Skip to content

How can you use the gullykin's shortcut to firewine ruins?

No matter if I kill the corrupted halfling or not, the shortcut to the ogre magi is barred. What am I supposed to do to have it not barred?

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i remember back in the day if you were wearing a cursed item, then hidden doors would not open (or even appear), do you have the latest version? are you using any cursed items? if you are not up to date or are wearing a cursed item, try removing the item and see if that helps ( remove curse is a level 3 cleric spell, or a level 4 mage spell IF you found it )

do you have a thief in your team? if so you can use the "detect traps" ability and this also helps find hidden doors as well
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    No cursed items.

I've found the door, it just says that it is barred and I can't use it. But I remember to have used in the past.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Are you using SCS? One component blocks that door to force you to use the Firewine map entrance.
    ZaghoulJuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

As has been said, SCS blocks that entrance.

You have to go through the door in the cellar/winestore where the priest is in Gullykin. You don't need to go all the the way to the Firewine Bridge map.
    Yup, I use SCS.

Is there a specific reason on why SCS blocks that entrance? And by the way, what's the component that blocks it?
  • NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 26
    edited October 2018
    Arthas said:

Yup, I use SCS.

Is there a specific reason on why SCS blocks that entrance? And by the way, what's the component that blocks it?

I assume it blocks it to increase the challenge as otherwise you can basically ignore the whole dungeon.
    GoturalThacoBellJuliusBorisov
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I don't use SCS but I assume the idea is that it makes the encounter more challenging. I recently did the encounter soloing with a fighter/thief and if you are able to get in through the backdoor it makes the fight against the Ogre Mage and his various guards much easier.
    Gotural
    edited October 2018
    Found the component too: it's "improved miscellaneous encounters" that touched gullykin

@Permidion_Stark I understand, but to be honest the shortcut is very much needed because firewine ruins are not that well made and charming.
    GoturalThacoBell
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Arthas said:

Found the component too: it's "improved miscellaneous encounters" that touched gullykin

@Permidion_Stark I understand, but to be honest the shortcut is very much needed because firewine ruins are not that well made and charming.

I agree, though since I have been soloing I do find both the Firewine Ruins and the Ulcaster Dungeons much more fun than I used to. When you don't have to worry about navigating a party around the narrow corridors both dungeons become much more enjoyable and they can be a good challenge if you are not too high-level when you hit them.
    GoturalZaghoul
    SCS has a lot of quesitonable decisions in its components IMHO.
    I used to hate firewine but SCS makes it way better for me. Rather than just beinga quick splash and dash, I treat it as the dangerous dungeon it's meant to be, slowly creeping through sweeping for traps, keeping my archers at the front and back and liberal use of the wand of fire when the larger packs of kobolds are discovered.
    The problem with FIrewine isn't that its easy. Its that its design is boring and the game's pathfinding can't handle the super tight corridors.
    semiticgoddess
  • FiddlerFiddler Member Posts: 30
    Agreed, it's the pathfinding that makes the dungeon hard, because your characters don't go where you want them to, and they die. The hallways are too narrow.
    ThacoBell
  • butteredsoulbutteredsoul Member Posts: 168
    The staggered double rows of three party arrangement works nicely in those dungeons.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    bob_vengThacoBell
    I generally give individual orders to each party member while in firewine. Often the party will be staggered across 2 or 3 corridors as my scout group moves forward, with muscle following and then the second scout group at the rear. Generally my thief and best archer at the front and next best archers in the rear. Kivan in particular can one hit commandos pretty reliably.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Arthas said:

Yup, I use SCS.

Yes, apart from making the dungeon a proper challenge.

The halfling runs away and turns up in the BG sewers with the ogre mage who is killing people and saving the bodies
    Loldrup
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308

Heh, try it on a touchscreen where Beamdog doesn't give you the ability to control your party orientation.
    N
    I
    G
    H
    T
    M
    A
    R
    E

oh what a fail. i can't imagine touching this game, or any similar game, without formation orientation

Arthas said:

Yup, I use SCS.

Yes, apart from making the dungeon a proper challenge.

The halfling runs away and turns up in the BG sewers with the ogre mage who is killing people and saving the bodies
    in my install the halfling appeared as you say, in the firewine ruins, only to tell me the exact same dialogue we had right before inside the house....Meh.