Skip to content

Should I dual-class my human Kensai? And if so to what and at what level should I do this?

20884322088432 Member Posts: 229
Q1a.) He is a level 13 now (almost 14) human Kensai and I'm wondering at what level should I dual-class him
Q1b.) What class should I dual-class him into?
Q2.) Also, does the level 21 cap (or whatever it is in BGII EE) mean I can wait to get level 21 Kensai then dual-class and end up getting a level 21 (or whatever the max is) cleric or whatever?

P.S. Thanks for looking at my questions! - 20886432
Gotural

Comments

• QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    2088432 said:

Q1a.) He is a level 13 now (almost 14) human Kensai and I'm wondering at what level should I dual-class him
    Q1b.) What class should I dual-class him into?
    Q2.) Also, does the level 21 cap (or whatever it is in BGII EE) mean I can wait to get level 21 Kensai then dual-class and end up getting a level 21 (or whatever the max is) cleric or whatever?

P.S. Thanks for looking at my questions! - 20886432

Q1a. Whatever you feel like doing.
    Q1b. Whatever you feel like doing. (and have the dual class stat requirement for (17 IIRC)).

Q2 the cap is removed, this isn't classic SoA, the cap is 8 Million. (And would have been 19th fighter at 2.75M in classic SoA). If you wanted to dual class fighter to cleric, the absolute last point you could do it is at level 24 and get L25 Cleric at 3.825M exp, 7.825M total, a small eternity later. Like, possibly beat the game before then.

The rules of dual classing is that the first class goes inactive, until you get Level (Old_class+1) before you regain the abilities of the old.

So if you dual at 2, you need to get 3 in the new. If at 14 fighter, 15. 24 fighter, needs 25 Cleric.

I don't dual-class, I play non-human multi-classes, so I'm not up on "ideal" levels, there's arguments for/against various breakpoints.
    Gotural
  • WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183
    The only "valid" level to dual a Kensai on is 13. Earlier than that and you lose too much of your Fighter class. Later than that and you'll only have a fully functioning character for the final ToB battle... which is hardly the point.

Though the latter depends on your party size. Small parties will get levels faster.
    Gotural
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Level 13 actually suits a kensai better than other sorts of fighters for a melee-oriented character. A standard fighter will start to struggle to hit tougher opponents later in the game. A L13 kensai won't get the automatic hits with a 2 that a single class will, but their innate bonuses still mean they perform reasonably well in combat right through ToB.
    GoturalStummvonBordwehr
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    Level 13 is optimal I would think.

You probably have 17 dex so thief is a good option. A lot of people like to dual them to mage, if you have 17 intelligence it is a fun way to go. Dualed to a cleric it is pretty plain and not a ton of fun even though I love clerics. I can’t imagine that you have the stats to dual to a druid but if you do it can make a solid, enjoyable character. My vote is thief, it makes an awesome character.

You won’t be able to max your second class if you go that high in kensai but you will get an HLA or two. I have done it but it is a pain and not generally worth it, probably the only one I would ever do that again with is assassin>cleric that was a lot of fun to play.
    Gotural
  • 20884322088432 Member Posts: 229

You probably have 17 dex so thief is a good option. A lot of people like to dual them to mage, if you have 17 intelligence it is a fun way to go. Dualed to a cleric it is pretty plain and not a ton of fun even though I love clerics. I can’t imagine that you have the stats to dual to a druid but if you do it can make a solid, enjoyable character. My vote is thief, it makes an awesome character.

You won’t be able to max your second class if you go that high in kensai but you will get an HLA or two. I have done it but it is a pain and not generally worth it, probably the only one I would ever do that again with is assassin>cleric that was a lot of fun to play.

But I've heard cleric/Kensais are really powerfull (btw I have a strength of 18/00, 18 dexterity, 18 constitution, 3 intelligence (I think), 18 wisdom and 12 charisma. (the amount of die rolling was insane.
    Blackraven
  • ArchGhostArchGhost Member Posts: 30
    13 is the best Kensai dual. Dualling a Kensai without their full APR is GIANT WASTE and at lower levels their per-level boni are completely overshadowed by Berserker's gear options + Rage.

It's the only option that actually pragmatically works with Mage though Berserker is *still* better. Kensai 21> Mage is the only dual where Kensai is objectively better for a mage, though that requires solo or a re-import to get that much experience and is kinda of hilariously specialized until it finally regains class.

Can't go wrong with Kensai 13 > Thief. One of the best characters in the game, solo or party. Can get abilities back by the Underdark easily and extremely powerful after HLA. Only thing better is a 24/28 K/T, but that isn't practical, again.
    2088432 said:

But I've heard cleric/Kensais are really powerfull (btw I have a strength of 18/00, 18 dexterity, 18 constitution, 3 intelligence (I think), 18 wisdom and 12 charisma. (the amount of die rolling was insane.
    In a solo setting, they might be. Druid is actually better as it has more offensive magic and Ironskins to go along with barkskin, but there's a huge problem with the exp tables dualling a 13 fighter into a druid...

You don't need the STR buffs or protection/armor spells that cleric adds (other characters or items can all grant this magically with things like Spirit Armor, barkskin, etc). The only thing that K/C really has going is Righteous Magic (basically Kai for longer duration), which is kind of an absurd thing to build around, other than adding utility functions like summoning/healing.

Berserkers are better for Cleric duals too as they give up less in their item restrictions (important without true combat protections and spell protections only at 14!). Stick with Thief on a Kensai, or don't dual it at all. They are insane fighters pure-class.

• WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183
    2088432 said:

But I've heard cleric/Kensais are really powerfull

The two duals widely considered as the strongest are Kensai/Mage(because neither can wear armor) and Berserker/Cleric(because both CAN wear armor)

I have never heard about Kensai/Cleric.
    Blackraven
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • compleCCitycompleCCity Member Posts: 52
    When dualing to cleric/thief with "Use any item", keep in kind that with INT 3 you can't use spell scrolls or wands. (9 needed.)
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    It is a difficult character to play. No ranged at all makes it hard to find a place for her in the party or a purpose, the micromanaging to even make it useful would be tedious. Solo is all about carefully rationing the defense potions and I definitely would not go to level 21 kensai, it doesn’t add enough to make up for the spells you will be giving up. I never finished the game with a kensai>cleric though it probably can be done, I just didn’t like the character at all.