Skip to content

Movement

As someone mentioned in the announcement thread, the joystick movement doesn't work well at all. I guess some people might like it, but I've played a while now already and I can tell you that I would be happier without anything at all. Tapping the ground to move and objects to interact works much better and is much more intuitive.

Please add an option to disable it, plus remove the new interaction button that takes precious UI space.

Comments

• DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 243
    Intruiged, and eager to get home to try this. I'm not sure what to expect fromt his joystick function, but I'm hoping that using a mouse (on chromebook) will still work like in the original PC version.
  • wouldntsavezionwouldntsavezion Member Posts: 11
    edited November 2018
    Since I can tap to move and interact with stuff exactly the same way as on PC, I expect you to be able to.
  • SeerSeer Member Posts: 6
    I don't mind the joystick at all and its easy enough to tap for movement as well. In some cases I prefer the joystick, but having an option to remove it would be neat for you folks.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    edited November 2018
    I certainly support the proposal for a no-joystick option (and no "interact" button).

Overall, I'm very impressed with how the interface has been translated for stylus/finger.

However, as far as I can see, swiping the screen has a random result from the following list:
    • Nothing happens
    • Camera turns
    • Joystick is enabled

Am I missing something? Is there any information on how to use the joystick? It's very annoying when the joystick moves the player (with potentially fatal consequences) when trying to move the camera.

Also, is it possible to change the camera pitch? In Windows, holding the mouse wheel while moving the mouse allows both pitch and direction to be changed smoothly. Any equivalent in the Android version?

While we're on the subject, is there any way to enable WASD?
  • JaegerBearJaegerBear Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone else find that rotating the camera sometimes brings the joystick up instead? Or am I doing something wrong?
    The way it appears to be set up is that the joystick uses the left part of the screen and the camera the other.
    This is also a reason why i'd prefer to disable it, sometimes, when there's enemies in the right part of the screen for example, I want to control the camera with my left thumb, and tap on then using my right.

At the moment I need to do both with my right thumb while the other hand stays completely uninvolved.
  • MrSpudMrSpud Member Posts: 6
    My issue is with left/right camera movement.. it's backward! I mean many other games I play have the controls flip the other way so it's hard to adjust. I would love to see an option to reverse the x axis
  • ShaidenShaiden Member Posts: 181
    Howdy!

This is all really good feedback, we really appreciate you all giving your thoughts on this matter!

To clarify, the joystick will effectively appear anywhere on the left half of the monitor if clicked into the game world (I.E. it is overridden by other windows). The right half the screen is all camera controls (Once again, unless overrided by other windows).

In regards to camera pitch, what sort of controls could you envision using? At the moment, we're aiming for a streamline camera control via the vertical "pinch / expand" controls. This was for a few technical reasons, but also to make it easier for users to get a more useful camera angle.
    I personally think the camera is very fine, or would be if the joystick could be disabled so the controls would be consistent across the screen. There is still the 3 follow modes to choose from in the options.
    Who knew about the left / right screen thing? Worth mentioning in the tutorial!

Also, how is the joystick supposed to work?
  • ShaidenShaiden Member Posts: 181
    I've already pushed that feedback up after seeing this thread ;) Thanks though! I'm hoping we can get it a bit more explained in the future.

I personally can't go into the details, as I didn't implement the system, but effectively the joystick determines a "center" of the joystick based on where your finger / thumb lands. If the thumb moves before the timer triggers to raise the "right click" context menu, then it converts to a joystick. The point that a joystick can be created can only exist on the left half of the screen.

Once the joystick is up, the origin point on the screen you were pressing on is now the neutral or "no motion" point of the joystick, with standard joystick controls circling around as normal.

Were those the details you were looking for? Or something more specific?
  • capricorn1971adcapricorn1971ad Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2018
    Shaiden said:

I've already pushed that feedback up after seeing this thread ;) Thanks though! I'm hoping we can get it a bit more explained in the future.

I personally can't go into the details, as I didn't implement the system, but effectively the joystick determines a "center" of the joystick based on where your finger / thumb lands. If the thumb moves before the timer triggers to raise the "right click" context menu, then it converts to a joystick. The point that a joystick can be created can only exist on the left half of the screen.

Once the joystick is up, the origin point on the screen you were pressing on is now the neutral or "no motion" point of the joystick, with standard joystick controls circling around as normal.

Were those the details you were looking for? Or something more specific?

this is all stuff i talked about the other day how to fix it, but do be aware of what i mentioned about the right click and its usefulness (how it messes up), i can give you scores of android game links in the playstore to show you it generally works that way. (unfortunatly)

when i touched the joystick to move i literally shot across the screen and not in the direction i wanted to go.

you know what we really need rather than neverwinter nights for android though?
    a redone dungeonhack, using full procedural generation (it ran off of random generation previously as well) and real graphics, a dungeohack as sharp of a "enhanced edition" as shadowgate is (i hope you looked at that, you will love it if you do).

THAT i would be willing to buy on day 1.

the original was 23 MB?!?!

think you could do it in under 250 MB? (would be easy) (completely redone in Kotlin or java and converted to kotlin, meaning using NO original assets, all new..

mobile games should be small, most tablets aren't the best in size and power (i am fortunate to have a tab a 8", and that wasn't enough really for NWN EE.

procedurally generated games are growing in numbers, most forget Dungeonhack was a grandfather in that sphere of gaming, we want Dungeonhack. (single player with 1 character and multiplayer with party capabilities).

digging our own graves deeper and deeper as we delve, he who dies deepest wins..

yes I love Rouge. Many do and don't know it, show em why.. they may have missed dungeonhack..

but you would have to change the interface, do away with the EOB interface and put the BG/IWD interface in its place.

would probably take you no more than 3 weeks to do from start to finish, quick easy money, could even price it at a reasonable rate as it isn't alot of work (2.99 or so, possibly more depending on the artwork and all).
    @capricorn1971ad you couldn't possibly be more off topic.
  • JevanJevan Member Posts: 15
    The joystick doesnt work at all for me. Galaxy Tab s2

Btw, tapping works fine but rotating the camera is hit and miss.
    Might be nice to have an invisible strip somewhere to do it.
  • JevanJevan Member Posts: 15
    Ok, after reading through I see how this Works. Joystick is kinda hit and miss. Works then wont show up. Now that i got the left side, right side part im able to rotate more easily.

Thanks guys
    OK I think I understand the joystick now, but can't see the point of it.

Still hoping for an option to disable it, as it's just an accident waiting to happen (at least in the hands of an old duffer like me).
  • SeerSeer Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2018
    Joystick works for me 100% of the time on a Samsung s9. The only time I have issues with it is when I'm passing through doors or tight spaces. I suspect its a hitbox thing that interrupts the pathmaking or something. Using the joystick in conjunction with pressing to move works fine. I also think the bottom right interact button is fine. Makes it easier to pickup loot and target hostile npc's, especially when you are roflstomping in Drider form ;)
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    Samung Tab S and the stick just doesn't register input.
    If the left-hand side were not used for the joystick, it could be used to swipe up and down for the camera pitch. Obviously, that should be optional, on a toggle.

When a lot is happening in an area, it can be very hard to see unless you can change the camera pitch independent of the camera angle.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Make sure your bug reports and feature requests are reported on our Support Desk.
    Good advice - I've been logging bugs there, but will add feature requests, too.