Skip to content

Help with Baeloth in Black Pits

I cannot touch this guy in the last battle. I can kill his two cronies eventually (although I lose half my party while Baeloth repeatedly fireballs/ices the area). If I just focus on Baeloth from the start my weapons don't seem to do anything. The only time he was even damaged was when he cast cloudkill on himself. I try to silence him but he seems to insta cast confusion/rigid thinking/some horrible thing on my cleric every time.

Nothing I have can get past his magical defenses. My party is pretty much all melee (2 berserkers, barb, swash, kensai), with the exception of a cleric. I didn't take a mage since I thought I would dual class a zerker, but didn't realise the Black Pits was so short.

I'm out of gold and patience! I'm tempted to just restart with mages galore. Any tips would be appreciated.

Comments

• MurrayConfederacyMurrayConfederacy Member Posts: 188
    edited December 2012
    mate, spoilers. Please use the ["spoiler"] tag and make sure you don't put spoilers in the title. Consult the stickies post in this category for more info on how to do that.

If possible (I haven't been up to this point btw) go back and do tier fights again and get more levels, I am pretty sure the level cap is a lot higher in Black pits so get your characters as high as possible before fighting baeloth.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    It's a bad idea not to have any casters. Even if you're adamant about melee take at leat an Inquisitor to dispel Mages protection.
    Being a Drow he has high Magic Resistance, so the only way to get rid of his Stoneskins and Mirror Images is either to Dispel or Breach them.
  • AzraelAzrael Member Posts: 25
    Here is how i did it.

So basicly what you want is a group of people all at level 10, you want to get rid of the duerger first because eventually bealoth and the rakasha dont have any spells left. I would advise to take a fighter class and give him the fireprotection rings, and the cloak which reflects lightning.
    After killing the duerger get the rakasha, you cant wound him with bow and arrow atleast i wasent able to, and normal weapons dont work either, so atleast +1 weapons are what you want.
    since you dont have a mage, boost you defenses from the cleric bless maybe chant. Another importnant thing is a cloak(?) which can spell "bigger haste(?) - the better haste version -" onto you, i think it also gives invisibility 3 times a day, do that (haste) on one of your party members and he goes haywire.
    I guess now you can only try often, i had a mage to reduce his magic resistance and breach all of his protection spells.

I guess you should farm to level 10 all party members anfd maybe get some potions, I'm myself not a big potion fan but the healing potions are a big help, don't know about the other stuff.

What happens in the Bealoth fight
    3 guys duerger, rakasha, baeloth, kill both companions he will eventually summon the beholder kill that think very fast he appers in the very north of the arena infront of a gate, after that bealoth will summon 2 ogrillions from time to time, you don't have to drag it so long, when i finally managed to kill him he never summoned the ogrillions
  • gustonguston Member Posts: 70
    ....I just gave my archer boots of speed and arrows of detonation. Killed everyone in seconds.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    edited December 2012
    [spoiler]
    dunno if this is common knowledge but you can buff your characters prior to entering the arena. also, if in your last fight you summoned undead, those undead will stay there upon your next fight (assuming you don't rest.) I think the maximum of summons is 5 monsters. what's cool is that after each fight you auto rest and re-learn all your spells (with the exception of any new spell slots you attain when gaining a level, those remain empty) speaking of animate dead, does anyone only ever summon ghasts now? not that i'm not complaining or anything, but all i ever get are the wonderful paralyzing ghasts =) sorry if these tactics sound a little cheap, but they get the job done.
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    I went in with a Cleric/Ranger, Kensai, Kensai/Thief, Kensai/Thief, Avenger and a Cleric.

The Kensai/Thieves were rubbish due to the fact i didn't bother taking any potions of invisibility so they couldn't backstab (i could never HIS in the Pits).

I just sent the Gemini Twins (my Kensai/Thieves) after the dwarf, a fight that actually ended fairly quickly.

The pure Kensai and the Avenger went after the bloody Rakasha and spent what felt like years whittling him down to "Barely Injured".

