Skip to content

Sick BG, BG2, or IWD Equipment Setups

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Was playing the first IWD and noticed a sick equipment setup for a Fighter. Was wondering if anyone else had a recommended setup for a certain class/character from BG, BG2, or IWD. Here's the one I was talking about for IWD:

First -- You need to be a Non-Good alignment. Now that can mean Lawful Neutral if you're still wanting to play a good party.

Second -- You need a Natural 18/00 Strength on your Fighter. Not too hard to roll if you work at it.

Third -- Need a 1-Handed Weapon to Focus On. I recommend Great Swords, and utilizing Bastard Swords because they are still one handed and have excellent damage output (not to mention there are some awesome ones in game).

Equip the following items:

Ring of Dwarven Bone (+1 Strength - Only Usable by Non-Good Alignments)
Large Shield of Strength (+1 Large Shield that also Grants +1 Strength)

Icewind Dale's mechanics increases Strength in percentile increments. If you have an 18/91 for example, and equip a +1 Strength item like one of those above, it takes you to 18/00. So by starting with 18/00, +1 will take you to 19, and the next +1 will take you to 20.

What do you end up with?

A Fighter with Grand Mastery in Great Swords and a 20 Strength. Additionally, he's still using a Shield so your armor class does not suffer from using a two-handed weapon. Give him the Bastard Sword: +3 Defender to accentuate your Armor Class even more. What a beast.

Comments

• bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    For bg2, i like the setup of:

staff of magi, robe of vecna, power amulet, boot of speed, ring of gaax, belt of inertial barrier
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    iwd1 equip is random so first thing which is needed is DaleKeeper, to ensure proper drops. :D
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    Crom Faeyr in the offhand, anything in the main hand. You don't need proficiency in hammers, or even two-handed fighting. Just slash, club, whatever to death with your new 25 STR.
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    Archer kit with 19 dex (from machine of Lum, 20 dex possible if you imported from BG1 and used the dexterity tome), Studded Leather of Thorns +6, Taralash +5, Boots of speed, Montolios cloak, amulet of Cheetah speed, neverending arrows +2 (Case of Plenty +2), and a good supply of all other arrows.

This guy is moving faster than hasted, having a thac0 that is just like the one of a low level fighter (but with a "-"). Use of improved whirlwind attack possible, but not needed. Aimed shot ability improves thac0 even further, but what for?
    If someone ever manages to catch up with that guy, he can switch to dual wielding, Hindo's Doom +4 and Yamato +4 for example. This is only theory though, no one ever catches up with him.

If one could use arrows of spell breaking in ToB, that would be the most overpowered bastard ever, killing Amellysan in no time!
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Cyberhawk

I believe you're actually capable of getting up to 21 dex if you use an elf or halfling. However, I see to remember one of the Hell trials makes you give up a point or two of dex in response =(

@Cyberhawk

I believe you're actually capable of getting up to 21 dex if you use an elf or halfling. However, I see to remember one of the Hell trials makes you give up a point or two of dex in response =(

One of the trials in hell will cost you a point of constitution and the demon in front of Candlekeep can be given a point of wisdom, so it's no big loss. So yeah, it would probably be possible to get up to 21 dexterity. I don't quite remember if I've done it or if I went with a simple human.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @Cyberhawk If you go elf you get a further +1 with bows in addition to the already great 19 dex.
    Corvino said:

@Cyberhawk If you go elf you get a further +1 with bows in addition to the already great 19 dex.

Seems like I didn't maximize the concept after all. The character was sickly powerful though, that playthrough was the only time I managed to kill Amelyssan without cheats. And even then I had to use a lot of spell scrolls to presume the stuff my mages and clerics had memorized and unloaded the memorized spells only when she appeared for the last time.
  • AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    Reading the OP makes me want the full IWD 1/2 Item base in my BG 1/2 playthroughs, so many simple low end items that were just so much fun, BG 1/2 falls to much into, you use X item in each slot every run, not enough variety for me...... what made IWD 1/2 so great, randomness add so much variety to what you used!
  • _N8__N8_ Member Posts: 77
    Inquisitor/Keldorn with Carsomyr+5, Cloak of Mirroring, Strength gloves or belt, and Keldorn's armor (if Keldorn). Unstoppable mage killing machine.