Skip to content

The D&D experience

I hope this is the right place to post. I have never played dungeons and dragons tabletop, I’m from the netherlands and dont know any people playing it. Is it Easy to organize such a session in NWN and if there are active players. Where would be the place to look? Or Should I look intro persistent worlds (such as Arelith)?

Comments

• ArtosArtos Member Posts: 16
    There used to be a thing called Neverwinter Connections which is/was a hub for meeting and organizing NWN games that are more "tabletop" oriented (small group, fixed time of gaming). I see that they have a Facebook group now, but it didn't seem overly active.

The nice thing about Arelith is they likely wouldn't mind if you make a post there and see if other players are interested in session-based gaming. The other nice thing about Arelith is that you could just dive in and meet people who play there, and then arrange times to meet up with the same folks within Arelith.

Thinking back on it, it really would be awesome to have Neverwinter Connections actively back again. It was a fun service back in the day that promoted the easy small-scale/hobbyist stuff that NWN is really really good at.
  • 24jel24jel Member Posts: 71
    That does sound nice. For now it seems persistent worlds is something I could try. Does Arelith have a special forum? And in game, I can just approach people I guess? (never played MMO's or much multiplayer in general).
  • ArtosArtos Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2018
    They've got a very active forum and community of people from around the world (good for timezone issues!) You can view the forums at www.arelith.com, though I do believe that if you want to post in the forums, you have to actually set up your forum account in-game.

It's a pretty solid community that will help you along, and there's an extensive wiki that will answer lots of technical questions about all the custom systems (there's lots).

The server owner there is very pro-NWN community, so I bet even if you don't like playing there, he wouldn't mind you arranging private games with some of the players via forums/messaging.

As far as in-game approaching people to chat, it's a very friendly place and you can do that. Just BE SURE to chat by sending a private "tell", which is done by clicking on the player's portrait. This is important because Arelith is a place that is strictly role-played, and being in-character is expected at all times. The "tell" channel is private, and so won't ruin the atmosphere.

*EDIT* I just can't help myself here, but I just got caught by the last bit of your post when you said you haven't played multiplayer NWN. This is really where the game shines, and it's an entirely different thing than single-player. I remember when I first clicked on "Multiplayer" like 15 years ago or whatever, and it blew my mind wide open. It's good time D&D, I hope you enjoy!
  • 24jel24jel Member Posts: 71
    Thanks Artos for your answers.I'll try multiplayer, especially because of your last comment. Almost finished with the OC and that isn't really my thing, so I'll dive into Arelith. Thanks for your tips.
  • GM_ODAGM_ODA Member Posts: 177
    If you are interested in a very tabletop like experience, you may want to look at this server; there are unique systems here that bring NWN very close to tabletop.

http://argentumregio.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page?&cb=8705
  • numosnumos Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2018
    If you want more of a D&D-style campaign, Andrune is going to have regularly scheduled DMed events with a heavy story focus. We will be running our first session this Saturday (11/3) at 3pm EST. I expect that should be around 9pm or 10pm your time?

Our Neverwinter Vault page: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/gameworld/andrune
    NWN Server Address: 206.189.229.185:5122
    Forum: http://andrune.boards.net/
    Discord: http://discord.gg/7etgAen

Session information:

For the launch of the server we will be holding an event on Saturday, November 3rd, at 3 pm EST. All are welcome. You can visit our forums or discord if you need advice on making a character.

A ragtag band of explorers, fortune-seekers, and fugitives have found themselves in the riverside village of Bodkin. The Rowley family and their allies have been offering wealth and parsels of land to anyone willing to brave the ocean voyage. The village has turned out to be a miserable backwater, and its rulers dwell in a crumbling hall. You've spent some days doing odd jobs and wallowing in drink, when suddenly Redbranch Hall has put the word out for fighting men and women. It seems they want you to recover a wedding present to a former ally... an old tapestry.
  • Cep or Haks required? Can click connect and play without Cep, Haks?