The Cleric chucked out a few summons and didn't really do much.

The Cleric/Ranger threw out summons, then went to work on Baeloth with her hammers. He was probably the easiest of the three to beat.

I really struggled with the Rakasha in this fight, i'm not sure if all the weapons are using their enchantments correctly, i had one attempt where i decided to reload because it just didn't seem like i could damage him. I had a full party of six wailing on him with +2 weapons (blunt and slashing) and he never displayed any damage taken.
  • The_CheesemanThe_Cheeseman Member Posts: 175
    I just finished a solo run on Insane with a Cleric/Mage, and Baeloth was a pretty tough fight. I started by loading a sequencer with Webx2, and then pre-buffed with Stoneskin, Protection From Evil, Shield, Holy Power, and Righteous Might. As soon as the battle began, I used my sequencer and both Baeloth and the Duregar got held in the Webs, keeping them out of the fight for the next few rounds. I then tossed Melf's Minute Meteors at the Rakshasa until he died (took about 30 meteors, so prepare a few copies of it). I had to recast Holy Power before the kitty went down. After that, I tossed a couple of Stinking Clouds on Baeloth and summoned 5 ghasts via Animate Dead. After dropping Baeloth's protections via Spell Thrust, Secret Word, and Breach, the ghasts slaughtered him. I don't remember exactly what I did to kill the Duregar afterward, he was basically effortless.
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    edited December 2012
    yeah arrows of detonation work WONDERS. I had a great archer in my party. I also had two mages to dispel him so that my kensai could go to work.. He dropped just shortly after the Duregar (He was a joke). The Rakasha was the one i had problems with.. make sure to have some nice +2 weapons
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Sounds to me like your cleric is going to be vital for that battle. His level 3 spells should be loaded with dispel magic. Keep chucking it at Baeloth til it works.

Also, you should probably load up on some protection from fire spells. If he just lobs fireballs, that 80% resistance is huge.
  • abbadabaabbadaba Member Posts: 21
    I fought baeloth at like level 7. Kind of blundered my way through it and reloaded many times. At first I tried to just breach and focus fire him, but his cronies cause too many problems if they are left completely unchecked. He often fires a fireball first thing so often my initial order was to split my party up, then went after his cronies, then breached and focused him. Eventually I got lucky.
  • cbarchukcbarchuk Member Posts: 322
    edited December 2012
    amftron said:

I went in with a Cleric/Ranger, Kensai, Kensai/Thief, Kensai/Thief, Avenger and a Cleric.

The Kensai/Thieves were rubbish due to the fact i didn't bother taking any potions of invisibility so they couldn't backstab (i could never HIS in the Pits).

I just sent the Gemini Twins (my Kensai/Thieves) after the dwarf, a fight that actually ended fairly quickly.

The pure Kensai and the Avenger went after the bloody Rakasha and spent what felt like years whittling him down to "Barely Injured".

The Cleric chucked out a few summons and didn't really do much.

The Cleric/Ranger threw out summons, then went to work on Baeloth with her hammers. He was probably the easiest of the three to beat.

I really struggled with the Rakasha in this fight, i'm not sure if all the weapons are using their enchantments correctly, i had one attempt where i decided to reload because it just didn't seem like i could damage him. I had a full party of six wailing on him with +2 weapons (blunt and slashing) and he never displayed any damage taken.

You can HiS. Right after Baeloth stops talking, immediately hit the pause button. You basically have about a second before your opponents spawn. Hit your stealth button and wallah!
  • RuscoeRuscoe Member Posts: 126
    I used potions of magic protection, breach, spell thrust and made quick work of him and his cronies...is that cheating?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Ruscoe
    No cheating, but it was an amazing feat oooooof

THREADCROMANCY!!!!!!!!!
  • HuppsterHuppster Member Posts: 1
    Greater Malison + Horror the minions. Cast remove magic, breach etc etc on Baeloth. You won’t be able to beat this fight without mages.