Aerie
    Imoen

ToB (Full party achievement unlocked)
    Jaheria
    Minsc
    Aerie
    Imoen
    Sarevok

Well... true. But to free space for Sarevok one of the NPC's would have to die before or durning the final battle with Irenicus, but I don't really see it happening. If I were to write a BG2 book I would use that empty slot to introduce little personal quests of other NPC's interwoven into the main narrative one at a time.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    My current idea with the final open slot pre-ToB is to just try to get every NPCs personal quest done.
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    Canon for me in BG2 (BG1 canon is obvoius) is:

Fighter/Mage multi
    Jaheria
    Minsc
    Aerie (she becomes Minsc's new witch)
    Imoen
    Empty slot saved for Sarevok in TOB

That party can handle anything; Tactics, Ascension, Redemption, you name it. Plus I really feel it's the true canon party.
    @Kortok

I'm running a F/M through right now (granted not with the Canon party) and outside of a Mage/Cleric (assuming you don't take Aerie, which as you note is kinda against what would likely be considered canon) I think the best option would be a bard. You still get the arcane magic you need, but you level a LOT faster, you get pickpocket (so all your thieves don't have to worry about it and you can get some really nice items), and you can still get up to level 6 spells. As extra icing on the cake, you get the lovely use any item in ToB.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    I think you are likely to get Nalia at the beggining of the game and once you get Imoen, she becomes redundant, thus easily replacable with Sarevok.
    @Pecca

As has previously been noted however, Aerie becomes Minsc new witch.

And personally I feel Imoen and Nalia are redundant so I'd get rid of her then.
    edited October 2012
    Well it is just following logic go-with-whoever-you-bump-into-first - which is Nalia, not Anomen, since she initiates dialog in Copper Coronet. Personally I think there is no sixth canon party member in SoA.
    Oh agreed, using that logic she would be. But as I've looked back at it I think you're right its Aerie and an empy space until ToB.

Now I have to decide whether to finish my F/M and Elf party or just get right to barding. The question will be how many more vanilla parties I want to play through before I just say screw it and install Tutu.
    It is little weird to have two romancing options in canon party though...
    I agree it is, but I think Aerie is still more likely than Nalia as an npc. In my case I'm going to have no romance options in my party =/.
    Still weird. Unless you take HaerDalis and let him romance her. He could be the sixth, since his quest is sort of compulsory for her.
    @Pecca

I have considered that addition, especially for SoA, but that would mean I'd likely have 2 blades in my party at that point since my own Bard (I think that's what I'll run with the party if I bring Aerie) would be a Blade as well.
    Well I think that canon CHARNAME should be a fighter, but hell... I'm overthinking this! You should simply go with the party that just feels right...
    Overthinking is half the fun! The entire point of the thread is having fun overthinking a maximized Canon party.

@Kortok

I'm running a F/M through right now (granted not with the Canon party) and outside of a Mage/Cleric (assuming you don't take Aerie, which as you note is kinda against what would likely be considered canon) I think the best option would be a bard. You still get the arcane magic you need, but you level a LOT faster, you get pickpocket (so all your thieves don't have to worry about it and you can get some really nice items), and you can still get up to level 6 spells. As extra icing on the cake, you get the lovely use any item in ToB.

Bard doesn't come close to the power level of a f/m (maybe a blade does?) but it really doesn't matter and I think a blade is a fine choice for the PC. Really though, the f/m is just the most grossly overpowered class I have ever played in these games. Pickpocket and UAI is nothing compared to timestop/project image loops. My post was more about my thoughts on what I consider the BG2 canon party to be.

@Kortok

Bards can still lay Time Stop traps and are still going up to 6th level spells.

@Kortok

Bards can still lay Time Stop traps and are still going up to 6th level spells.

Yep I'm a fan of bards for sure.
    I think the thing that FMT and FM has in their favor (ignoring dual class where they just laugh at us and goes kensai or berserker into mage) is the 7th and 8th spell levels. That said they're going to be levelling a LOT slower. Furthermore, you also have Offensive and Defensive spin to help you out and try to make up some of the difference, especially if you pop Offensive Spin then hit Tensers.
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    @Dragonspear: that is more or less what I was thinking when creating my last character. I made a cleric, but

Upon thinking about this more, I determined that indeed a cleric of some sort would be a preferrable option to a F/M or Bard.

In particular one thing I'm noticing is that Jaheria really isn't starting to cut it come Cloakwood, therefore you do need some sort of other divine caster. A cleric is obviously the better choice due to their wider spell selection, however a Fighter/Cleric (Dual or Multi) will share the same role as Jaheria, that of the de facto tank of your party. They'll likely be using a shield and be up front while your more warrior type characters at this point lay out a beat down.

This means our current party is as follows (Only including Canon AND WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS):

THARRRRRR BE SPOILERS UNDER HERE!

IF YE DON'T WANT THINGS TO BE SPOILED, STOP READING NOW!

Disclaimer: This is pre BGEE and not using BGTutu or BGT where some of the weapon proficiency gets screwy. Like Khalid being Dual Wielding Bastard swords.

[Spoiler]BG1/ToTSC
    [/Spoiler]

That's more or less what I was thinking when creating my last character. A human cleric that will be dualed to a mage, once I get one slot with level 7 divine spells. I'll probably dual him right before going into Watcher's Keep in order to boost him outside the events of the main story. A mage is the best class to dual to in ToB anyway, memorizing level 9 spells can turn a greenhorn lvl1 mage into a helpful supportive caster right away.