Skip to content

[Linux] Shortcut to launch nwmain_linux?

Hi guys,
I'd like to directly launch the game:
#!/bin/bash

cd /home/thierry/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/'Neverwinter Nights'/bin/linux-x86
./nwmain-linux -dmc +connect 192.168.1.200:5123 
I got some sound errors, so I installed the missing libraries
sudo apt-get install libxxf86vm1:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 libopenal1:i386 libssl1.0.0:i386
sudo apt-get install libasound2-plugins:i386
I don't get any error anymore, the sound is fine, but the pointer is offset to the bottom by 20 pixels or so with a weird pointer which makes selecting things a problem.

Any clue as why this is happening?

All is fine using Steam though, but Steam doesn't accept (as far as I could find) different shortcuts with different parameters, they all have to be set from the steam options, which means only one set of parameters.

Cheers.

Comments

• nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    Hi,

are you running in windowed mode, or fullscreen?

Does switching screen mode (out and in of fullscreen) resizing the window fix the pointer misalignment?
    JuliusBorisov
  • JapualtahJapualtah Member Posts: 165
    edited November 2018
    Here is a picture captured with my phone (the game screenshots don't capture the mouse pointer) you will see how far off the pointer is from the crossbow while still being able to select it, and how weird that pointer looks.

http://japu.synology.me/public_files/linux_display

I hit alt-Enter to exit/enter fullscreen, there's no parameter I know of ingame to do it but either way it doesn't fix the problem.

Also note alt-F4 only works in windowed mode, not fullscreen.
    Also, it's a fresh Mint 19 installation too, no fancy stuff installed.
    Post edited by Japualtah on
    edited November 2018
    Fixed the bad url in reply.
    Post edited by Japualtah on
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Is this a recent install or an older one? Is this at 2x scaling?
    Check your nwn.ini for a setting like "Enable HW Mouse=0" and change it to 1. If it's already 1, try changing it to 0 and see if it does something.
    Japualtah
    Enable HardwareMouse=0 fixed it, it was set to 1, and with

Height=1080
    Width=1920
    TexturePack=3
    UseLargeFont=1
    glFinishBeforeFBO=0
    FullScreen=0
    FullScreenDesktopMode=1
    Borderless=1
    everything works flawlessly (for some reason height was set to 1050).

Thanks a lot mate, now I only have to find out how to use the toolset on Linux, which doesn't seem to be for the faint of heart!
    Glad to hear it was the HW mouse. That would have been my next guess.

You can run the toolset via wine (just grab it from your package manager). It should run fine, but it's not officially supported.
    I'm trying Niv, I'm freaking trying, but I only get this so far.

I'm started to wonder whether it was a good idea to try and switch to Linux at 57 old after being spoiled by the Mac since 1984!
    But I'm trying, learning a bit every day, I'll get there eventually :D
    Ouch, that looks painful. What GPU are you on?

I'm on Mac, and I couldn't imagine switching to a Linux Desktop despite working with the system for 15-20 years on servers.
    Japualtah
    Geez, now you're nuking the little confidence I had :'(

I still run a 960GTX, I was waiting for the new NVidia cards but seeing the prices on the 2080RTX I think I'll be waiting some more.

I managed to get (somewhat) better fonts on the toolset with PlayOnLinux following that guide, but still haven't got openGL to work.

But yeah, probably not worth the trouble, I wanted to ditch Windows because I've been having a nasty bug which prevents applications to link to file extensions correctly, which is a major pain when you have to open as many files as I have developing 3D assets, but Microsoft finaly acknowledged the problem and intend on fixing it by late november, so I'd probably be better off staying away from Linux.

Oh well :)
    Ah, sorry for dampening your enthusiasm. I didn't mean to rant on Linux :) I return to running a Linux desktop every so often, but so far I'm happy on Mac as far as that is concerned. Linux is very important to the world, obviously, and I wouldn't ever dream of running anything else on a server these days.

The issue here is I can't really help with running it on Linux + wine. Maybe trying a newer/different wine version? Hmm.
    Japualtah