Skip to content

Happy Thanksgiving

DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
Got up at 6:30AM to get the turkeys out of the brine and start smoking them

After about 4 hours in the hickory smoke, I brought them inside to stuff them with wild rice and will finish them in the oven. I cooked the rice in last years smoky turkey stock I've been saving in the freezer all year. Finishing them inside the oven, I can collect the drippings for gravy.

I've got a sweet potato pie I made the other night, garlic and chive mashed potatoes, maple syrup sweet potatoes, fried okra, collard greens, green beans and my home made tangerine cranberry sauce.

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    When do you want us all to show up for dinner? 7:30 work?
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Looks good! I just spent about an hour making stuffing. Apples, applesauce, walnuts, bacon, onions, celery, bacon grease and the bread, of course. Wetted down with chicken broth. Oh, so good!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    This Thanksgiving was a pleasant surprise. We weren't sure if the finances were gonna allow a special meal, but a last minute random gift made everything possible. We had an old family recipe that I didn't think I'd ever get again.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    edited November 2018
    There were far too many sweets leftover that I had no room to try. I had made a sweet potato pie. My sister brought a pumpkin pie and a pineapple upside down cake. My friend's brought penny cakes, bon bons and a cheese cake, and some of my other friends brought some other pastries. Best thing someone brought was a bottle of Woodford Reserve, which I'm enjoying now.

The hickory smoked turkey is always awesome, it's like if turkey could be ham. Even the gravy from the drippings is super smokey. I forgot to take a pic before I carved them, but here's a pic from last years.

I swear it's not burned, it just absorbed so much smoke, after they're baked they turn black.

BTW, I baste my turkey with butter, honey, rosemary and bourbon.
    Post edited by DrHappyAngry on
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

The hickory smoked turkey is always awesome, it's like if turkey could be ham.

SIGN ME RIGHT THE HELL UP!
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited November 2018
    A-a-a-ah!!! Unholy magics are afoot! The turkeys are possessed! These birds are FOWL!!!
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577

The hickory smoked turkey is always awesome, it's like if turkey could be ham.

SIGN ME RIGHT THE HELL UP!
    You should try hickory smoked salmon, it's like if salmon could be ham ;)