games these days I'll probably know by the time I wake up on release day, lol.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Actually Wittand Humans and Dwarves can make half-dwarves in the forgotten realms

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dwelf

I think the issue with partial patronage/matronage from Halflings, Dwarves or Gnomes is that they'll take after the latter race in almost every form but be generally taller than their brethren.

(Speculating on Halflings and Gnomes since I can't confirm that, but that IS the case with dwarves).
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Shin said:

What seems surprising to me is that a lot of people appear to find it common sense that all races should be romanceable by all other races and that many NPCs should be bisexual, but still frown upon possibilities such as redeeming Dorn into a good-aligned character. Sexual preferences and attraction basis should be malleable while alignment should not?

I think the issue is that the romances are a form of content. People are afraid that they won't be able to experience all of BG:EE's new content unless they pigeon hole themselves into human or half elf based classes.

It's an additional level of restriction that doesn't seem quite necessary, and to be honest I found it frustrating in the original BG2.

I'd rather play what I want to play, without missing extra dialogues right off the bat.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @Brude I see your point, but they still look like principally similar things to me. If I want a reputation of 20 it gets troublesome for me if I also want guys like Edwin (and supposedly Dorn) in my party. There are ways around it, but the main message seems to be that all content isn't completely compatible with all preferences/playstyles.
  • paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    I think it's odd that there's a debate at all here. Some of us would like to know. If you'd rather not know, that's cool, but my race choice will have something to do with Neera's preferences. I don't see what there is to argue about.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    Aerie can romance a male gnome and I‘m guessing have his child. Opening romance options to all races, genders and alignments would not be as weird as it sounds. You are only opening for the PC who is an exceptional individual. A NPC can still hate dwarves but be attracted to a PC because, due to the story, the PC is presented as a hero/anti-hero/villain with a magnetic peraonality capable of ralying a wide spectrum of characters to his/her side.
    Also, a romance could take into account the racial differences or alignment differences and adjust accordingly. A good NPC and an evil PC might only have a fling or an affair while more compatible characters could have a more romantic relarionship... and this was merely an example I thought of on the spot. There are many ways to adjust romances believably.
    And as a side note: this is not something we need/have to/must know. It is something we want to so we can plan our characters. :p
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    haha wow I think this board has a real talent of going off on tangents... To the OP I think people misinterpreted his post which was simply that he would like to know what races the new NPCs will romance. I agree with previous posts that we do not need to know everything about the new NPCs, obviously, but I think it would be annoying to go all the way through a planned playthrough with the intent of experiencing the new content, in this case a new romance, only to later find out that you're not their type. What I'm saying is, I'd like to know, I understand people's objections but I'd like to know if my character will or will not be able to romance this new character.
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    I don't mind race restrictions, actually. I've found it a little annoying in the past that romanceable NPCs will basically fall in love with you if you aren't nasty to them and have the right gender. Real people are more selective than that so why shouldn't NPCs be? And I don't necessarily want to know restrictions in advance, either, or plan my character around them. If my PC tries his/her very hardest to woo someone and they are oblivious or outright reject them, well, that's just another roleplaying perspective.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    PugPug said:

Brother, I edit writing for a living. I'm doing it right now in another tab. Do not presume to correct me. There is more than one definition to the word. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/need

I'm a smart arse in my spare time. There is more than one definition of the word.