Skip to content

Is it possible to reload a module assets?

At the moment, to test a model, I each time close the editor, drag the .mdl and .tga files into the override folder, restart the editor and launch the game.
I have a beefy computer, but nonetheless, is it (would it be?) possible to reload the assets (this is also true for 2DA files btw) any other way than closing the editor?

Comments

• CiretoseCiretose Member Posts: 7
    you could just reload the mod, couldn't you?
  • JapualtahJapualtah Member Posts: 165
    Reloading the mod or closing the editor is the same clunky way of testing things, I was more thinking about maybe a DM command.
    The current way is so frustrating especially when it comes to testing emitters (which could be made easier to create, whatever).
    No big deal, quality of life mostly.
  • dunahandunahan Member Posts: 139
    If you start your module in the server, you could check 'reload module when empty'. Normally this should reload everything. You even don't have to close NWNMain.
    Japualtah
    Neat idea, I'm so used to only using the Linux server that I never thought about testing with the windows one, but how would you have 'reload when empty' kick in without closing NWNMain?
    Don't know much about linux version, but on windows, there is a option, that reloads the server, when the last player / dm leaves. If the ini - files are working with the linux version, then it should be possible there too.

Look in nwnplayer.ini at
    [Server Options]
    Reload Module When Empty=1

I use that often, too test things that don't work on single player.
    It works, thanx, I just have to start NWNMain again, which is less painful than having to restart the editor or reload the module on top of it.
    Not yet the perfect solution but it can save time, so it's ok.
    dunahan
    edited October 2018
    Hm, this shouldn't be needed.... If you use server and client on one machine, or on another in the same local network, you can connect by LAN within the running client and reloading the server without closing the client.
    Sometimes its not good to run client and server on one machine, but for testing that should be a problem.

Another option is, load the module in the toolset, do your changes in override and then again in the toolset, hit F9. That loads the module within the client. But you must close the client after the testing.

But if it now works for you, why not.
    I still don't see how you can reload the server without closing the client mate. If you leave the server, well, your client closes, doesn't it?
    That intrigues me I must say :)
    edited October 2018
    Ok, now I see, I run EE and I can't go back to the main menu, the game closes, that's the difference :)
    dunahan
    Ah okay, then there's the difference. I look at this later. Eventually there is a way like in 1.69.
    edited November 2018
    Last night I did a test with NWN:EE and it worked quite well. As in 1.69 I was able to start nwserver with a module (tested with OC-Prologue) and before loading it, I checked 'restart when empty' (made sure local characters are useable).
    Then I started nwmain and logged in by LAN. Logged off without closing it.
    Okay, I'm running that on Windows, so I don't know if that's similar to Linux or Mac.