Skip to content

[Request] Bypass AD&D Character Creation limitations?

sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
edited September 2012 in General Modding
I'm sure there's a mod out there that does this, but has anyone ever made a mod that just simply bypasses all character creation limitation, ie: race/class restrictions?

I'd love to roll a fighter/illusionist/thief Gnome or a dwarven paladin. I honestly couldn't care less if it's not kosher in AD&D rules and "ruins game balance." I would just like a simpler option than having to hack my guys to do that.
Alkalurops

Comments

• KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    We can't, the restriction race/class is hardcoded... Perhaps the required file will be externalized with BGEE.
  • DukeOfSuffolkDukeOfSuffolk Member Posts: 22
    Icewind Dale 2 (and maybe 1) has some good ones that you can skirt a lot of rules by cheating, but I think the rules weren't hardcoded, as @Kerozevok states.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Maybe this should get moved into features then. @AndreaColumbo can confirm if this is being worked on or not?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I think there's a feature request for this already.
    sandmanCCL
    I was looking and didn't notice one. That's cool.

I really hope it gets implemented.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Actually ToBEx (http://www.spellholdstudios.net/ie/tobex) has an option to remove race/class restrictions, as well as an option to let non-humans dual class.
    sandmanCCL
  • PraepoitusPraepoitus Member Posts: 8
    I'd love to see a Sorcerer multiclass with Thief and/or Warrior mod in that mix :)
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Some classes are still hardcoded as non-dual/multi capable, like sorcerer, monk and paladin. Generally attempting to bypass this will cause crashes, but I believe a request for this to be altered was added in the externalization thread.
    IchigoRXC
  • DrEastDrEast Member Posts: 113

I'm sure there's a mod out there that does this, but has anyone ever made a mod that just simply bypasses all character creation limitation, ie: race/class restrictions?

I'd love to roll a fighter/illusionist/thief Gnome or a dwarven paladin. I honestly couldn't care less if it's not kosher in AD&D rules and "ruins game balance." I would just like a simpler option than having to hack my guys to do that.

The examples you list can actually be implemented (with a tiny bit of work) through Shadowkeeper. Once you have the character, the game will let you play on through, including exporting to BG2... and note that BG:EE characters can be exported to BG2 as it stands, even without BG2:EE out.
    @DrEast: I'm aware, but that's still using third party software to alter it, rather than it being something implemented in game.
  • MansenMansen Member Posts: 82
    I'll add my support to this - even if it isn't ruleset "kosher" (or vanilla rather), I'd still like to have the freedom to mix race and classes as is possible in the never rulesets wherever it doesn't cause any crashes. Bonus points if we can get beamdog official support on this as a toggle.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    Yuk, ARAC is the worst 3rd Edition "Feature".
  • ThunderThunder Member Posts: 157
    edited December 2012
    Was this ever un-hardcoded?
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001

Yuk, ARAC is the worst 3rd Edition "Feature".

It maybe something you dislike, but as an optional you can't deny it would bring those that want it not only a lot of joy, but a huge new level of replayability :)
  • PorcelynPorcelyn Member Posts: 65
    DrEast said:

The examples you list can actually be implemented (with a tiny bit of work) through Shadowkeeper. Once you have the character, the game will let you play on through, including exporting to BG2... and note that BG:EE characters can be exported to BG2 as it stands, even without BG2:EE out.
    Can you explain how to use shadow keeper to do this? I really miss my Nature Cleric from nwn.
    @Porcelyn: You can't use Shadowkeeper to create a new class. You can just use it to bypass limitations.

As an example, I created a dwarf fighter once upon a time and gave him the stats I wanted him to have as a wizard. I then went into Shadowkeeper, which allowed me to change him into a Mage (I kitted him to be a Transmuter, because as awful as that kit is, I felt it was justified on a dwarf mage), and also reset his HP and thac0 to that of an equivalent level mage.
  • PorcelynPorcelyn Member Posts: 65
    What I want to do is give a cleric the use of a bow. Is that possible with shadowkeeper?
    Yes, though that's somewhat involved. Only way I know of to do it is to find out whatever the trait code for thief "Use All Items" is, and then assign it to your guy. You'd also have to hack in proficiency points with bows because the game still won't allow you to assign it upon leveling up, but that's pretty easy to do.