Skip to content

What type of treasure generation should I use?

What type treasure generation should I use?

I currently use a system that generates items out of specified chest. Seems to work fine and is easy to work with. I just don't know if this is slow relative to using either:

1. Create item using resref from a 2da file.
2. Create item using resref from a large script using select case to filter.

Both of these take a lot of work. Is it worth it?

Thanx for your reading.

Comments

• FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    I don't think you'll have a problem with either method you end up using, the game is quite fast.

As I understand it as someone without much knowledge is that you usually have to balance size complexity with speed complexity. External reading would also presumably slow down your script but reduces the amount of data that needs to be stored in the script.

If you just want something simple you could have a simple generation system that rolls some percentile dice. Then generates the item based on the tag or resref. You could have "t_p_312" where "t" would be for treasure, "p" would be for potion, and "312" would be the item identifier within the category. You could replace the letters with just numbers too, simplifying it so you don't need to convert. Either way you can roll a random number for the category and a random number for the identifier. Multiple dice will let you distribute the likelihood of outcomes on a bell curve.

The complexity in that would be reduced in the script but it would increase the module size complexity depending on how many item blueprints you create to work with it. That's my unprofessional estimate at least.
  • DJ_WoWDJ_WoW Member Posts: 48
    Gooday to ya,

Wanted to thank you for your input, gives me something to work with if I go that way.

Thank you for your time,

DJ_WoW